Our low tackle count (and overall game plan this year)

Remove this Banner Ad

There were still a few kicks into the forward 50 that just went long and high. D. Pearce had one or two and there were a few others. All of them got picked off by either Taylor or Blicavs. Clarke did us no favours by consistently being worked under the ball and not competing in the air. I'm thinking these entries were merely lapses in concentration from the kicker, or last resort kicks when under pressure.

Apeness reads the ball and crashes the pack, and it may be beneficial to run him to see how that goes.

Didn't Lyon say something to the effect that we are focusing very hard on continuously giving the opposition team something new to look at? I think he was referring specifically to Mundy at the time, but said it was a key focus of the entire team.

Makes sense when you think about. Keep moving about the more versatile players like Mundy, Fyfe, Pavlich & Sutcliffe and keep forcing the opposition to put their players in positions and situations they may not be quite as comfortable with.

For instance: No midfielder really wants to have to run with Fyfe when he pushes forward, very few forwards have the tank to chase after Sutcliffe when he continuously runs the wings and Pavlich in the midfield must just look kind of intimidating, especially when he is paired with Fyfe and Mundy.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2015/04/07/fast-footy-delivers-goods-round-1/

The talk around town during the off-season was of clubs looking to adopt the attacking attitudes, if not the game styles, of Hawthorn and Port for 2015, or at least mimic them to the extent that the player groups at each respective club could handle.

Fast footy was going to be on the menu this season, and we saw the evidence of it immediately over the weekend.

Instantly playing on after a mark or free kick was very much to the fore. 45-degree kicks inboard, which are the most effective in breaking the lines, were commonplace

Saving three or four seconds when making a decision with ball in hand is critical on a football field. An AFL player can cover 25 to 30 metres in that time to cover off a man or guard the space in front of a dangerous leading option.

Interesting article - of note because our training observers during pre-season noted Lyon coaching on 45 degree kicks, and having 2-3 seconds to make a decision before moving the ball on.

Another interesting thing is that we're currently 1st on the ladder, and last in the league for tackles.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-04-28/is-david-mundy-the-next-shaun-burgoyne

"
In 2015, Mundy has gathered 62 per cent of his possessions in the back half whereas in 2014 he grabbed 55 per cent of his possessions in that section of the ground

Mundy isn't yet pushing back defensively, gathering a significant percentage of his disposals between the centre and the defensive 50 but he has the capacity to play as a defender if needed.

What Mundy isn't doing this year is pushing too hard forward, gathering just five per cent of his touches inside forward 50 and he is yet to kick a goal

Four games is a small sample size but in each of the past seven seasons Mundy has gathered no fewer than 8.8 per cent of his possessions inside the forward 50.

In both round one against Port Adelaide and Saturday, Mundy was the first midfielder with his hands on the ball in the last quarter accepting the responsibility to get to work.

Against the Sydney Swans, Mundy picked up 10 disposals in the last quarter, had three clearances and put the ball inside 50 on three occasions, launching one score.

"

MundyBurgoyneHeatMaps.jpg

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...tched-by-miserly-defence-20150430-1mwztm.html

"
Fremantle remains the only unbeaten side after four rounds and has been applauded at the start of the 2015 season for being a more attacking team.

However, while the Dockers are clearly finding more avenues to goal than any other team this season, they have scored fewer points per game in the first four rounds than they did, on average, over the 2014 home and away season.

Fremantle scored an average of 92.23 points per game in 2014, compared to the 91 point average they have managed to start 2015.

Their attack is currently ranked only seventh, with West Coast and Hawthorn sharing top honours, those two teams scoring 13.25 points per game more than the Dockers.

What the new version of Fremantle does boast is having more players hitting the scoreboard regularly than any other side."

#2 in defense, #7 in attack

What the journos haven't taken into account is the quality of our opposition to date. I suspect our attack rating will jump over the next 4 games to start reflecting the increased attacking power we have.

Should we review the teams we've played vs the teams with higher scores? Or would that be too simplistic and doesn't support the established narrative.

I think the statistics will balance out over the season as we play easier opponents, and others play harder ones. I do believe our attack is better than it's currently rated though as a result of playing Port Adelaide and Sydney. West Coast and Hawthorn for example who are #1 for attack have only played one top 4 contender. GWS who are #3 have played 1 contender and 3 witches hats. The data is skewed, but will balance out over time.

Stats for inside 50s this season - ordered by % retained

#1 Stephen Hill (Frem) 18 kicks inside 50 / 66.7% retained

Trent Cotchin (Rich) 17/ 58.8%

Dane Swan (Coll) 25 / 56.0%

#4 Nat Fyfe (Frem) 23 / 52.2%

David Armitage (StK) 19 / 47.4%

#6 Danyle Pearce (Frem) 22 / 45.5%

Jordan Lewis (Haw) 26 / 42.3%

Dion Prestia (GC) 17 / 41.2%

Harley Bennell (GC) 18 / 38.9%

Patrick Dangerfield (Adel) 18 / 38.9%

Scott Pendlebury (Coll) 18 / 38.9%

Interesting that Fyfe (3rd overall in the league) has more inside 50s than Pearce at a higher retention this season. Hill is by far the most damaging (we already knew that).

Interesting that Fyfe (3rd overall in the league) has more inside 50s than Pearce at a higher retention this season. Hill is by far the most damaging (we already knew that).

What a stat!

Josh Kennedy must dream about how much better and consistent his life would be if he moved down the road.

I'm surprised that Fyfe's % is so high.
Not complaining.

Would be interested to see passes within F50. Balla's, Walters and Mzungas(?) would go alright.

Where did you find these stats?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"GWS like to use their hands. They handball out of stoppages more than any other side, clearing the congestion by hand 62.3 per cent of time. The next-highest is ladder-leader Fremantle at 56.4 per cent."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...have-come-of-age/story-fni5f7qp-1227368755730

Reminds me of when Richmond used to put their +1 at the back of the stoppage and would go on a handball chain to get the ball out of congestion. I remember watching that game (a season or two ago) thinking that we struggled to get a clearance and they were just handballing it out too easily

Interesting comment from Buckley on 360 Monday night. He mentioned that no team had worked out how to combat our uncontested ball movement.

I believe this is the first time that the Freo game plan is revolutionary. I tip my hat to RTB.

The thread title reminds of a post some Crows wankjob posted on our board a couple of years ago - something like 'Your Game Plan' and then slaughtered our game style. It's fun beating Adelaide now.

Is there stats around of who gets tackled the most? I think that's another stat Fyfe would be leading at. And would they count it per passage of play, or by how many guys are hanging off him?

I think we're tactically losing the tackle count. Because there's no other team that has a player that can effectively grab a contested ground ball, get tackled, and handball it off to a player in the clear.

Is there stats around of who gets tackled the most? I think that's another stat Fyfe would be leading at. And would they count it per passage of play, or by how many guys are hanging off him?

I think we're tactically losing the tackle count. Because there's no other team that has a player that can effectively grab a contested ground ball, get tackled, and handball it off to a player in the clear.

Yep Ross doesn't care about the tackle count anymore, its all about ball movement which also helps keep players fresh.

Yep Ross doesn't care about the tackle count anymore, its all about ball movement which also helps keep players fresh.

Yeah that's it, tackling is so energy sapping and leaves players drained fast. That's why I'm in awe of a taggers fitness since they have to chase a player and tackle all game.

Interesting comment from Buckley on 360 Monday night. He mentioned that no team had worked out how to combat our uncontested ball movement.

I believe this is the first time that the Freo game plan is revolutionary. I tip my hat to RTB.

Gerard Neesham run and stun (from water polo)
Chris Connolly high use of interchange
even Mark Harvey forward pressure (taken by Malthouse to win a premiership)
okay, not sure about the last.

We've been revolutionary before. We just didn't have the cattle, or the plan wasn't that good. Revolutions aren't necessarily good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back