Opinion Our possible AA nominations

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 17, 2010
Waverley Park
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Dragons FFC
We have a whole host of players with genuine claims to the AA 40 at least.

Danger - while he hasn't been as good as previous seasons the AA selectors have a thing about selecting players like him (Judd, Pavlich). Losing Roo hurts his chances.

Sloane - consistently good all year, moved up to 7th in the CD player rankings.

Betts - third best small forward this year behind Ballantyne and Breust. Goal assists and pressure acts work in his favour.

Jacobs - surely a lock for #1 ruck.

Smith - leading the league for meters gained and averaging 24+ disposals.

Talia - may be less recognized due to less stats but has only had 2/3 games where his opponent has kicked more than 2.

My guess is all 6 will make the 40, and three will make the 22 with Danger and Sloane missing out.

Last edited:
Based on form. Smith and Sauce should be the only 2 who make the actual side.

Talia and Betts are a chance to make the All Australian Squad of 40...

It doesn't have as much to do with it being the VFL as much as the All Australian team is mostly made up of players from top 4 sides.

Smith needs a couple of good games to put it beyond doubt. Last two weeks have been quiet.

Jacobs in ahead of Sandilands and Goldstein for mine.

Dangerfield and Betts no.

Sloane a maybe for the bench if he has a big finish.

I think Talia will be squeezed out for Hooker and Taylor.

Smith has constantly been talked up this year as a chance from commentators and the like. Has a very distinct and memorable style which can only help.

You could see Smith, Jacobs and Talia all making the squad of 40. In fact if at least 2 of them don't it would be a crime. Sloane's a chance because he's noticeable and likeable.

If Jacobs isn't the ruck, i'll spit it.

Sandi started well, but has faded. Jacobs is just getting better

I'd lock him and Talia in. Smith a chance

That's about it. Can't see Danger making the 40 man. Not been good enough (ie injured)

Crows players will be up against it to get into the All Australian team. Firstly we are not a top four side. Secondly we are not based in Melbourne. Thirdly, we have had a wildly inconsistent year. Most players playing well one week, then no where to be seen the next. I think Sauce is our best chance. If we get one of Smith or Talia in as well we should consider ourselves to be very fortunate.

Talia is the best tall defender in the comp.
He must make it.
Sauce's last month has been exceptional. But chances are the selectors will go with the poster boy Nic Nat somehow.

SC points aren't the be all and end all, but Sloaney has only scored under 100 points 3 times this year. Averaging 114 points a game, 24 disposals and 7 tackles.

You;d have to think the midfield currently is Pendles, Kennedy, Fyfe, Rockliff and Selwood. With Sloane, Priddis, Beams, Ward, Heppell and Liberatore battling it out for the last few spots.

Harvey will be selected as a forward I would think.

Jacobs surely is a lock for 1 of the two ruck spots.

Smith and Talia are also on the edge. All 3 will be in the squad of 40.

Great avatar Danoz by the way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think Talia will make it.

Given the hype from the media/commentators, I'm pretty confident of Smith and Jacobs making the final cut. I reckon Talia will be in the 40, but not in the final team.

I think the selectors will find a way to only include 2 of Talia, Smith and Sauce in the final 22, as we're going to finish between 7th and 11th which doesn't really justify 3 selections.

Smith is the only absolute lock. The metres gained stat is impossible to ignore and he's quite simply going to make it unless his next 3 weeks are atrocious.

Talia and Sauce are both locks for the 40 man squad. I definitely think Hooker will be one of the key defenders, and Talia deserves to be the other, but I'm not 100% sure if he'll get the nod.

Same goes for Sauce. If they select two ruckmen he's clearly in, but the Gerard Healys of the world are obsessed with Sandilands so he might get the nod if they only go with 1 dinosaur.

Personally I don't think anyone else from our squad, including Sloane, Dangerfield, Thommo and Betts, will make the final 40.

Gut feeling: Smith on a half back flank, Sauce first ruck and Talia to controversially miss out.

Jacobs will be all australian ruck. Danger will make the squad because he's danger. Smith should at least make the 40, and Talia really should be all australian full back but I don't even think he is recognised enough to even make the squad

You'd have to think the midfield currently is Pendles, Kennedy, Fyfe, Rockliff and Selwood. With Sloane, Priddis, Beams, Ward, Heppell and Liberatore battling it out for the last few spots.

That would have to be pretty close.

Ben McGlynn as my smokey

Would be criminal if he didn't make it. I play Ultimate-Footy with some mates and I drafted him with my 24th pick (pick 140 overall) - one of my mates said, "he's ******* spud dean what are you ******* stupid?" and laughed at me. Fast forward to the end of the season, that guy is stone motherless last on the table, and McGlynn averaged 103 for the year - and it's 3-0 my way. You'd know all about him if he played in Victoria, but he's in Sydney and everyone focuses on Moneybags, Partyboy and AOTY instead.

SQUAD: Jacobs Talia Sloane Smith
AA: Jacobs, Talia, Smith on the bench.

Danger will make the squad I can't t see why more people aren't nominating him

Among other midfielders

Averages 3.21 centre clearances number 1 in afl (very elite)
Averages 6.1 clearances ranked equal 5th (very elite)
Averages 17 contested possessions ranked 2nd (very elite)
Averages 25.5 disposals ranked 19 (elite)
Averages 4.5 inside 50s ranked 7th (very elite)
Kicked 16 goals this season ranked 3rd among midfielders

SC points aren't the be all and end all, but Sloaney has only scored under 100 points 3 times this year. Averaging 114 points a game, 24 disposals and 7 tackles.

You;d have to think the midfield currently is Pendles, Kennedy, Fyfe, Rockliff and Selwood. With Sloane, Priddis, Beams, Ward, Heppell and Liberatore battling it out for the last few spots.

Harvey will be selected as a forward I would think.

Jacobs surely is a lock for 1 of the two ruck spots.

Smith and Talia are also on the edge. All 3 will be in the squad of 40.

Great avatar Danoz by the way.
He how could you not have danger in that mix, he's been much better than liberatore and ward this season

This is my team criticise it if you wish

B M.Jhonson D.Talia N.Smith
HB B.Smith S.May N.Malceski
C J.Kennedy T.Rockliff S.Pendlebury
HF D.Beams N.riewoldt L.Breust
F R.Gray L.Franklin J.Roughead
R S.Jacobs P.Dangerfield N.fyfe
I/C B.Harvey J.Selwood E.Betts R.Sloane

Among other midfielders

Think he averages 16 con poss, and yep he should make the squad

Smith, Talia and Jacobs are the obvious picks and I don't think any will get in. Smith has the biggest chance though. Sandilands or Goldstein will probably get ahead of Jacobs and they will probably take someone like Taylor as the CHB.

Betts won't get much of a look in with guys like Robbie Gray, Ben McGlynn and Hayden Ballantine to be looked ahead of him too. If Danger makes it then it'll likely be purely off reputation.

Among other midfielders

After thinking about it I think Danger may make it. Yes he hasn't been the perfect dominant player we all know he can be, but he's still been the best player on the ground in a handfull of games this year.

It may be an ironic thing to say after everything that's been said about Danger throughout his career, but I think he's actually been underrated this year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back