Our recycled four

Remove this Banner Ad

Whilst Young was only 20, a good recruiter would have noticed due to the nature of his game and playing style, there wasn't much improvement or development left in him (and in fact this season he actually went backwards)
He wasn't like a Jong or JJ with physical and athletic attributes that would create an upside. He wasn't like a Mitch Wallis with an innate ability to read the game and gather the ball. He wasn't like any rookie ruckman, whether he be an Eddie Prato or a Dean Cox from the Rookie draft, where his physical height gave something to work with. Despite his young age, a good recruiter should have realised that his developmental potential was limited, and in that sense it was a poor recruit.
Have to disagree again. He had next to no tank when he got to the club. He also had just won Collingwood's reserves best and fairest. Sure he had deficiencies, who doesn't at pick 70 odd. But maybe we thought he was worth a shot and with some training could be a decent role player. Much like any low level recruit.

He was 20, tall, had a good work ethic, decent skills (unfortunately not under pressure) and read the play well. Maybe we thought getting his tank to par and giving him a defined role would've helped. Hell he was basically a tall, younger (not as hard) Picken. It didn't but it was far from an egregious error.

Have to disagree again. He had next to no tank when he got to the club. He also had just won Collingwood's reserves best and fairest. Sure he had deficiencies, who doesn't at pick 70 odd. But maybe we thought he was worth a shot and with some training could be a decent role player. Much like any low level recruit.

He was 20, tall, had a good work ethic, decent skills (unfortunately not under pressure) and read the play well. Maybe we thought getting his tank to par and giving him a defined role would've helped. Hell he was basically a tall, younger (not as hard) Picken. It didn't but it was far from an egregious error.
It may sound a bit weird, but I actually agree with you. As seen earlier in this thread I wasn't against recruiting him. I'm just playing devil's advocate and suggesting a possible counter view, which I agree with somewhat and not entirely. Hindsight tells us it was a poor pick, but hindsight knows everything.

Hindsight? This is about having no foresight.
It was deluded to think we could make an afl player out of an undersized, slow and poorly skilled reject from another club.
Add the fact Collingwood overate their players

Hindsight? This is about having no foresight.
It was deluded to think we could make an afl player out of an undersized, slow and poorly skilled reject from another club.
Add the fact Collingwood overate their players
Besides your insults to fellow supporters of the club, in general I actually agree with you in this thread.

Maybe 1 of the four was worth the risk, but surely given the state of our list risking on more KPP's makes more sense

Sorry Mr Gimp you aren't spared in thread. You like Mr Timtam look silly but would never admit you were wrong without condition.
Same goes for Nathan

You said they were going to be stars, and not all of them turned out to be stars. You were way off the mark old fella, admit you were wrong, and move on.

You agreed with me then you go on about hindsight again?
Yes you were right with the four players as they were not players for positions we need.

Hindsight makes the decisions even less favourable as in the 2 seasons since we have still not addressed the fundamental issues that picking up those four players failed to address.

When you put some substance to your arguments you may find we are not that far apart with quite a few of our views

Mighta, coulda, woulda, shoulda and if.
One certainly won't or not at our club, the other is far from it.

Again I ask have we stopped paying our trade picks, did they walk in off the street(no picks used) or did we spent no time/resources in educating/training them? All I hear is they cost us nothing.
As I said 2 years back nothing ventured, nothing gained.
So you never make a mistake at your work Ernie? Show me a club that has never made a drafting mistake - hey even the Premiers recruited Garlett who never even played a game for them,

So you never make a mistake at your work Ernie? Show me a club that has never made a drafting mistake - hey even the Premiers recruited Garlett who never even played a game for them,
They picked Mitch Thorp ahead of Selwood.
Yet still beat them in every knockout final since then.

If he could tackle like Picken he probably would still be on the list

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes you were right with the four players as they were not players for positions we need.

Hindsight makes the decisions even less favourable as in the 2 seasons since we have still not addressed the fundamental issues that picking up those four players failed to address.

When you put some substance to your arguments you may find we are not that far apart with quite a few of our views
Maybe when you start to believe what's in front of you'll catch up.

Who said that? These recycled were bound to fail. I said it 3 years back.

This about getting more right than wrong and maybe risking on high returns with those late picks.

As for Garlett it was worth the risk for them given they had a great list already.

If he could tackle like Picken he probably would still be on the list
I knew someone was going to pick me up on the Picken comparison. I was more talking about the idea of picking a guy who dominated the VFL like Picken had, who also had some deficiencies in his game.
Tom young is hands down the worst tackler I've ever seen on our list. Couldn't grass anyone. Was weird for such a big dude.
He has a concave chest, thus no upper body strength, it freaks me out.

They were recycled though, that's the fact of the story
You need to look up the word "fact". Goodes wasn't recycled, and Stevens was head hunted, he was no more recycled than Crameri. Young and Lower are the only players that can be claimed to have been recycled.
The real facts are that, that draft was extremely shallow and we decided to find some role players (Goodes and Lower) and a couple of non-traditional long-term prospects (Stevens and Young). Lower, Goodes and Stevens worked out okay and Young didn't. No harm done really.

I knew someone was going to pick me up on the Picken comparison. I was more talking about the idea of picking a guy who dominated the VFL like Picken had, who also had some deficiencies in his game.

He has a concave chest, thus no upper body strength, it freaks me out.

Exactly Immortal , only one thing worse in a footballer - A Mouth Breather :eek:

Who blamed macca here?
So you do agree that our current predicament with our list is the responsibility of more than one person so the majority of the football department needs to be replaced to achieve the results you desire

Remove this Banner Ad

Back