Our W/L record against all teams

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone remember some ad in the late 90s when we couldn't beat them and there was 2 blokes sitting on a couch watching Freo win in a string of derbies in the future lamenting "I told you we should have bought the Dockers..."

Funny how that is now the reality :)

Does anyone remember some ad in the late 90s when we couldn't beat them and there was 2 blokes sitting on a couch watching Freo win in a string of derbies in the future lamenting "I told you we should have bought the Dockers..."

Funny how that is now the reality :)
Through years of intense Hypnotherapy, I had managed to erase all memories of the late 90's.

Thanks for the flashback.

Looking at the crowd figures in that table, it appears as if we haven't been able to match the 42K+ figures of the 2004-06 period. I wonder if that is because there is more to do in Perth now, or some other reasons. People used to fall over each other to score one of the hottest tickets in town.

Probably due to that being the biggest peak in the rivalry to date - two pretty good teams having a series of spiteful encounters.

The eagles haven't kept up their end of the bargain since then, but even so, the derby crowds in the new stadium should be great.

Interesting looking through the second table (player derby stats):
  • Pavlich leads in - game, kicks, marks, disposals, goals, behinds, I50s, clangers, FA, contested possessions, uncontested possessions, contested marks, marks I50, and goal assists.
  • Pavlich is 2nd behind Priddis for tackles and 3rd for FF after Cox and Kerr.
  • Breat Peake in his 8 games has had more running bounces than any other derby player.

Interesting looking through the second table (player derby stats):
  • Pavlich leads in - game, kicks, marks, disposals, goals, behinds, I50s, clangers, FA, contested possessions, uncontested possessions, contested marks, marks I50, and goal assists.
  • Pavlich is 2nd behind Priddis for tackles and 3rd for FF after Cox and Kerr.
  • Breat Peake in his 8 games has had more running bounces than any other derby player.

Look at Glass' 1%ers though. They would have loved to have him out there on Sunday, that's for sure

I can't tell if I'm missing something, but I think this says that in total games to date we have the equal highest win / loss percentage in the league with Port Adelaide.

http://afltables.com/afl/teams/allteams/overall_wl.html

I think that first % column is total goal-kicking accuracy.

I noticed all the modern teams have a higher accuracy rate than the old VFL clubs, which doesn't support the whinging about modern players missing more shots than they used to.

Looking at the crowd figures in that table, it appears as if we haven't been able to match the 42K+ figures of the 2004-06 period. I wonder if that is because there is more to do in Perth now, or some other reasons. People used to fall over each other to score one of the hottest tickets in town.
These games are all sold out. I suspect that the drop in crowd has been caused by the clubs now having a percentage of aged members who never go, fifo and other absentee members not giving up their ticket and capacity not actually being the official 43500.

These games are all sold out. I suspect that the drop in crowd has been caused by the clubs now having a percentage of aged members who never go, fifo and other absentee members not giving up their ticket and capacity not actually being the official 43500.

I think a bit to do with this would be the crazy, game starting times now.

ANy gap below 44k in any WCE home game is due to members with paid seats not turning up. The non use of other seats is minimal.

With an 8 to 9 year waiting list no one is able to miss a season if they are working overseas for a year, on a long holiday etc. So a lot of seat ownership is defensive.

ANy gap below 44k in any WCE home game is due to members with paid seats not turning up. The non use of other seats is minimal.

With an 8 to 9 year waiting list no one is able to miss a season if they are working overseas for a year, on a long holiday etc. So a lot of seat ownership is defensive.
At least somebody defends at WC.

The turnup rate is a lot better here than in Melbourne. Collingwood got 33k to their last home game and they're running around claiming over 70k members.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The turnup rate is a lot better here than in Melbourne. Collingwood got 33k to their last home game and they're running around claiming over 70k members.
And I was one of those as a neutral! It was really sad how many people were there. It was terrible weather though which would've put a lot of people off

Does anyone feel AFL is on the down swing in terms of popularity and mass appeal. It would be sad if they finally got the new stadium built and they couldn't fill it even for finals and derbies. I don't base that on any stats or anything just a feeling.

I've got no idea, but i'll just about guarantee you that both clubs will sell out their membership allocation at the new stadium before the season starts.

When I was a kid the local park hosted soccer matches on the weekend.

After their silly round ball games were over, a few mates and I would go onto the field and kick a footy around. On one occasion one of the older (wow that’s six words starting with the letter o out of seven, but I digress) soccer supporters asked us why we were kicking a football and not a soccer ball. I think I told him it was because “We haven’t had frontal lobotomies”. He said “In a couple of years everyone will be playing soccer, no one will even remember Aussie Rules … and what’s a lobotomy?” That was nearly 45 years ago.

Every few years I heard the same thing, until the world discovered Google, now they know what a lobotomy is. They were just as bad with the soccer taking over from Aussie Rules bit as well. The inevitable ascendance of soccer in this country is bull$hit.

I have retained a cutting from the West Australian dated 6/6/2003. In the Extra Time column Dave Hughes wrote “About 188000 Perth viewers watched the soccer final on Channel 7 last Sunday compared with 275000 for the Eagles-Essendon game on Channel 9”. The soccer final featured Perth Glory winning their first ever national championship, the AFL game was a routine round 10 clash (Essendon won by 22 points).

Perth Glory attendances this season are averaging about 9500 per game. Their home ground used to draw similar attendances back in the days when East Perth were based there (pre AFL) … in the middle of winter … when the centre square was a mud heap due to the underlying cricket pitches (yes they used to play first grade cricket at Perth Oval). Those attendances were matched at three other grounds on the same day.

Aussie sports lovers love their sport to be fiercely contested and fair dinkum. We hate sport where players ponce around like prima donnas and fall to the ground faster than Frenchmen dropping at the sound of a pop gun.

It’s called Aussie Rules and it will always rule in this country.

Yeah the A-League is largely diabolical. I went to a game this year and there is so much apathy on the pitch and in the stands despite a victory. The A-League needs another re brand already.

The Australian national team is on a solid trajectory though. Apparently the Asia cup attendance was surprisingly successful. Averaging 21k (Wiki) a match is not bad. Would that have happened back in 2003?

I hope Sweetback is wrong though. AFL is far superior as a spectator sport.

Don't they want to keep 10k for GA, meaning there will only be an extra 10k memberships available, if that?

Funny how Hawthorn rates quite low given their dominance over the last 50 years.. That period between 1993-2000 definitely skews their stats. Thought would be above 50%.

It took them something like 30 years to make the finals for the first time I think. That would have ****ed their average a bit.

Hawthorn were a s**t football club in general until the 70s. No better than Dogs or St Kilda.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back