Ovens and King 2015 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a tough one Bunyip - they do a good job the vast majority of the time, but in a cut throat match you have to be able to get the simple things right, and what I saw was unacceptable. I'm still expecting a backlash, but as yet the only feedback I've had has been supportive.
You should volunteer to umpire a game nonch

I am going to agree and disagree with you on this topic Nonch. I was at the game on Saturday with no bias either, as I do not follow Milawa or Glenrowan. I agree with you that there were some very questionable calls in the last quarter. However, I disagree with your decision to write the article as I beleive that it will serve no good for umpiring in our area. These people are not highly paid and for the most part are just there so we can get a game of footy going, they are a big part of our game (like it or not). They are also local people in our community that would have probably picked up the paper this morning and read your article. I respect your work and thought it was a very well written and inoffensive piece, but I don't think it needed to be written. Just my point of veiw so please don't take this as an attack!

I am going to agree and disagree with you on this topic Nonch. I was at the game on Saturday with no bias either, as I do not follow Milawa or Glenrowan. I agree with you that there were some very questionable calls in the last quarter. However, I disagree with your decision to write the article as I beleive that it will serve no good for umpiring in our area. These people are not highly paid and for the most part are just there so we can get a game of footy going, they are a big part of our game (like it or not). They are also local people in our community that would have probably picked up the paper this morning and read your article. I respect your work and thought it was a very well written and inoffensive piece, but I don't think it needed to be written. Just my point of veiw so please don't take this as an attack!

I don't take that as an attack at all Plizer - all well thought out and valid points. I thought long and hard over whether or not to run the story and certainly considered those arguments, and in the end I just felt that it needed to be said.

The way I see it, umpires are not volunteers - they are paid to do a job regardless of how much or how little it is. And if they are making "very questionable calls" in such a tight match, you can't just accept that. You wouldn't want to see it in a final.

Ultimately it's a delicate subject, and we're all entitled to our opinions. We all deal with criticism - it's just a matter of owning your decisions and being comfortable with them.

Yep heard I heard rumour as well he is on the move , been told the Billabong Crows are into him up to there ears , part of the deal is a 2 year contract , with his new best little mate as his assistant coach and 2 blocks of land in Oaklands as a sign on fee plus they're going to buy him a heap of cattle and a cattle trailer cos he keeps stuffing the one he lends .

Also heard goal kicking machine Mat Duffy is out of Tigerland as well , been linked with Rennie apparently , big dollars on offer and a painting apprenticeship.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep heard I heard rumour as well he is on the move , been told the Billabong Crows are into him up to there ears , part of the deal is a 2 year contract , with his new best little mate as his assistant coach and 2 blocks of land in Oaklands as a sign on fee plus they're going to buy him a heap of cattle and a cattle trailer cos he keeps stuffing the one he lends .
Billabong Crows have a coach, and a very good one at that in Danny Stevens.
They may be talking to him but it won't be to coach.

Billabong Crows have a coach, and a very good one at that in Danny Stevens.
They may be talking to him but it won't be to coach.

Think you'll find trooper70 is throwing out some bait... Must be a slow week for selling furniture. have to wait for his brother to get on here and support him hey franklin gws?

Must need that trailer to move the horses around for a few more modelling shots?

I see Brandon Ryan played for Milawa today. Late season inclusion for the demons. Will be handy

Also see Scott Bradley playing in Glenrowans seconds. Surely he is in there best 21??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I see Brandon Ryan played for Milawa today. Late season inclusion for the demons. Will be handy

Also see Scott Bradley playing in Glenrowans seconds. Surely he is in there best 21??

Very handy for Milawa to have Ryan in, feel for the young bloke who has missed out though....

And Scott Bradley has played a few in the magoos, a few of the Glenrowan players have been backing up, Matt Robinson is another! Watched a Glenrowan game a few week back and was surprised to see how there 2's were on top, to be honest they were terrible, could have been an off day, but since then they have dropped a couple, could be a straight sets exit!

He has just come back to play twos from what I've heard, but it wouldn't surprise me if he does sneak up into the ones if he gets a bit of form going.

He has just come back to play twos from what I've heard, but it wouldn't surprise me if he does sneak up into the ones if he gets a bit of form going.
I noticed on SportingPulse he has played 3 games. Just enough to qualify for finals.... No doubt that will be a big help to them come finals time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back