Analysis Overall Trade/Draft discussion 2015

Chad WinGOAT

Senior List
May 22, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Dixon - Massive win. Fills a desperate need. Would've liked to keep our 2nd rounder next year to gain maximum value.
Toumpas - Solid backup / depth. Very little cost (even if you count Ben Newton in the deal from 12 months ago - which I do)

Bonner - We would've picked him up with our first pick (12 after academy selections) if we hadn't used it on Dixon. To get him for pick 39 is massive value. Doesn't necessarily fill a need on our list. But is incredibly talented IMO.
Johnson - Complete unknown at the moment due to his injury plagued year. Very little cost (3rd round pick). Could be a boom. Could be a bust. Don't think anyone would be concerned/ upset if he doesn't make it. That being said I think he could pull a Brandon Ah Chee, build his body/ frame for a couple seasons and then burst onto the scene. Also fills a need if Monfries drops away in the next few seasons.

Edit: We would've paid our 2nd rounder (39) for Johnson had Bonner not been available. So another player for massive unders in regards to price paid.

Snelling - Decent pick. Worth a go. Seems similar to Sam Gray. Don't know if it fills a need though. Will help the Maggies in the SANFL though.
Hewett - lol i donno
Houston - lol i donno

Overall marks.
List needs - 9/10
Value (price paid) - 11/10
Player Quality - 8/10

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Dixon - Massive win. Fills a desperate need. Would've liked to keep our 2nd rounder next year to gain maximum value.
Toumpas - Solid backup / depth. Very little cost (even if you count Ben Newton in the deal from 12 months ago - which I do)

Bonner - We would've picked him up with our first pick (12 after academy selections) if we hadn't used it on Dixon. To get him for pick 39 is massive value. Doesn't necessarily fill a need on our list. But is incredibly talented IMO.
Johnson - Complete unknown at the moment due to his injury plagued year. Very little cost (3rd round pick). Could be a boom. Could be a bust. Don't think anyone would be concerned/ upset if he doesn't make it. That being said I think he could pull a Brandon Ah Chee, build his body/ frame for a couple seasons and then burst onto the scene. Also fills a need if Monfries drops away in the next few seasons.

Snelling - Decent pick. Worth a go. Seems similar to Sam Gray though. Don't know if it fills a need though. Will help the Maggies in the SANFL though.
Hewett - lol i donno
Houston - lol i donno

Overall marks.
List needs - 9/10
Player Quality - 8/10

Snelling is 5 years younger than Sam Gray but having played league this year could be able to be a valuable member of the SANFL side in 2016 and an injury replacement in the AFL from 2017. The same goes for Bonner.

The others would be at least 2 years away based on our current list and players aged 20-24 who are AFL ready.

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
Snelling - Decent pick. Worth a go. Seems similar to Sam Gray though. Don't know if it fills a need though. Will help the Maggies in the SANFL though.

Overall marks.
List needs - 9/10
Player Quality - 8/10

Snelling is more like Sam Colquhoun than anyone. Both are midfielders come small defender types, both are 173cm and around 175kgs.
Like you I am not sure why we need another one of the seven dwarfs. I guess we get five more and we have a full set. I did not think AFL footballers came that small but we now have three or four of them.

Time is a good teacher and I have learned not to get too over excited about potential, it is much better to know what you are getting and that is why Dixon is a stand out. Provided of course he can stay fit. Too many of our number have written Toumpas off, just as they did with Polec, from what I have seen in the heat of battle Jimmy has real talent and provides something we lack- someone who can run and consistently hit a target. Toumpas has to prove himself but he doesn't deserve to be written off either. (That is not to suggest you are writing him off Chad.) I guess my point is I would much rather recruit a player with something we lack than another one of the seven dwarfs.

I am also with you re Hewett and Houston as they are unknowns. I would have been happy to have taken a 198cm player to help Frampton out and provide some depth. The Club must be pretty confident that Paddy Ryder will escape sanction then again if Essendon say the players are in the clear it must be true. ;) Maybe Hewett and Houston will both develop into AFL players but that is hope rather than expectation.

I think you are overly generous in your rating as I would have scored it as 7.5 /10. Dixon, provided he can do better than 16 games a year, is the standout an lifts it above ordinary but we still have holes in our list.

Smithy7

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 1, 2014
South of Scotland
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Snelling is more like Sam Colquhoun than anyone. Both are midfielders come small defender types, both are 173cm and around 175kgs.
Like you I am not sure why we need another one of the seven dwarfs. I guess we get five more and we have a full set. I did not think AFL footballers came that small but we now have three or four of them.

Time is a good teacher and I have learned not to get too over excited about potential, it is much better to know what you are getting and that is why Dixon is a stand out. Provided of course he can stay fit. Too many of our number have written Toumpas off, just as they did with Polec, from what I have seen in the heat of battle Jimmy has real talent and provides something we lack- someone who can run and consistently hit a target. Toumpas has to prove himself but he doesn't deserve to be written off either. (That is not to suggest you are writing him off Chad.) I guess my point is I would much rather recruit a player with something we lack than another one of the seven dwarfs.

I am also with you re Hewett and Houston as they are unknowns. I would have been happy to have taken a 198cm player to help Frampton out and provide some depth. The Club must be pretty confident that Paddy Ryder will escape sanction then again if Essendon say the players are in the clear it must be true. ;) Maybe Hewett and Houston will both develop into AFL players but that is hope rather than expectation.

I think you are overly generous in your rating as I would have scored it as 7.5 /10. Dixon, provided he can do better than 16 games a year, is the standout an lifts it above ordinary but we still have holes in our list.
Think you might find that Sam Colquhoun is 179cm & 75kg

Nemisis

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 27, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Dixon - 10/10 for this trade - a dream pickup that should have immediate impact
Toumpas - Paid peanuts so I have little expectation - a worthwhile gamble
Bonner - Good pick up - has a weapon but there are kinks that let him slip to us
Johnson - I know too little to comment
Snelling - Could be the first draftee of 2015 to play AFL - in and under ball winner - terrific pickup
Hewett - Don't see anything as yet
Houston - ditto

Hellgood

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 21, 2006
WA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

I'm not immediately writing him off, but where has he shown this?

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
I'm not immediately writing him off, but where has he shown this?

Not sure I understand the question. Where has who shown what?

If you are referring to my comment on Toumpas there is nothing wrong with his disposal or his running in this footage.

The thing about that footage is that it is lifted from AFL games not the underage games one usually sees in a pre draft highlights package. Make no mistake Toumpas can run and kick alright.

Magpiespower

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan
Dec 16, 2004
Salisbury
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
giphy.gif

Chachi

Premiership Player
Jan 10, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Fu** No
Dixon - GOD
Toumpas - decent trade, but GEAD Garry Lyon factor is high
Bonner - Great pick, but gee, really really wishing we'd courted offers for one of our HBFs in trade period though,
Johnson - I am pretty unconvinced on this one
Snelling - Yep, picked at the right place in the draft, he could be a goer.
Hewett - Meh
Houston - Meh
It's definitely reasonable to have an opinion on Dixon and Toumpas but the other fella's it's pretty difficult. I'm not sure about you but I could only judge them based on about 250 seconds of highlights.

Gee pretty positive summation but who is Snoop Dog?

He is one of Bigfooty's ACE Phantom Drafters, along with Knightmare, Quigley, Chris25, Skippos & SCPaige

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Finally got a KPF gotta love this, Thompus could be anything and cost us nothing.

I am over the moon with getting Bonner, I believe this kid will be a gun.

I don't see what they see in Johnson, seems to be a bit fumbley and just chuck the ball on the boot at times.

Love the Snelling punt , but jeeeezzzz we needed a developing ruck.

7/10

Johnson has great closing speed and good tackling ability, and looks a pretty decent set shot as well. I can see the appeal.

I'm reckon it's almost a 9/10, but agree that a project ruck would've been a good idea.

Willsy10

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think we did really well this trade/draft period. We've had some wins in recent years but this one was right up there. I think we are all reasonably chuffed with getting Dixon and rightly so, i think he has the potential to be a jet at Port, but we also were able to deliver in the drafts. Personally, i didn't expect Bonner to be there at our first pick and i was even more surprised that we were able to get Snelling in the rookie draft. Just from watching the SANFL final series i looked at Snelling i thought he would be a lock to go in the National Draft, i reckon he is arguably the biggest steal of all.

croweyrocks

All Australian
Nov 29, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Complete crap, no way we would had picked him up at 12. Great get at 37 but let's settle down.

Yeah I think we would have gotten doedeeeode! But seriously would have taken Curnow or Burton I'd have thought. But Bonner does seem like 1st round type caliber.

Back