Overrated things in life

Remove this Banner Ad

Shell what was your favourite part of America?
The people. :)

Surely the best part of the trip was talking about it afterwards?

I for one would like to hear more...........purely for the fun it will bring after the last few pages. Trying to think of an America related question to ask you now...........

I spend way too much time talking about my travels to the US. Ah well. Best times ever :D

+1 for Chicago (incredible in May, not sure I'd like it in winter) and to a lesser extent San Fran, but my 5 months in New York couldn't be topped.

Yeah it's a bit cliche and there's an infinite amount of things to do and places to see throughout USA, but New York tops my list as well.

That said, the music lover in me would almost put Memphis at number one. I'd pay good money in Australia to see some of the bands that are just playing in the corner of a regular pub with no cover charge. Unreal.

To be honest, I think travelling around America belongs in the underrated thread.

Another thing that seems overrated for me is massages, granted I've never had one but also never needed one. They seem like a waste of money, I workout 5 times a week and work as a tradie and my muscles are fine. It seems like people who go get them for a sore muscle is because it's the first time they have used that muscle in awhile and it's only sore because it has finally been used once.

Another wank gimmick.

Another thing that seems overrated for me is massages, granted I've never had one but also never needed one. They seem like a waste of money, I workout 5 times a week and work as a tradie and my muscles are fine. It seems like people who go get them for a sore muscle is because it's the first time they have used that muscle in awhile and it's only sore because it has finally been used once.

Another wank gimmick.
Sometimes yes, it all depends on the masseur.

Another wank gimmick.
Not sure how you can say they are overrated if you have never had one?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another wank gimmick.
I don't know how much they are in Melbourne, but I really enjoyed mine when we went to Malaysia (no, there was no happy ending).

I think it depends on the person. There was 4 of us who went. A friend of mine, really loves massages and was really keen on one. We never had one, so we went. By the end of it, he really enjoyed it and was keen to grab another one before we left. The other two enjoyed it, but probably wouldn't get another one. I enjoyed it, not as much as my friend, but if it's cheap, would definitely look to get one.

It's just relaxing I suppose and it's a different sensation you'd get than anything else. Helps if you've got a hot bird giving you a massage.

This was for when I was in school.

General assemblies.

Basically an opportunity for the principal, assistant principals and their apologists to enforce their views upon us while handing out needless honours to goody-goody's.

If I sucked up to teachers, I'd've got countless forms of recognition.

I don't know how much they are in Melbourne, but I really enjoyed mine when we went to Malaysia (no, there was no happy ending).

I think it depends on the person. There was 4 of us who went. A friend of mine, really loves massages and was really keen on one. We never had one, so we went. By the end of it, he really enjoyed it and was keen to grab another one before we left. The other two enjoyed it, but probably wouldn't get another one. I enjoyed it, not as much as my friend, but if it's cheap, would definitely look to get one.

It's just relaxing I suppose and it's a different sensation you'd get than anything else. Helps if you've got a hot bird giving you a massage.

nice post.

in china i have had massages also. sometimes one lass working legs, one working shoulders. have fallen asleep during the process also. oh yeah, got ears cleaned as well (after massage they call in the ear cleaner).

had a body scrub in shanghai a few times too. they get you to strip down, have a shower, jump in the spa to soften skin. then you lie on the table and then rub oil all over. scrubbing begins and if you dare look down you'll see rolls of dirt piling up. oh yeah, they also clean your gooch.

anyway, after scrub, salt or something like it is applied to your body. it stings. you're feeling a bit raw and sensitive. so they rub this cold stuff on you, kinda like yoghurt. it stings too.

nice post.

in china i have had massages also. sometimes one lass working legs, one working shoulders. have fallen asleep during the process also. oh yeah, got ears cleaned as well (after massage they call in the ear cleaner).

had a body scrub in shanghai a few times too. they get you to strip down, have a shower, jump in the spa to soften skin. then you lie on the table and then rub oil all over. scrubbing begins and if you dare look down you'll see rolls of dirt piling up. oh yeah, they also clean your gooch.

anyway, after scrub, salt or something like it is applied to your body. it stings. you're feeling a bit raw and sensitive. so they rub this cold stuff on you, kinda like yoghurt. it stings too.
Haha nah I don't think I was ever close to falling asleep. Seems a little pointless if you've fallen asleep during a massage!

Yeah, I've had the ear cleaning thing too. I enjoyed it, I'll take anything that helps clean my ears.

Funny because, when we got our massage, we were all in the same room but divided by curtains. On the other side of the room, I hear my friend getting questioned, and then all I hear is "huh? Uh... sorry? Oh... okay... um... How much is it?" Then I hear a whole lot of rustling. I was like, wow, is he getting a happy ending in the same ******* room as us????

Nah just turned out to be he was getting his ear cleaned haha

Another wank gimmick.

Mate get one, they are bloody brilliant. You might not even be aware of how much tension you're carrying until you go and get one, it's like another level of relaxation.

I get one every few months or so. I don't understand folks who get them daily or even weekly. I feel like it'd lose it's magic if you did it too often.

I've had no need to get one, if people use their muscles more instead of being a hypochondriac and running to a masseur whenever they feel "sore" they would be out of business.
So you're saying sporting teams all over the world with the best physios, medicos etc are wasting tens of millions of dollars a year on massages and recovery?

Our tour group got a Turkish massage in Instanbul, it was bloody painful while they did it but you felt so relaxed and loose afterwards.

It was quite a weird experience, you go into these little changerooms where you have to get undressed and get given a loincloth to wear, the girls didn't even get a loincloth they had to get a massage fully naked but they were in a separate area to the guys unfortunately. Then you all sit around on this big marble circle surrounded by steam baths and these big Turkish guys wave you over to the edge of the circle and pound the hell out of you with a massage, feel like they're going to break your arms, legs and back with all the bending moves they do and guys were actually screaming in pain at stages, it was like something out of Midnight Express. Then you go and sit in the steam baths and slap hot towels on yourself to recover.

Best massage I've had in terms of how I felt afterwards but not sure it was worth the pain you have to go through.

Last edited:
San Fran, LA, San Diego, LA, New York, Washington, Philly, Pittsburgh, Cleaveland, Columbus, Pittsburgh, Philly, Baltimore, Atlantic City, Scranton, Worcester, Boston, Philly, Pittsburgh, Wheeling, Columbus, Indianapolis, Chicago, Nashville, New Orleans, Houston, Austin, Las Vegas, San Diego.

#DrVanInAmerica2014

Hour or more drunken walks across the city back to hotel after midnight: 6
Times mugged: 0
Times looked at sideways: 0
Crazies encountered: 74856746241325374485970796746353

Last edited:
San Fran, LA, San Diego, LA, New York, Washington, Philly, Pittsburgh, Cleaveland, Columbus, Pittsburgh, Philly, Baltimore, Atlantic City, Scranton, Worcester, Boston, Philly, Pittsburgh, Wheeling, Columbus, Indianapolis, Chicago, Nashville, New Orleans, Houston, Austin, Las Vegas, San Diego.

#DrVanInAmerica2014

Hour or more drunken walks across the city back to hotel after midnight: 6
Times mugged: 0
Times looked at sideways: 0
Crazies encountered: 74856746241325374485970796746353

Impressive list but you haven't been to Virginia where I lived for a few months, I think they call it the love state of America, if you love history and boredom.

It's where the Civil War was won and lost so there's a lot of statues and monuments, a few US presidents hailed from there too.

It's not all bad though, Charlottesville is a great place where UVA is based, some cool college bars, better than Richmond imo. Virginia Beach is great too, the beach is pretty s**t but a heap of great bars there.

As for the whole talking about travelling too much thing, that's the whole reason you travel, to have stories to tell and bore other people to death with. I actually find it quite interesting hearing travel stories from people here that have been to different places or even similar places to compare experiences, even Shell believe it or not.

Before I travelled overseas I hated when people talked about travelling too, they had all these great experiences and stories and I'd only been as far away to Sydney from Perth when I was 14 which was cool then but not so cool when I was 24, which is around the time I travelled overseas just to find my own great travel experiences and stories to annoy other people that hadn't travelled. Circle of life.

Last edited:

Another wank gimmick.

Pray they you never have neck or back problems buddy. At least once a month I'll wake up basically not being able to move my neck and a 30 min massage gets me going again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back