Overrated things in life

HirdyLannister

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2013
Cersei's bed
AFL Club
Essendon
raises a similar question. what age should one stop wearing footy jumpers to games or outings?
Not pass 12, it's a kid thing having a players number on your back.
You haven't lived until you've stayed in a "hostel" where you're more concerned with losing your life as opposed to losing your wallet.

On the flip side, fancy hotels are overrated.
Hear Hear.

I cant stand when I see people wearing jumper + scarf + hat + lanyard and the freaken whole merchandise store. Less is more imo.

People of all ages wear them to the footy, I don't think it's something that you should necessarily grow out of. It's great seeing a stadium packed with the colours, and seeing people in their team's gear at pubs before/after the match.

Agree. I very rarely wore the old jumpers I had, the cut/shape on them were terrible. The jumper I have now (bought it last year), actually looks decent on me, even tho am always yanking the stupid thing down over my hips.

TheHoneyBadger

"I lost my phone"
10k Posts Western Bulldogs - Cordy, Honeychurch, Prudden, Dale Player Sponsor 2015
Sep 17, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
I cant stand when I see people wearing jumper + scarf + hat + lanyard and the freaken whole merchandise store. Less is more imo.

Agree. I very rarely wore the old jumpers I had, the cut/shape on them were terrible. The jumper I have now (bought it last year), actually looks decent on me, even tho am always yanking the stupid thing down over my hips.
The new jumpers are great. Designed to fit a person's form, rather than a couple of rectangles sewn together with a collar and cuffs.

The sizes can be weird, though. I bought a medium size #9 Dogs jumper last year, and it was huge on me. I haven't put on any weight, and the medium size Honeychurch name jumper I bought in May is a perfect fit.

Have the same problem where I'm always having to yank it down over my hips. I'd blow away in a strong breeze, so it's not like I'm over-stretching it or anything :p Maybe it's just the material.

Have the same problem where I'm always having to yank it down over my hips. I'd blow away in a strong breeze, so it's not like I'm over-stretching it or anything :p Maybe it's just the material.

I thought men didnt have hips. o_O:p

I wish the AFL/ sports labels would make jumpers specifically for women, like I know they do in England for the soccer jumpers. But yeah, I have a mens size small, and the fit is waaaay better than the last one I had.

TheHoneyBadger

"I lost my phone"
10k Posts Western Bulldogs - Cordy, Honeychurch, Prudden, Dale Player Sponsor 2015
Sep 17, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
I thought men didnt have hips. o_O:p

I wish the AFL/ sports labels would make jumpers specifically for women, like I know they do in England for the soccer jumpers. But yeah, I have a mens size small, and the fit is waaaay better than the last one I had.
You know what I mean :p

I can't speak for other clubs, but the Bulldogs Shop used to advertise Ladies Jumpers. While it was the same material, it had a collar and a zip, and it didn't have any of the sponsors or manufacturers logos.

There's a much bigger market for the women's soccer jerseys, and women here seem happy enough to buy the regular jumpers - I guess most people are wearing them over a hoodie or a jumper, anyway.

let the hips play!

Zarrix

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Everton
Was in Melbourne in July and at the hostel I was staying at was a 60 year old man. Annoyed the crap out of me with his snoring but just seems like he wanted a cheap bed, so fair enough I guess.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
Hostels are gold. Best places to meet people. You get a few shoddy ones, but thanks to hostelworld, hostelbookers and general word of mouth you can mostly avoid them. Have never had any issues with expensive things being stolen. Had clothes go missing over the years but suspect that is more accidental than anything.

If I'm travelling on my own then there is no way I'm getting a hotel. If you want to meet someone just going up to random's to try and hangout reeks of desperation. Doable, but you spend a lot of your travel time on your own. Where is the fun in that. Of course if your a hot chick than there is no shortage of people happy to randomly hang out with you.

Lived in a hostel for a year when I was about 25. Was easily the best year of my life. Met some of my best mates who I'm still in touch with who have settled in places as close as Melbourne, and as far as Colombia, London and Eastern Europe.

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Traveling to US next year, hotels everywhere except New York. Private room in a hostel, save me about $150 a night.

I stayed in a private room in a hostel in Cesky Krumlov, it was as good as a hotel room if not better and was regular hostel room price as they had no other beds, normally they cost extra but they're still cheaper than a hotel room.

I also stayed in a dump of a hostel in Prague for about the same price which was like an old school converted into a hostel with dormitory style rooms in the old Eastern European part of the city with no bars or shops around other than a pizza shop which looked like a front for a drug running business.

I've stayed in a few other hostels which were like dormitories with 10 or more people in a room and it can be tough getting a good night's sleep with people coming and going at all hours, being loud drunken campaigners, snoring etc, also had some guy in a room I was in that ordered a 6am wake up call which didn't go down too well, he basically ordered a 6am wake up call for everyone in our room as we all heard it as well. You really need to stay in a hostel room with 6 or less people as there is more mutual respect, anything more and it gets out of hand.

You win some you lose some when it comes to hostels, some are great, some are shithouse but they all add to the travel experience which you don't get staying in hotel rooms, you meet more people, have more stories.

When you're older and just going on one off trips somewhere your probably better off staying in a hotel though.

Last edited:
May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
The problem with oldies in hostels is really that oldies have problems with youngens and youngens can't be arsed with that.

If you're partying til 4am at a nice hotel where families are trying to sleep, you'll get in the poo - so you go to a hostel instead where there are other likeminded people.

Oldies go to hostels for cheap beds - which is fine - then complain about noise etc. like they are staying in a hotel.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
The problem with oldies in hostels is really that oldies have problems with youngens and youngens can't be arsed with that.

If you're partying til 4am at a nice hotel where families are trying to sleep, you'll get in the poo - so you go to a hostel instead where there are other likeminded people.

Oldies go to hostels for cheap beds - which is fine - then complain about noise etc. like they are staying in a hotel.
absolutely... and if you are staying in a hostel, then you should expect some hostel like behaviour. it's no dice if campaigners are running the entire night and will rightfully get pulled up, but the night time isn't going to be blissful silence, particularly on Friday and Saturday nights.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Hostels generally have common areas for partying, and they tend to have curfews.

Rooms are usually comparatively quiet but people do come and go at all hours. I've checked in and checked out between 12-6am many times. Very common with backpackers on cheap flights. If you're leaving a room at 5am you're a dick if you turn on all the lights and make a huge racket, but if the prospect of someone leaving the room you're sleeping in and possibly waking you up is an issue then you're in the wrong place.

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Hostels generally have common areas for partying, and they tend to have curfews.

Rooms are usually comparatively quiet but people do come and go at all hours. I've checked in and checked out between 12-6am many times. Very common with backpackers on cheap flights. If you're leaving a room at 5am you're a dick if you turn on all the lights and make a huge racket, but if the prospect of someone leaving the room you're sleeping in and possibly waking you up is an issue then you're in the wrong place.

Most people are pretty respectful in hostel rooms late at night to be fair, sometimes it's hard to be quiet when you're sneaking in late at night drunk though, tripping over stuff in the dark still wakes other people up. I was probably one of the worst offenders in that department so couldn't complain when the boot was on the other foot.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm too uncultured and poor to travel around yet, but I've heard the big one is plastic bags. Mother*ers with plastic bags at 3am, ruffling and scrunching them and trying to get out toothbrushes or passports and pissing everyone off in the process. When a mate of mine got back from Europe last year, he was fresh off the plane and we met up with some girls he met over there. They spent three hours at the pub laughing about plastic bags.

Reckon he must've rooted one of them through it.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Most people are pretty respectful in hostel rooms late at night to be fair, sometimes it's hard to be quiet when you're sneaking in late at night drunk though, tripping over stuff in the dark still wakes other people up. I was probably one of the worst offenders in that department so couldn't complain when the boot was on the other foot.

Most people are pretty good, but there are still a few *******s getting about. These days people can't go more than a minute or two without checking their smartphone. In a pitch dark room at night those things light up like Christmas trees, so a constant on-off-on-off gives you the shits.

I could never have been a Cats fan, horizontal stripes make me look fat.

Back