Overrated things in life

Remove this Banner Ad

Fletcher has been a great player, and anyone who thinks otherwise is deluded. Reads the play so well, elite skills as a backman, great kick and decision making. He might've been nursed a bit to 400, but he's definitely still worth a spot on a list. And I hate Essendon, but he's one guy there I really respect.

Insane to think that when he started as a young full back he was playing on Lockett, Dunstall, AblettSr, A Jakovich, Modra, Rocca, Richo, Schwartz, Neitz, Longmire, Lynch. Didn't have it easy as a young full back in that era.

That says more about the north list than the actual player.
No it doesn't. The guy is still as good as was day 1. Says way more about him and how he takes care of himself.

I seem to remember Tuck was nursed through his later days. I could be wrong. How about Bartlett? How was he going at the end?
I don't seem to remember Tuck missing too many through games injury, and he played in a side that played finals every year as well. On top of his senior's games, he played 70 odd seconds game's as well IIRC. On a side note, I was at the MCG when Tuck broke Bartlett's record in the final round of the '90 season. QANTAS flew us first class from Adelaide, limo at Tulla, drinks at the Windsor, and then a box in the old Olympic Stand at the ground. Somewhere I still have a badge commemorating Tucky's record that I bought that day.

State of Origin- Not only is it annoying that people in SA who know nothing about Rugby League pretend to know it all (they don't even know the difference between Rugby and Rugby League). But it also compromises the whole NRL competition, yes it's a good spectacle but I feel as though the clubs and the sport would be better off if it didn't exist/was in a better format. I could go on but I won't.

Exactly. Makes me wonder why people want to bring it back in AFL

I loved state of origin but it was already dying by the time I started following footy as a primary school kid in the 90s.

The reason it works in rugby league is because (and having only two states makes it easier logistically) the players regard it as the pinnacle of the sport. I know Allan Langer played for the Broncos and Andrew Johns played for Newcastle. I've got no idea how many ARL/NRL/Super League premierships each won or how many tests they played for the Kangaroos, but I know both are considered SOO legends.

The AFL is different. Winning the AFL premiership is the ultimate goal and anything else is a distant second. Before SOO was axed in the late 90s squads would be picked, fans would get excited then a dozen or so players would pull out with injury. If the players aren't really behind it then you can't expect the fans to be.

No it doesn't. The guy is still as good as was day 1. Says way more about him and how he takes care of himself.
Brent Harvey on the other hand, he's still one of North's most important players and that's just silly.

Nothing at all to do with the fact that Fletcher is 40, where Harvey is 37?

3 years at that end of your career is fairly significant.

I loved state of origin but it was already dying by the time I started following footy as a primary school kid in the 90s.

The reason it works in rugby league is because (and having only two states makes it easier logistically) the players regard it as the pinnacle of the sport. I know Allan Langer played for the Broncos and Andrew Johns played for Newcastle. I've got no idea how many ARL/NRL/Super League premierships each won or how many tests they played for the Kangaroos, but I know both are considered SOO legends.

The AFL is different. Winning the AFL premiership is the ultimate goal and anything else is a distant second. Before SOO was axed in the late 90s squads would be picked, fans would get excited then a dozen or so players would pull out with injury. If the players aren't really behind it then you can't expect the fans to be.

This is why I'm over State of Origin.
Corey Parker on Sky Sports Radio last week described Origin as the highlight of the sport.
Josh Jackson, picked for his first Origin match, described it as a dream come true.
Both players have played for Australia yet have higher regard for representing their states.
Players now withdraw from playing for Australia if they step on a bindi, yet will play Origin with two broken legs.
I just can't understand the mentality that playing for NSW or Qld is better than representing Australia.
To me, Origin is overrated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not a rugby league fan, but I always figured players rated origin higher than international because historically it was the highest standard. There's not a whole lot of other countries playing rugby league competitively.
Have to agree with this. The world cups are pointless, there are only ever three relevent sides

Rugby in general, just an absolute snooze feast. Watched what is the biggest and the best rugby game of the year and 5 minutes in I was thinking this is unbelievably boring. Guy gets ball, runs into big guy who brings him down, guy then rolls ball back to someone who tosses ball backwards (cant even pass forward wtf) and someone starts the cycle all over again.... such an unskilled game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back