Overrated things in life

Remove this Banner Ad

I enjoy watching the NFL. Can understand how some people don't as it is a slow, stop-start sport.

Superbowl was trash though. Terrible game.

You obviously don't respect defense if you thought it was a terrible game

I do respect defense, DeMarcus Ware and Von Miller were beast.
Didn't explain myself very well. I was excited to see Cam Newton and the Panthers offense go bananas. Was more disappointed that it didn't happen.

This exchange typifies the snobby, elitist, different-for-the-sake-of-it, sporting hipster culture around American football in Australia.

People jump up and down to point out they like NFL ("look at me, I'm cultured!") and then jump all over each other when they spot a chance to storytop about how even more cultured they are.

It could just as easily have read like this:

I am soooooo cool because I like a different, foreign sport that many others do not understand.

You obviously aren't as cooooool as me. I understand it way morer. What you said is dumb, lol, you normie square

No, no, I am so cool! So way. I just didn't explain myself very well. Jargon jargon stuff I read on facebook, am I cooler enough now?

This exchange typifies the snobby, elitist, different-for-the-sake-of-it, sporting hipster culture around American football in Australia.

People jump up and down to point out they like NFL ("look at me, I'm cultured!") and then jump all over each other when they spot a chance to storytop about how even more cultured they are.

:drunk:

So you don't like NFL?

Aside from footy my biggest sporting interests are fighting and motor vehicle related so I fall pretty far down in the "what other sports do you like?" pissing contests.

I don't mind American Football as a game, I'll take a look if it's on at a pub or something, enjoy it if it's close or high qualify, take it leave it otherwise.

I just don't like how increasingly more people here use it as an excuse to think they'd better than others.
I don't really understand how having a conversation about whether the Super Bowl was good or not means that we think we're better than others??

I don't really understand how having a conversation about whether the Super Bowl was good or not means that we think we're better than others??

Well, you more than him, although he did backflip instead of telling you to f off when you questioned his "respect for defence" or whatever.

I don't want to argue with you, really. Just that shits me.

Last edited:
Well, you more than, although he did backflip I stead of telling you to F off when you questioned his "respect for defence" or whatever.

I don't want to argue with you, really. Just that shits me.
It shits me when people say it was a bad game just because it wasn't the two best defenses in the league going head to head

I don't mind American Football as a game, I'll take a look if it's on at a pub or something, enjoy it if it's close or high qualify, take it leave it otherwise.

I just don't like how increasingly more people here use it as an excuse to think they'd better than others.

Really? Most people I know think I'm a bit crass because I like NFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

in life you will find many examples daily of people who say X is boring, but love Y.

for example, National Football League Football (NFL.....F) is boring, but yay test match cricket!

I think people need to somehow gain some empathy and understand others pov

Aside from footy my biggest sporting interests are fighting and motor vehicle related so I fall pretty far down in the "what other sports do you like?" pissing contests.

Yeah it can be polarising when you tell people you love MMA and boxing. You either get a sneer or about 2% of the time "oh * yeah how good was *fighter x* on the weekend?"

Yeah it can be polarising when you tell people you love MMA and boxing. You either get a sneer or about 2% of the time "oh **** yeah how good was *fighter x* on the weekend?"

On this, admittedly was a boxing fan (albeit the most casual possible) and thought MMA was for rednecks and undesirables. Met a few people who partake in different forms of MMA and have back flipped completely. Now, I'm in no way a fan of MMA but I'd watch and enjoy it and now pass no aspersions on those that love it.

It's the same with racism, homophobia, xenophobia etc etc. When people meet people from diverse backgrounds and people outside their social circle who enjoy different things to them it usually doesn't take long for us to realise we are all the same deep down and liking one thing from the other has no bearing on a persons character.

I think that was my Malcolm X moment :$

Or, alternatively, there was a discussion about the NFL and I put my 2 cents in. I don't think I'm cool for liking American Football. I like American Football. There was a conversation about American Football. I joined in the conversation. I really don't see your issue with people talking about what they like.

It shits me when people say it was a bad game just because it wasn't the two best defenses in the league going head to head

As I said, respect for defense, but personally love an attacking game, and was looking forward to the Panthers forcing that.

This, although i'm way too old for them now.

As am I. The reason I mentioned it being that I attended an event at a club a few weekends ago. I was immediately reminded why it was never a regular social activity for me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back