Owners

Remove this Banner Ad

What a sad state of affairs Blackpool find themselves in.

This is the kind of ownership that requires a Newcastle type protest, not Ashley. For all Mike's fault's (and there are plenty), he looks like a quality owner compared to Oyston!

As was pointed out when you compared Newcastle to Portsmouth, you don't have to have the worst owner to have a bad owner.

No doubt. But Newcastle aren't in a terrible situation. Perspective can sometimes do the world of good.

They are in a pretty shitty position relative to where they should be. If one season Arsenal suddenly dropped to battling relegation because their owners ****ed them over that would be relatively poor for them but better than, say, Blackpool.

Btw Fryer Tuck , that post is exactly why I think you're the best poster on here at the moment. :thumbsu:
You're agreeing with me right now..... (I said something similar in the matchday thread last week)

They are in a pretty shitty position relative to where they should be. If one season Arsenal suddenly dropped to battling relegation because their owners stuffed them over that would be relatively poor for them but better than, say, Blackpool.
Yep, that's the other side of the coin.

Annoyingly, I think Ashley does enough so they aren't really in the relegation fight but they don't achieve anything else either.

First off, a negative example. No, I am not doing Newcastle, we all know there’s someone far more qualified than me that can tell you all about it.

Instead, I’m going to do Blackpool and Karl Oyston, one of the richest men in England at 100 million pounds

As we know, they are the first team this season to be relegated, but relegation is just a result of what the heck is going on with this club this season:

First order of business, their pre-season. They actually had no goalkeepers, and just seven (later eight in the article) players left on the books: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/row-zed/meet-only-8-players-books-3873056 Yeah, as if they didn’t flirt with relegation last season, having only eight players from the previous season stay on with the club, just the thing you need when you’re their first overseas manager, and the third full time manager in two years. As if that wasn’t enough, Jose Riga and Oyston were in a lock between transfers. It’s only been a few days, and already the new manager and owner are in a fight over filling in the basics. Never mind decent transfers to save Blackpool this season, they just needed players to make a squad. It needed the president, Valeri Belokon to demand the owners to not only fund the club for transfers, but for the stadium and training ground (we’ll get to this later.) http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...arachute-payment-team.html#i-23c3a36ffb9aabb9 Only then were Blackpool able to sign 14 players in time before the season started.

Now, Karl Oyston… say what you will about Mike Ashley, but at least he spent some money on the stadium… even if it is for that hideous advertising. Ashley’s earned the hate of the Newcastle, Oyston is considered the worst owner in Britain, and has been hated since Blackpool’s relegation in their one season in the Premier League. Ashley may ignore the fans, but Oyston replies to them… and boy how he does…

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-lancashire-31451475

http://www.thefa.com/news/governance/2015/mar/karl-oyston-charged (Oyston called the fan a ‘massive ******’)

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/s...-comment-more-shame-on-blackpool-fc-1-7016260

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30581633

Blackpool fan petition: https://www.change.org/p/karl-oyston-resign-as-chairman-of-blackpool-football-club?just_created=true (Supported by the Blackpool president)

A quoted text message: "So let me get this straight, you think that despite knowing and being friendly with other chairman in the FL and PL, venture capitalists, bankers, entrepeneurs, very successful businessmen, government ministers, MP's and a whole host of notable worthies, that I should single out a fat flaccid painter and decorator/consultant whose crowning achievment is taking his poor family on holiday to Orlando for three torturous weeks a year? really? I suggest you slip discreetly back into whatever foul pond you emerged from. Crack on as I am enjoying myself. you are on toast and are too simple to realise it. In fact you have cheered me up no end and made me realise I am right to completely ignore the influential fans so cheers." Karl Oyston.

Apparently he even made posts on a Blackpool fans forum, just to get into fights. Yeah, that's how low he will go.

Now, stadium and training ground, remember how there was a demand from the president that Oyston should put funds into the pitch?

B9z_QDvIAAATEqg.jpg

This was in the match against Nottingham Forest, and yes, this was the actual pitch they played on. Do remember Blackpool is a Championship team, at least for this season. The FA demanded an explanation for the pitch. Oyston's response? He took a three week holiday. http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/blackpool-fc/clark-casts-doubt-of-blackpool-future-1-7133498

As if that wasn’t enough, what happened last week?

joe-lewis-shirt-main.jpg

Before I forget to mention: Newcastle’s not the only one that is sponsored by Wonga, and considering how this story is going, you know it’s bad news when Wonga sponsors you.

Do you see that? That is Joe Lewis wearing an autographed shirt. Why? According to Andrea Orlandi:

"Before starting the game I noticed Joe Lewis's shirt. It was signed and I thought he was going to do a raffle after the game (something quite common in England).

"It turns out that no, he had not even noticed or knew anything about it and when he tried to get another one he was told there were none left.

"It was funny because he tried to put a plaster over the writing to cover it and it looked even more funny."

Further reports have actually suggested that Blackpool have fired their kitboy. Blackpool as a club is skint. The owner has money, but it's clearly not going into anything at the club.

Perhaps Newcastle have taken note, but Blackpool fans are not amused:

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/n...rests-after-pool-fans-angry-protest-1-7209064

http://www.espnfc.com/blackpool/story/2385056/blackpool-fans-pelt-directors-box-with-eggs-and-flares

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/s...ay-it-all-as-blackpool-run-on-empty-1-7161593

This is clearly an owner that simply doesn't give a toss about his club. Do remember that Blackpool was once a Premier League team, and they still had their last year of parachute payments this season. This isn't a club that's just going to get relegated to League 1, this is a club that will fall further than this, not unless something is done.

They may not be as highly noted as Newcastle, but there is some disturbing actions going on with how some clubs are handled.

Good idea for a thread mate.

I actually saw that bit about Blackpool running out of kits and having to use a signed top during a match yesterday and was going to make mention of it. Pretty comical, you'd expect maybe something like that from a pub team but a professional club in the second division?

Also was a good eye opener as to how bad things are elsewhere. Not sure if it was just myself but I wasn't really aware how bad things were for the Blackpool fans (I know they had a lot of trouble in preseason trying to get a squad together and that they've since been relegated?). That pitch is awful and having an owner who openly antagonises the fans? Surely the Football League or maybe the FA have to step in and intervene?

I'd be curious to understand Oyston's intentions for the club. Surely by seemingly running it into the ground (relegation without a whimper), he's ultimately losing value on an asset he owns and may (subsequently) need to spend more of his money to keep the club solvent?

With Ashley, he spends a bare minimum to 'ensure' the club stay in the PL and thus get access to the TV riches plus free advertising to a global audience for his true passion, his sporting goods empire. For Oyston, I can't see any point or value in seeing the club go down the toilet. If he doesn't want the club, why not sell it? And if he wants to sell? Why not strengthen his asking price by trying to maintain the club's position in the Championship (and not letting the facilities/stadium deteriorate)?

No doubt. But Newcastle aren't in a terrible situation. Perspective can sometimes do the world of good.

I'll readily admit that our plight is nowhere near as bad as Blackpool's - and it seems a shame that there probably hasn't been as much coverage/focus of what Oyston is doing to the club.

That being said, if fans become completely dejected/disillusioned with their club to the point where they have literally no enjoyment, passion or optimism anymore, wouldn't that be considered 'terrible' by most standards too?

12 odd years ago, the club was playing in the Champions League and regularly pushing for Europe, fast forward to today and the most exciting thing to happen to the club is the seemingly first organised effort by the fans to try and eject the owner from the club.

There is no more dreams of European glory, or a cup success to end our trophy drought. Heck, we can't even relish our derby anymore or hope to see a Toon side playing entertaining football and having a genuine crack anymore. There are no heroes for the fans to worship and adore - what's the point? They'll be sold off anyway. Everything that was once special with supporting Newcastle (and probably for any other team) has gone under Ashley.

The day Ashley came in was the day that Newcastle United stopped being a football club and became an empty, soulless money machine to promote Sports Direct and profit the owner.

I'll readily admit that our plight is nowhere near as bad as Blackpool's - and it seems a shame that there probably hasn't been as much coverage/focus of what Oyston is doing to the club.

That being said, if fans become completely dejected/disillusioned with their club to the point where they have literally no enjoyment, passion or optimism anymore, wouldn't that be considered 'terrible' by most standards too?

12 odd years ago, the club was playing in the Champions League and regularly pushing for Europe, fast forward to today and the most exciting thing to happen to the club is the seemingly first organised effort by the fans to try and eject the owner from the club.

There is no more dreams of European glory, or a cup success to end our trophy drought. Heck, we can't even relish our derby anymore or hope to see a Toon side playing entertaining football and having a genuine crack anymore. There are no heroes for the fans to worship and adore - what's the point? They'll be sold off anyway. Everything that was once special with supporting Newcastle (and probably for any other team) has gone under Ashley.

The day Ashley came in was the day that Newcastle United stopped being a football club and became an empty, soulless money machine to promote Sports Direct and profit the owner.
Essentially you're a better off version of Leeds. ;)

Just to clarify too, most Toon fans will tell you they don't expect the club to be fighting for top 4 honours or the title. Most are realistic enough to know that without super investment, such talk is essentially a pipe dream.

All Newcastle fans fundamentally want is to restore the enjoyment, excitement, pride and passion of supporting their local team that has gone under Ashley's regime. They want to believe the club that represents them and their city is trying to improve and progress instead of treading water so the owner can profit.

As I said in the matchday thread, most fans would probably change their minds on Ashley if he could just prove he genuinely cared about the club (and not just the balance sheet).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

League position has nothing to do with ownership last time I checked.

What a silly statement.

It isn't harsh at all. Ask any Arsenal fan.

Club was content with fourth, maximising profits wherever they could and having the highest prices in England.

Its funny, people say maximising profits is the fault of Stan Kroenke.

But he has taken what? 3 million out of the club since he has been owner?

Not bad considering the club has something like 100m in cash that he could be raiding.

Arsenal has it pretty ******* sweet compared to all but 2 clubs (Chelsea and City) when it comes to owners, no massive debt, no campaigner with his hand in the til, no crazy ideas.

im sorry, but i reckon this is crap.

Chelsea already were a decent side before Roman bought them.

You buy two world class players for every position. The like of Deco and shevchenko.

You buy half the best young players in the world.

And ten yyears later declare its a very well run club

Lol. Come on.

I got nothing against Chelsea. In fact I quite like them. JFHbank etc.

But this delusion the fans got is funny as

Yes it is. Being self-sufficient requires constant management.

im sorry, but i reckon this is crap.

Chelsea already were a decent side before Roman bought them.

You buy two world class players for every position. The like of Deco and shevchenko.

You buy half the best young players in the world.

And ten yyears later declare its a very well run club

Lol. Come on.

I got nothing against Chelsea. In fact I quite like them. JFHbank etc.

But this delusion the fans got is funny as

Difference between saying it's well-run and self sufficient.

There's a direct correlation between squad value and who wins the title. It is nearly always the most expensive squad.
Not the thing to look at IMO. Unless you are talking about squad cost.

Squad value could still be large if you have an excellent academy.

Without a billion pound investment, it doesn't happen

Leeds or hull would be the same if they had that stepping stone

Plenty of clubs have billionaire owners that aren't Chelsea..

Our owners are worth in the 100 millions..

Chelsea was the first billionaire owner as far as I know

He's also a lot richer than other owners due to exploiting the downfall of the USSR

Not all owners spend 50m pound if they fancy a striker

Its very easy to be well run after a initial outlay of that amount.

Just by a coupe of good players for every spot. By half the best 15 years olds in the world, loan them out, sell on five years, rinse repeat

Chelsea was the first billionaire owner as far as I know

He's also a lot richer than other owners due to exploiting the downfall of the USSR

Not all owners spend 50m pound if they fancy a striker
Berlusconi

Remove this Banner Ad

Back