Owners

Remove this Banner Ad

For anyone interested, here's the follow up statement the club released regarding the TV documentary that went to air earlier in the week.

Inaccurate media reporting by Channel 4 'Dispatches' - the media mislead again.

In reference to our statement last night (Monday, 27th April) regarding the Channel 4 'Dispatches' programme, The Secrets of Sports Direct, Newcastle United would like to clarify the facts for the benefit of supporters.

Last night's programme made a wholly inaccurate claim regarding the retail relationship between the Club and Sports Direct.

In the Club's view, the broadcaster deliberately misled Newcastle United supporters and provided yet another example of erroneous media reporting which only serves to further antagonise fans.

In January 2014, in the minutes of its Fans Forum which are published online, the Club confirmed how the retail relationship with Sports Direct works.

For the purpose of clarity, we can reconfirm that 100 per cent of the income from goods bought in the Club's official stores and on its website are received by the Club and not Sports Direct, as the 'Dispatches' programme claimed.

The only money paid by the Club to Sports Direct is for the stock (at cost price), plus a handling fee. This represents far better value than the costs the Club historically incurred in relation to purchasing, storage and distribution.

In fact, the change to our retail operating structure introduced in February 2013, which saw us partner with Sports Direct, increased the profit margin by over 50 per cent. This benefits the Club hugely.

In simple terms, the Club receives more money as a result of this relationship.

Channel 4 failed to contact the Club in order to clarify any facts in relation to our retail operation.

Given that this information was already in the public domain, and had been for over 15 months, we find it incredible that the makers of an investigative current affairs programme chose to air information which was so obviously factually incorrect.

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20150428/newcastle-united-club-statement_2281670_4675719

Any perhaps of more interest is the open letter the Ashley Out folks wrote in response:

Dear Ms Taylor (Wendy Taylor is the club's media and communications manager),

AshleyOut.com note with interest the statements released by Newcastle United Football Club yesterday evening and earlier today in response to Channel 4’s Dispatches programme titled “The Secrets of Sports Direct” that was broadcast yesterday at 8pm.

Firstly we would like to applaud the club’s ability to react with urgency and determination when it considers its dignity as a proud institution under threat. That said, we do consider it remarkable that a slight inaccuracy about Sports Direct’s relationship with the club has brought about this resolve, and not the fact that thousands of the club’s fans are turning their backs to the club in disgust. Or the fact that the decision to weaken the squad and not appoint a proper manager leaves the club on the brink of another relegation. Or even the fact that its chosen “interim” manager has hurled abuse at the club’s fans for the second time this season.

Of particular interest in the Club’s statement was that “in the Club’s view, the broadcaster deliberately misled Newcastle United supporters and provided yet another example of erroneous media reporting which only serves to further antagonise fans”. A rather ironic stance coming from the current administration at the club, considering they have previously admitted in the Premier League Manager’s Arbitration Tribunal that they had “repeatedly and intentionally misled the press, public and the fans of Newcastle United”.

We regret not contacting the club prior to the launch of our website to allow it to comment on its contents, but we realise it is better late than never and we certainly would not want any information on our website to be “wholly inaccurate”. To avoid falling foul of the thorough scrutiny the club seemingly applies in its public relations, we have to date published 37 articles on our website AshleyOut.com and we assure you we have earnestly endeavoured to ensure all articles are factually correct with sources referenced where applicable. In the spirit of your club statement we appreciate that “Newcastle United would like to clarify the facts for the benefit of supporters”, such as:
AshleyOut.com hereby offers you an invite to provide comment on the published articles on our website so that we may rectify any factual inaccuracies as long as accurate information is provided to counter any errors.

Should we not receive a response within 7 days of the date of this correspondence we will assume that all content on our website is 100% factually correct to the satisfaction of Newcastle United Football Club.

Yours sincerely,

AshleyOut.com

http://ashleyout.com/articles/dear-wendy-an-open-letter-to-wendy-taylor-nufc-head-of-media/
haha, that's awesome

Simply laughable how quickly the club decided to get on the front foot (less than an hour after the documentary aired) while there have been countless other incidents over the last 8 years where no such prompt response has been issued by the club. I suppose when Sports Direct is concerned, it's the club's duty (as another cheap brand) to defend the parent company with all possible dispatch, never mind if the club itself is being dragged through the mud. :rolleyes:

Also, I wonder how they honestly expect any fans to believe them given they've publicly admitted to lying and misleading to supporters in the past. There is no trust or confidence in the club in many fan's eyes.

Some good tweets popped up too, especially from Luke Edwards of the Telegraph, one of the best journos covering the saga...

As well as a few in this article from The Mag.

"Put out a statement as soon as it affects SD don’t you. God forbid HIS main company has its image tarnished"

"If only you reacted as quickly to sacking inept pathetic thug managers!"

"Wow statement within minutes of anything potentially negative surrounding SD. But when it comes to nufc who gives a f*** right????"

"Could you also provide some clarification on the missing points from last 7 games and lack of communication from the club #muppets"

http://www.themag.co.uk/2015/04/new...shley-and-club-after-sports-direct-statement/

Forgot to mention, Sport Direct's 2014 figures revealed the company made $3.4m from its relationship with NUFC (plus $3.8m for Rangers). It's also worth mentioning they don't pay a cent for advertising to the club so... so much for the claim that the club's relationship with Sports Direct 'benefits the club hugely (maybe the other way around haha).

Here's a better story to share regarding owners. :)

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/32516000

Worthing FC: Paralysed footballer now owns club he played for.

George Dowell dreamed of playing professional football before a car crash left him paralysed from the chest down and changed his life forever.

However, Dowell who used to play for Worthing FC now has a different dream - guiding the club to Conference South.

The former defender, 22, has bought the club he used to play for after using compensation from his accident to help the financially-troubled side.

He says he is likely to spend "hundreds of thousands" of pounds on the club but hopes it can also benefit the whole community.
"We're putting down the 3G pitch," he added. "When Worthing aren't using it the rest of the community can come and use it. It's great having a football centre that everyone can use.

"I love football but it's also a business decision. It will hopefully filter from younger players to the Worthing team and attract new players. The five-year plan is we want to be in Conference South."

Seeing the abomination we have become under Ashley, it is my goal to get rich enough to own a football team and do the complete opposite to everything he's done!

That's the dream mate! Here's hoping you win the lottery! ;)

Ashley could take a leaf out of that young bloke's book. Owning a club isn't just a business, its about the wider community, something he either doesn't realise or (more likely) doesn't care about.

I remember seeing an article a few weeks back asking if it was time for FC United of Newcastle.

Maybe it's needed to bring back the excitement and passion because supporting Newcastle United at present is certainly not an enjoyable experience - nor has it been for quite a while.

http://www.themag.co.uk/2015/04/is-fc-united-of-newcastle-the-only-way-forward/

Failing that, could just support Gateshead. :D

Howay the 'Heed! I lived in Gateshead when I was over there so I keep abreast of their fortunes. Imagine if there was a genuine Tyneside derby in a few years, likely to be due to NUFC dropping to the Conference...

Here's a better story to share regarding owners. :)

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/32516000

Worthing FC: Paralysed footballer now owns club he played for.

George Dowell dreamed of playing professional football before a car crash left him paralysed from the chest down and changed his life forever.

However, Dowell who used to play for Worthing FC now has a different dream - guiding the club to Conference South.

The former defender, 22, has bought the club he used to play for after using compensation from his accident to help the financially-troubled side.

He says he is likely to spend "hundreds of thousands" of pounds on the club but hopes it can also benefit the whole community.
"We're putting down the 3G pitch," he added. "When Worthing aren't using it the rest of the community can come and use it. It's great having a football centre that everyone can use.

"I love football but it's also a business decision. It will hopefully filter from younger players to the Worthing team and attract new players. The five-year plan is we want to be in Conference South."

Alas! Positivity!

Good luck to the lad. Could be a Frank Williams in the making (or a Lucas Dumbrell). Worthing have just missed out on a playoff spot, and since they're in the Isthmian Division One South, that's two tiers away from Conference South. Looking at the tables, he's got a good team, but not as good as the Top 4, if he can not only keep the team, but add to it, they could be up there next season.

Hopefully the community to get behind him (Community can use the pitch, very good) and the team, and take it to higher places.

Howay the 'Heed! I lived in Gateshead when I was over there so I keep abreast of their fortunes. Imagine if there was a genuine Tyneside derby in a few years, likely to be due to NUFC dropping to the Conference...

Sigh... the next Leicestershire team is Coalville Town down in Northern 1st Division South (Tier 8). Combined with the fact that Derby and Forest love each other, and the yobs down the road have some sort of weird fascination about us (Coventry City), there's just no team with that 'killer rivalry.'

A Tyneside derby would be pretty interesting! If things continued the way they are, maybe plenty of locals would just ship to either Gateshead or a new Newcastle club.

You'd think there'd be enough well off business people too and former players who might be willing to chip in and maybe form a consortium or something? Wasn't there some talk of the fans trying to 'buy' the club when we got relegated a few years back and implementing a supporters' trust or something?

Alas! Positivity!

Good luck to the lad. Could be a Frank Williams in the making (or a Lucas Dumbrell). Worthing have just missed out on a playoff spot, and since they're in the Isthmian Division One South, that's two tiers away from Conference South. Looking at the tables, he's got a good team, but not as good as the Top 4, if he can not only keep the team, but add to it, they could be up there next season.

Hopefully the community to get behind him (Community can use the pitch, very good) and the team, and take it to higher places.

Sigh... the next Leicestershire team is Coalville Town down in Northern 1st Division South (Tier 8). Combined with the fact that Derby and Forest love each other, and the yobs down the road have some sort of weird fascination about us (Coventry City), there's just no team with that 'killer rivalry.'

I don't know how much the young man got in compensation but I hope he doesn't squander it all on the club (or at least that - if he invests enough, the club can end up providing him with a stable and regular income to help him get through life).

Would be really great to get the community behind him and the club - sounds like he's well on the way too. Hopefully the new pitch and focus on continuing to develop younger players can help propel them into the Conference South in the next few years (per their 5 year target).

Any idea what kind of attendance they get Fryer?

I don't know how much the young man got in compensation but I hope he doesn't squander it all on the club (or at least that - if he invests enough, the club can end up providing him with a stable and regular income to help him get through life).

Would be really great to get the community behind him and the club - sounds like he's well on the way too. Hopefully the new pitch and focus on continuing to develop younger players can help propel them into the Conference South in the next few years (per their 5 year target).

Any idea what kind of attendance they get Fryer?

Hope not, would be a tragedy if it was all thrown away, especially given his circumstances and age. Hopefully some wise investing, with a view to a decent profit.

Hmm... For the Rebels...
Ground Capacity: 4000
Average attendance: 221 with a peak attendance of 448. It's the 22nd highest average out of the 136 clubs that make up Tier 8 (The highest being Darlington with an average of 1014). The average attendance for tier 8 is 171.

The current average for Conference North/South attendance is 574.

Speaking of... http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/worthing-football-club-main-stand-revamp/ Pledge 100 pounds, and your name will be engraved on a seat. 200 pounds gets you a season ticket (Darlington's season ticket for a seat is 225 pounds. In comparison, the average Conference season ticket price is 246 pounds), 250 pounds nets you a shirt signed by all the players and staff.

Why the revamp?

11196273_10206150492578154_8086437997777631686_n.jpg
11204982_10206150495378224_2094292253892144254_n.jpg

11170332_10206150496698257_1362207069746020614_n.jpg

As you can see in the crowdfunder link, the 3G pitch is ready to be installed.

Ah, and here's a pic of the new owner:
dowell.png

He wants this (like any good owner):
QgZOcvTd.jpg

Last edited:
Nice story above. I hope it works out well for him.

Another one, the owner of Hyde has agreed to sell out to a supporters trust for £50k.

He's written off £500k in outstanding loans in the process.

If City ever folded I'd just start going to more Altrincham games.

So many non league clubs in Manchester looking for supporters I don't really see the point in supporting a new one.

Last edited:
Hope not, would be a tragedy if it was all thrown away, especially given his circumstances and age. Hopefully some wise investing, with a view to a decent profit.

Hmm... For the Rebels...
Ground Capacity: 4000
Average attendance: 221 with a peak attendance of 448. It's the 22nd highest average out of the 136 clubs that make up Tier 8 (The highest being Darlington with an average of 1014). The average attendance for tier 8 is 171.

The current average for Conference North/South attendance is 574.

Speaking of... http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/worthing-football-club-main-stand-revamp/ Pledge 100 pounds, and your name will be engraved on a seat. 200 pounds gets you a season ticket (Darlington's season ticket for a seat is 225 pounds. In comparison, the average Conference season ticket price is 246 pounds), 250 pounds nets you a shirt signed by all the players and staff.

Why the revamp?

11196273_10206150492578154_8086437997777631686_n.jpg
11204982_10206150495378224_2094292253892144254_n.jpg

11170332_10206150496698257_1362207069746020614_n.jpg

As you can see in the crowdfunder link, the 3G pitch is ready to be installed.

Ah, and here's a pic of the new owner:
dowell.png

He wants this (like any good owner):
QgZOcvTd.jpg

Good on him and best of luck to him! Seems like he genuinely wants to help improve the club and is looking at ways to make things better. I'd love to see someone like that at the Toon, he's an owner the fans could get behind. :)

Nice story above. I hope it works out well for him.

Another one, the owner of Hyde has agreed to sell out to a supporters trust for £50k.

He's written off £500k in outstanding loans in the process.

If City ever folded I'd just start going to more Altrincham games.

So many non league clubs in Manchester looking for supporters I don't really see the point in supporting a new one.

That's pretty generous by the Hyde owner, that's a fair sum to write off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another article on Blackpool's plight: http://www.theguardian.com/football...-blackpool-tangerine-nightmare-stan-mortenson

Oyston basically seems to be taking the piss and loving the infamy (how about the number plate!?) yet it seems that the authorities can't step in. What a bizarre situation.

"Saturday is the anniversary of the 1953 FA Cup final when Stan Mortensen scored a hat-trick to help Blackpool turn a 3-1 deficit against Bolton Wanderers into a 4-3 win. A statue for “Morty” went up outside Bloomfield Road after a public fundraising drive in 1991 and the idea was that the supporters who are campaigning for Oyston’s removal would begin their protests before Saturday’s match against Huddersfield by laying flowers and other tributes.

Instead, the plinth has become a place for rubberneckers to congregate, shake their heads and wonder what on earth has become of the club. At 8am last Tuesday a forklift truck appeared, carrying a team of workmen with angle grinders. The statue was cut from its base and put among the lawnmowers and nets in a groundsman’s shed. There is talk of it being damaged and it is no wonder their supporters, as well as the relatives of Mortensen, are wondering if this is a warped game of tit-for-tat, in its most spiteful form, and some fans have decided to meet fire with fire. The supporters who caused the abandonment of their final game of the season by invading the pitch made their feelings absolutely clear."

That's just disgraceful. :(

While the FA can't seem to intervene until some rules are broken, surely something like the courts might be able to get involved? Football clubs are essentially part of the wider community they represent so there must be some way the fans can try and save their club?

Just mind boggling. When we inevitably go down, I'm sure fans will laugh at us like last time and we'll deserve it yet again. :(

Carver's admitted he thinks he's lost the players (or they don't listen to him not that is much different) and dissent is rife amongst the so called 'players' and professionals.

Club's response just reeks of cheapness yet again. Didn't have the stones to sack him (as similar to Pardew, they don't want to pay out his remaining 5-6 odd years).
Going down is a necessary evil for Newcastle and the PL right now. The Pardew Out campaign was completely misguided and has really hurt you, it was Ashley who should have been targeted from the start in my opinion. We live and die by our mistakes.

I think any manager would be slightly mad to take us on at the moment!

Even McLaren has largely been rather cold towards the links to us. There was a time when some managers might have seen us as a dream job but I think now we're only ever going to be stuck with hacks and more puppeteers happy to join the Ashley team. :confused:
Newcastle will be a dream job after Cashley leaves

Going down is a necessary evil for Newcastle and the PL right now. The Pardew Out campaign was completely misguided and has really hurt you, it was Ashley who should have been targeted from the start in my opinion. We live and die by our mistakes.

Yep, I tend to agree Tulip. I think at the time the reasoning was to go for Pardew (as it's easier to force a manager out than it is an owner).

Can only hope our seemingly inevitable relegation will force Ashley to put the club on the market and for a buyer to step forward.

Newcastle will be a dream job after Cashley leaves

We might a dream job once again...down in the Championship. :p

Yep, I tend to agree Tulip. I think at the time the reasoning was to go for Pardew (as it's easier to force a manager out than it is an owner).

Can only hope our seemingly inevitable relegation will force Ashley to put the club on the market and for a buyer to step forward.
I think change can be a powerful agent of good, but in reality and on reflection Pardiola was doing a decent job with what he had. I know he should have helped the fans and pressured Ashley, but sometimes you need to save your own skin.

Can see a real rebirth if you get relegated. Too many faces need changing.

We might a dream job once again...down in the Championship. :p
Why didn't Ashley sell the club last time you got relegated?

Just want to know why Newcastle fans think that this time will be different...

Why didn't Ashley sell the club last time you got relegated?

Just want to know why Newcastle fans think that this time will be different...

Lack of a decent buyer I guess. Who would want 1 of 24 Championship clubs, even with Newcastle's higher profile? Still a huge gamble that they'd go back up.

Lack of a decent buyer I guess. Who would want 1 of 24 Championship clubs, even with Newcastle's higher profile? Still a huge gamble that they'd go back up.
That's what i thought. the TV$$$ are only really significantly higher in the Prem and the value of the free Sports Direct Sponsorship is probably around 20m per season.

A lot of foreign owners who know that taking a Championship club up to the Premier League would pretty much result in a sharp increase of value? Half the Championship are owned by foreign owners. It's just seen as a more valuable investment then merely taking over a PL club that lacks the profile of a big club. Of course, it's up to them to ensure they make the smart decisions to get promoted, but the appeal to get the big payday is definitely there. Clubs could increase their value fivefold just by promotion.

Let's not forget that Ashley likely wants something crazy. Why pay for Newcastle when there's Huddlesfield? The Bournemouth story is decently known by now.

A lot of foreign owners who know that taking a Championship club up to the Premier League would pretty much result in a sharp increase of value? Half the Championship are owned by foreign owners. It's just seen as a more valuable investment then merely taking over a PL club that lacks the profile of a big club. Of course, it's up to them to ensure they make the smart decisions to get promoted, but the appeal to get the big payday is definitely there. Clubs could increase their value fivefold just by promotion.

Let's not forget that Ashley likely wants something crazy. Why pay for Newcastle when there's Huddlesfield? The Bournemouth story is decently known by now.

But why buy a club when they're in the Championship where there's no guarantee they'll get to the PL even with heavy investment - see Fulham, Blackburn, etc. - when they could wait 12 months for them to become a PL club again then buy them when it is certain they are in the PL? Yes you would pay more but the return over time would outweigh that. Plenty of clubs in the Championship have been bought and sold with no promotion success achieved.

But why buy a club when they're in the Championship where there's no guarantee they'll get to the PL even with heavy investment - see Fulham, Blackburn, etc. - when they could wait 12 months for them to become a PL club again then buy them when it is certain they are in the PL? Yes you would pay more but the return over time would outweigh that. Plenty of clubs in the Championship have been bought and sold with no promotion success achieved.

Two major factors:
1. They usually target a team that looks very good, and with the right amount of touching up, will be a Premier League side (Such as a losing playoff side)
2. They think they can take the Championship by storm. They're successful in business, so why can't they be successful here? (A bit of business pride) After all, you've got gold at the end of the rainbow. Just blitz the league and claim the gold! Simple!

From this current crop, if Brentford and Ipswich don't get promoted, they would be attractive targets.

When the Thais bought us out, we just lost a playoff semi to Cardiff (in a situation I don't care to remember). They originally thought they should buy their way out. So what did they do? Get Sven in and spend a crapload on individual players on huge pay packets (There were even talks about Beckham doing a loan spell with us). Naturally, it didn't work. We went backwards a bit, the players were overpaid and lazy. So what did they do? They learned from their mistake and rehired the guy that actually installed a culture and a clear direction into the club in his time here, your 'most favourite' manager of all time, Nigel Pearson.

I think Cardiff were in a similar boat. After Tan bought them, they were always up there. I think they did spend a fair bit of coin, but aside from off-field issues, there was a winning culture there amongst the playing group.

The promoted sides are not the ones that spend the most, they're the ones that build a culture, a play style, and then using their business know-how, exercise their power when they see fit. Whatever is spent in the Championship is going to reimbursed, and there's always that business sense of pride in knowing that you promoted the team to the Premier League. It looks more impressive then being an also-ran in the PL.

When I saw Fulham spent 11m on McCormack, I knew they were going to struggle. The Premier League and Championship are very different animals. Owners that think they can get in there and get rich quick have another thing coming, you need to put in some real effort to get promotion. That's the difference between those who are hasty, pumping their coin in, expecting instant success, and growing something that might actually benefit the Premier League in being respectable opposition.

That separates the Thais from the Fawads and the Raos. It looks good and very tempting, but only those that are prepared to work for it, will be rewarded with promotion. Whether they can stay up is another question.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back