Paddy Ryder- A post trade comment

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/ho...to-port-adelaide/story-fndv8s6g-1227347427920
How Paddy Ryder dealt with the difficult Essendon probe by crossing to Port Adelaide
PORT Adelaide’s Paddy Ryder is a contrasting personality, and an intriguing one at that.

The former Bomber is a shy but likable bloke who is just trying to make his way, but can also put his foot down when it comes to more serious matters than everyday talk.
He chats casually about how well his family is settling in at Adelaide and how much he has enjoyed his time at Adelaide. But he is also unafraid to fire bullets, if that’s what required and he feels as though he has been wronged.
``Coming here is making my peace with it,’’ Ryder said. ``I’m very happy here and I’m just looking forward to playing footy now.’’
More.......
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/ho...to-port-adelaide/story-fndv8s6g-1227347427920
upload_2015-5-8_21-28-42.png
Port Adelaide Paddy Ryder at training

After the north win and they had Paddy, Ah Chee and Krak in the inner circle singing the song- despite Krak signing the song on debut when we won in rd 1 2007 - I double checked the 3 clubs they came from, East Freo, South Freo and Claremont - which are the 3 clubs the Noongars mainly play for in the WAFL over the last 50 years or so. Every little bit helps.

Wouldn't say that REH. All WAFL clubs have a pretty proud history in terms of the contributions of aboriginal footballers and it's pretty hard to distinguish between any of them.

I don't know if there are any stats that track this kind of thing as closely as in the AFL, but today in all of the grades (colts, reserves and league) I would guess that there is a remarkably high proportion of indigenous players.

I think the WAFL has proven a very successful mechanism for indigenous engagement and it's one of the reasons why I have *some* empathy for the positions of the very one eyed group who are very protective of the SANFL. Local clubs are also very effective at this, but I think the semi-professional environment of the second tier of football provides some significant benefits for the community.

Wouldn't say that REH. All WAFL clubs have a pretty proud history in terms of the contributions of aboriginal footballers and it's pretty hard to distinguish between any of them.

I don't know if there are any stats that track this kind of thing as closely as in the AFL, but today in all of the grades (colts, reserves and league) I would guess that there is a remarkably high proportion of indigenous players.

I think the WAFL has proven a very successful mechanism for indigenous engagement and it's one of the reasons why I have *some* empathy for the positions of the very one eyed group who are very protective of the SANFL. Local clubs are also very effective at this, but I think the semi-professional environment of the second tier of football provides some significant benefits for the community.

That's reasonable, but the SANFL doesn't really 'accept' itself as a second tier to anyone and only behaves that way when it's convenient for them or when they are pushed into it. The WAFL at least seems well adjusted to its role as development league aligned with the needs of the AFL clubs plus communities.

That's reasonable, but the SANFL doesn't really 'accept' itself as a second tier to anyone and only behaves that way when it's convenient for them or when they are pushed into it. The WAFL at least seems well adjusted to its role as development league aligned with the needs of the AFL clubs plus communities.
Second tier leagues would have to pay second tier rates, to players all the way up to the golden troughs of Whicker and co. Until the SANFL clubs can't bleed the AFL clubs unsustainably (and we're finally on the right track) and have to live within their means things won't change. It'd be nice to see at least one SANFL club boss call out why the SANFL hierarchy are still being payed at levels, as if it was still the days when it was close to VFL level.

My two lads have both announced that their favourite player is no longer The Hoff, but Paddy Ryder.

I still love the Hoff but am content with their choice.

In my post I didnt mean that the other 5 older Perth clubs didnt do good stuff with them, as I know Polly Farmer came from East Perth Barry Cable Perth and Bill Dempsey West Perth, but when I started watching footy especially state games in the late 70's and then for a few years in the 1980's we got match of the round from WA on Ch 7 in Adelaide on a Sunday, the 3 clubs I mentioned tended to have noticeably more indigenous players. South Fremantle had Stephen Michael, Benny Vigona, Basil Campbell and Maurice Rioli ( yes originally NT boy) play and star in their 1980 flag and 1981 GF. Wally Matera in 1982, then brothers Peter and Phil later on and Nicky Winmar in 1983.

South Fremantle as far as I know is the only footy club in Oz that competes in the no.1 state league comp who has named its Indigenous team of the Century. It has a HofF but not a general Team of the century.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_...outh_Fremantle_Indigenous_Team_of_the_Century

I was actually talking to Nathan Krakouer about this last night at the Club 1870 event. He agreed they were probably the 3 biggest clubs over the years but told me all clubs had plenty of indigenous players and that Nooghars went up as far as Geraldton, but there are different clans/grouping within the definition of Noongars and some of those groups are bigger than others and that might affect the numbers that come through.

In my post I didnt mean that the other 5 older Perth clubs didnt do good stuff with them, as I know Polly Farmer came from East Perth Barry Cable Perth and Bill Dempsey West Perth, but when I started watching footy especially state games in the late 70's and then for a few years in the 1980's we got match of the round from WA on Ch 7 in Adelaide on a Sunday, the 3 clubs I mentioned tended to have noticeably more indigenous players. South Fremantle had Stephen Michael, Benny Vigona, Basil Campbell and Maurice Rioli ( yes originally NT boy) play and star in their 1980 flag and 1981 GF. Wally Matera in 1982, then brothers Peter and Phil later on and Nicky Winmar in 1983.

South Fremantle as far as I know is the only footy club in Oz that competes in the no.1 state league comp who has named its Indigenous team of the Century. It has a HofF but not a general Team of the century.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_...outh_Fremantle_Indigenous_Team_of_the_Century

I was actually talking to Nathan Krakouer about this last night at the Club 1870 event. He agreed they were probably the 3 biggest clubs over the years but told me all clubs had plenty of indigenous players and that Nooghars went up as far as Geraldton, but there are different clans/grouping within the definition of Noongars and some of those groups are bigger than others and that might affect the numbers that come through.

Yeah South Freo undeniably have a pretty amazing history in that regard. It's just that it seems that there is so many examples of gun players from all clubs that it's hard to single out three in particular. Having played against the Swan Districts zone as a 15-16 year old it seemed over half the side was aborigine! Most ended up going on to the colts system and see a few names around the WAFL that look familiar from that time so it's good they kept at it at a semi-professional level. A couple made it to the AFL, but both have had pretty major issues which wasn't a shock despite being obscenely good footballers.

Yeah South Freo undeniably have a pretty amazing history in that regard. It's just that it seems that there is so many examples of gun players from all clubs that it's hard to single out three in particular. Having played against the Swan Districts zone as a 15-16 year old it seemed over half the side was aborigine! Most ended up going on to the colts system and see a few names around the WAFL that look familiar from that time so it's good they kept at it at a semi-professional level. A couple made it to the AFL, but both have had pretty major issues which wasn't a shock despite being obscenely good footballers.

After the Hawks game I started thinking how good would it be if Paddy Ryder became our Stephen Michael. He is a bit taller 3cm than Michael and a little heavier, but I dont think he is as tough as what Michael was. Stephen Michael was a ruckman who in 1983 moved to ruck rover was picked in the all Oz side as captain and became an enforcer both for WA a state gamet level and South Fremantle. He was stiff not to be in the inaugural Australian Football Hall of Fame in 1996 but he got inducted in 1999. I reckon one day will be made a legend of the HofF.

The closest modern day player to Michael is Goodes, but Goodes whilst the same height is about 8kgs heavier.Goodes is a better kick and mark but he isnt as tough as what Michael was and isnt quiet as athletic IMO.

Last edited:
After the Hawks game I started thinking how good would it be if Paddy Ryder became our Stephen Michael. He is a bit taller 3cm than Michael and a little heavier, but I dont think he is as tough as what Michael was. Stephen Michael was a ruckman who in 1983 moved to ruck rover was picked in the all Oz side as captain and became an enforcer both at WAFL level and South Fremantle. He was stiff not to be in the inaugural Australian Football Hall of Fame in 1996 but he got inducted in 1999. I reckon one day will be made a legend of the HofF.

The closest modern day player to Michael is Goodes, but Goodes whilst the same height is about 8kgs heavier.Goodes is a better kick and mark but he isnt as tough as what Michael was and isnt quiet as athletic IMO.
A hardarse Blicavs?

A hardarse Blicavs?

Harder than Blicavs but not as athletic in terms of endurance but probably quicker over 20-30m. I had a decent chat to ex WAFC commissioner, founder of WCE and Swans chairman between 1993-2014 Richard Colless at a function in 2013 and asked him about the Stephen Michael v Adam Goodes comparison and he said it was a difficult thing to split them but he agreed with me that Michael had him covered for toughness. He moved like a gazelle. Probably my favourite indigenous player of all time. Played as ruck, follower, CHF, FF, and CHB

Michael won the Sandover medal in 1980 and 1981 - South Freo won the flag in 1980 and made the GF in 1981. His 1981 medal he scored 37 votes the highest ever under a 3-2-1 voting system. They have had 5-4-3-2-1 since 1985. Think Kane Mitchell in 2012 has the highest votes under that system. He never went to Victoria as he was one of 11 kids and was putting food on the table for the family and even though he chatted to a few Vic clubs he didnt think he could leave his family.

There isnt a lot of stuff on Stephen Michael up on You Tube and you have to watch some of those state of origin games to see him. #25 for South Freo and #23 for WA

This is a tribute from 7 Perth on his 200th in 1983 - he played about 210 consecutive games starting from his debut game. Mal Brown organised a Stephen Michael Express train trip from Fremantle to Bassendean for the game v Swan Districts.

This WA vs SA in 1982 at Subi state game video you get an idea of his style in this 36 minute video package of the game. This game was played a month after South Australia beat Western Australia by 116 points at Football Park. The winning margin was 91 points in this match, so a 207 point turnaround in a month.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=676&v=14lz_PTTi48

12 months later in WA v SA game he was BOG and won the Simpson medal and WA won by 4 goals at Subi (nothing on You Tube). Then a few weeks later there was one on those magnificent Tuesday arvo WA v Vic State of Origin games where WA won by 3 pts 16.22 to 16.19 ( 2 of the next 3 state games WA beat the Vics at Subi by 4 and 3 pts). Michael played ok before half time, but along with Maurice Rioli had a big second half, especially last quarter, led WA to Victoria, won the Tassie medal for best player in the state games between WA,SA ad Vic and was named all Oz captain. Only have video of the first 7 minutes of this game - pity I cant find the last quarter on You Tube. You would see why he was so special.

A hardarse Blicavs?
This has probably the best highlights of him on You Tube according to my WA mate UpForGrabs. Its the 1979 WAFL derby GF East Freo v South Freo. Easts won by 5 goals and Kevin Taylor a state of origin rover kicked 7 that day and won the Simpson medal. Michael was best or second best for Souths. He was 6 foot 4 (193 cm) in an era when most ruckmen were between 6 foot 4 and 6 foot 6. Look at the way he moves. He's #25.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ryder needs a handful this week.
Hit outs to advantages? He wont kick 5. Never has and maybe never will. He has kicked 4 twice. He played up forward when Essendon had Hille and others as first ruck. He aint a big goal kicker.

Hit outs to advantages? He wont kick 5. Never has and maybe never will. He has kicked 4 twice. He played up forward when Essendon had Hille and others as first ruck. He aint a big goal kicker.

Don't think you can say he won't (ever) kick 5. He's improving every year, terrific mark, very composed kick for goal and a pretty handy snap shot at ground level. He kicked 3 against Adelaide from 5 kicks. We aren't far away from a game where things click and as part of a three pronged tall forward line Paddy could be the beneficiary of a few inside 50s.

Yeah very premature REH.. We'll get a hold of a few sides whilst he's a part of our club. In fact I'd say its likely.
176 games, 75 at Docklands the overwhelming majority with a closed roof, and has never kicked 5. The balance of probabilities are in line with what I said "and maybe never wil." How many more games experience do you reckon he needs before he kicks 5? Ok he might luck out and kick them against a s**t side but history suggests he probably wont do it against a top 4 to 6 side.

I'm watching the Gold Coast being belted by the Eagles and thinking about all the people that wrote on the Port board or on big footy in general or on TPFP that the GC were going to win a flag by their 5th year. I argued against it happening on that account and I dont believe Ryder will kick it unless the opposition is really really poor. 176 games is a decent sample size.

It's not games experience... It's the fact he's settling into a more permanent forward role.

I understand he's played there before over the journey, but not like he will with us.
I dont think he will settle into a permanent role as a forward, as injury and form to Lobbe will be a factor, match ups will be a big factor and if we keep sitting him 80m from goal because we struggle to get it inside 50 often enough that will also be relevant.

Mind you, if we manage to get it inside 50 metres 75 times tomorrow against the Lions, given their lack of height and experience who knows what he might do.

I would almost bet my house on him kicking 5 at one point in his career, provided he plays another 100 odd games for us at least.

But he doesn't need to dominate the scoreboard to have a big impact for us as Ruck/Forward.

There are a couple of posters here blaming Paddy for our bad footy.........I'm pretty angry at this.

Patrick Ryder has been a revelation for our club, and no where near the reason we are losing games. Our mid field has been terrible. Westhoff has been a lazy lazy s**t. Even Travis is playing like s**t. The Lobster is doing what he has to do.............we've got lazy and i don't want you guys to blame Patrick on this. He's been worth his weight in gold for us, the rest of us are copper at the moment.

There are a couple of posters here blaming Paddy for our bad footy.........I'm pretty angry at this.

Patrick Ryder has been a revelation for our club, and no where near the reason we are losing games. Our mid field has been terrible. Westhoff has been a lazy lazy s**t. Even Travis is playing like s**t. The Lobster is doing what he has to do.............we've got lazy and i don't want you guys to blame Patrick on this. He's been worth his weight in gold for us, the rest of us are copper at the moment.

I think Paddy has been good for us and based on his Essendon form he will improve. The drugs probe must have affected his mental state and it is not over yet. Paddy's pre season was also affected as he did not play a practice game thanks to the drugs fiasco. This meant that Ken had to fit him into the side starting round 1 without any 'experimentation'.

At Essendon Paddy was the no1 ruckman with the occasional cameo up forward. With us Paddy has been no2 to Lobbe and is being used around the ground. This may also have affected Westhoff who was support Lobbe last year. It maybe a question of getting the roles for Lobbe, Ryder and Westhoff sorted out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back