Paddy Ryder- A post trade comment

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm just not getting this.

I rate Lobbe, I really do - but you've brought in a new number one ruckman; and Ryder is the superior player.

He really isn't when viewing rucking alone which is what everyone is saying. Lobbe averages more hitouts and what is important, and what many commentators who never watch Port games overlook is his defensive work. I think he was 4th in the league in tackles in 2014. He is very good at negating better ruckman so even if they get the hitout, it tends to drop at their feet (hence the high tackle count) and he locks them up.

It's a very long way back for Redden. Over a season and a half out of the game, he'll almost be like a first year recruit from a fitness base level, will need to get his co-ords back as well as a feel for the pace of the game that he was only just starting to get before he got injured.

I'm glad people on our board are sensible ... I've seen so much written (mainly port pages on Facebook) expecting Red to be firing in AFL from round 1.

im not convinced he'll come back at all

hoping he turns out like Lade who missed 2 seasons with broken legs to being a star... but its such an unknown how Red will come back

After such a long time out i would just hope he can get some consistent footy playing for the maggies later in the year
He will definitely play SNAFLE in 2015. We will know by end of 2015 whether he will return to AFL.

If he breaks down during the year, I suggest it is goodbye.

This problem demands two more rucks on our list.

GCS only used their first 3 picks just like it was rumoured during trade week, so to get Gorringe we needed 28 or better
The trade never had a chance once Ryder came on the market and pick 36 was of no use to them.

If Ryder plays in the preseason games then I want Lobbe to play most of those games at FF. I want Lobbe to get practice playing forward. We know Paddy caj play there.

If Paddy struggles to play forward because he needs the work and gets bored up forward Id rather play him at CHB and Jacko at CHF whilst Lobbe is rucking.
This is exactly why we got him, options options and more options!

Ryder needs to get stronger I been watching a Roos/bombers game and he was destroyed in almost every contest because he was too weak, I think he needs to put some size on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryder needs to get stronger I been watching a Roos/bombers game and he was destroyed in almost every contest because he was too weak, I think he needs to put some size on

His extraordinary leap and agility are his major strengths. I wouldn't want to go messing around with that too much.

He looks naturally lean and it's said you can't fatten a thoroughbred.
Burgo the master sculptor will weave his magic on Paddy and as good as he already is
Ken thinks he will improve :D:D:D:D. 4 big grins 4 our #4.

Not too much that he loses his spring and natural athleticism. We already have Lobbe for the body ruck to wear the opposition ruck down, ideally this then creates opportunity for Paddy to spring over the top of them late in the game.

A very experienced athletic ruckman at his peak coming into one of the best and fittest teams in the land, I'd say it's a win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not too much that he loses his spring and natural athleticism. We already have Lobbe for the body ruck to wear the opposition ruck down, ideally this then creates opportunity for Paddy to spring over the top of them late in the game.
He can get strong without being slow. In fact strength can/should make him quicker and jump higher. Anyway I'm sure Burgo knows what he's doing.

GCS only used their first 3 picks just like it was rumoured during trade week, so to get Gorringe we needed 28 or better
The trade never had a chance once Ryder came on the market and pick 36 was of no use to them.
Shame Gorringe and his dad had the dummy spit. Doesn't he see that we couldn't get him unless GC would come to the ballgame, which they obviously didn't. He might have burned his bridges now. Wonder where he will go next season.

Shame Gorringe and his dad had the dummy spit. Doesn't he see that we couldn't get him unless GC would come to the ballgame, which they obviously didn't. He might have burned his bridges now. Wonder where he will go next season.

who cares. Gorringe is dead to me after he acted like a petulant little child. He will shortly have a long long time out of AFL football to reflect on his s**t attitude.

My tip......Norwood.

I think Ryder is a better centre tap ruckman than Lobbe. His leap and taps to advantage seem to be better from the limited vision I have seen of Ryder. Lobbe however is a much better around the ground ruckman with his size and second efforts. I think they compliment each other very well. Start Ryder in the middle and have him move forward and then push Lobbe into the midfield is how I see the partnership working.

I think Ryder is a better centre tap ruckman than Lobbe. His leap and taps to advantage seem to be better from the limited vision I have seen of Ryder. Lobbe however is a much better around the ground ruckman with his size and second efforts. I think they compliment each other very well. Start Ryder in the middle and have him move forward and then push Lobbe into the midfield is how I see the partnership working.

Agree. Preference is to have rucks that contrast and compliment with each other rather then be the same as it makes it much more difficult for the opposition to combat/match up on.

He will definitely play SNAFLE in 2015. We will know by end of 2015 whether he will return to AFL.

If he breaks down during the year, I suggest it is goodbye.

This problem demands two more rucks on our list.

Redden is progressing ok..still a few niggles from the sound of it. They are being very careful with his rehab.
His challenge will be getting confidence back in his body. He realises the harsh realities of AFL...

If Ryder plays in the preseason games then I want Lobbe to play most of those games at FF. I want Lobbe to get practice playing forward. We know Paddy caj play there.

If Paddy struggles to play forward because he needs the work and gets bored up forward Id rather play him at CHB and Jacko at CHF whilst Lobbe is rucking.

You think Jacko has the kicking technique to play CHF ? Or are you seeing him more so for bringing the ball to ground along with his tenacious attack on the ball to hand of to our little guys ?

He leads and marks like a chf.

Get the video tape out of Rd 7 2010 when Tredders does his ankle injury that ends his career and we move Jacko to chf after Tredders goes off early in the 2nd quarter.And then a few weeks later in Darwin v Melbourne when we were useless in the first half and he went to chf and gave us a forward target. went from 6 goals down to losing by a point.

You think Jacko has the kicking technique to play CHF ? Or are you seeing him more so for bringing the ball to ground along with his tenacious attack on the ball to hand of to our little guys ?

Considering we were the best centre clearance team in the comp, I highly doubt his ruckwork at centre clearance is poor
Totally.

Lobbe is a great stoppage and boundary throw in ruckman. His centre work is poor though. This is where Ryder comes into it.
siderig

He leads and marks like a chf.

Get the video tape out of Rd 7 2010 when Tredders does his ankle injury that ends his career and we move Jacko to chf after Tredders goes off early in the 2nd quarter.And then a few weeks later in Darwin v Melbourne when we were useless in the first half and he went to chf and gave us a forward target. went from 6 goals down to losing by a point.

I will have a look at that one, thanks REH :) I tried to block out those dark days in my memory, probably locked those game up in the vault :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back