List Mgmt. Welcome to Geelong Padraig Lucey - Rookie Draft selection no. 49

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon a pattern like this would be very handy:
View attachment 80479
It'd be useful if he could confuse the opposition but it might just make him dizzy and he won't get a possession. :(

*resists the temptation to quiz MCExtraDollop on what seasonings he'd like on Lucey :)
Send him to Beaurepaires for an alignment if he's all over the shop to that extent!

Don't have any problems with the listing of this guy.

But if he's required to play seniors at all next year I would have thought we are still in deep, deep trouble in the ruck.

Hope to see him debut in the ones early in 2017.

The point is, we need a stopgap if both Simpson and McIntosh are unavailable, as Blicavs/Walker and Blicavs/Vardy have been unable to get the job done for us in the past two years (Blicavs has improved out of sight, so perhaps a combo with Vardy might not be as bad in 2015 as it was in 2013). So, no, I don't want to see him playing next year, as I think our ruck stocks are actually not too bad, when everyone is healthy. But he's a potential contingency, if Simpson and McIntosh break down at the wrong time, yet again. And he'll be a lot cheaper and a lot more content to just be on the list than a ruckman with AFL experience that we might be able to poach from a rival club probably would be.

That's the thing. People are looking at what happened the past two years and searching for potential ruck options from other clubs; players that might cost us 300k a year and might not even get out of the VFL, if McIntosh and Simpson hold up next year. Lucey, on the other hand, is essentially a free hit, he's young, he's big and he's got good scope to develop.

Don't have any problems with the listing of this guy.

But if he's required to play seniors at all next year I would have thought we are still in deep, deep trouble in the ruck.

Another 'plug and play' ruck man is absolutely vital for 2015. And it can't be this bloke.

All things going well for Paddy, I hope to see him debut in the ones early in 2017.

definitely, he can't be the only option; we need to trade in someone who's ready to go now, as well.

Happy with the pick up. A category B rookie is basically a free hit IMO.
I've been watching the recruit and at 1st he didn't impress me but he got a rocket from Voss and turned his attitude around and was a very strong competitor. He won the challenge that involved the AIS testing and the challenge last week holding the cinder block over his head.
Footy wise he didn't seem out of place in the crows/port game they showed.. is a big lump of a lad as well

The point is, we need a stopgap if both Simpson and McIntosh are unavailable, as Blicavs/Walker and Blicavs/Vardy have been unable to get the job done for us in the past two years (Blicavs has improved out of sight, so perhaps a combo with Vardy might not be as bad in 2015 as it was in 2013). So, no, I don't want to see him playing next year, as I think our ruck stocks are actually not too bad, when everyone is healthy. But he's a potential contingency, if Simpson and McIntosh break down at the wrong time, yet again. And he'll be a lot cheaper and a lot more content to just be on the list than a ruckman with AFL experience that we might be able to poach from a rival club probably would be.

That's the thing. People are looking at what happened the past two years and searching for potential ruck options from other clubs; players that might cost us 300k a year and might not even get out of the VFL, if McIntosh and Simpson hold up next year. Lucey, on the other hand, is essentially a free hit, he's young, he's big and he's got good scope to develop.

Just my opinion, but I'm putting the prospect of them both being available (and actually useful) at senior level for most of 2015 at virtually zero. More back surgery just now for Daws (who never got out of first gear in 2014), and another year older for HMac (who was barely going at the pointy end this season).

Furthermore, I put the probability of even one of them being actually out there (and genuinely serviceable) in the ones throughout next year at less than 50%.

So the salary cap/list space 'sacrifice' that you rightly point out we would have to make to bring another realistic option into the mix for 2015 is absolutely justified (and completely necessary) in my view.

Goodness knows the 'optimistic' view on our boys recovering fantastically from chronic injuries has not served us well these last couple of years.:thumbsdown:

I saw this by searching AFL on Google, quickly ran onto our board and it's true :D didn't like him much at first, but like may others he grew on people, he grew on the show too skills, personality wise. Did think he had a future but was never a worthy winner. Got all the faith in the world on Padraig though.

Hmmm not that The Recruit actually shows us any footy but he hasnt seemed to show much in the mental strength department...

Also start losing the puppy fat son!
Don't agree re: mental strength. Vossy told him to change his attitude and to his credit the guy did after looking like a total dick the first few weeks, and fought hard even winning the Captains Challenge. I think this is a good rookie signing myself, and I agree he needs to get fitter than what he was on The Recruit. he has raw talent and could do well given the chance.

Just my opinion, but I'm putting the prospect of them both being available (and actually useful) at senior level for most of 2015 at virtually zero. More back surgery just now for Daws (who never got out of first gear in 2014), and another year older for HMac (who was barely going at the pointy end this season).

Furthermore, I put the probability of even one of them being actually out there (and genuinely serviceable) in the ones throughout next year at less than 50%.

So the salary cap/list space 'sacrifice' that you rightly point out we would have to make to bring another realistic option into the mix for 2015 is absolutely justified (and completely necessary) in my view.

Goodness knows the 'optimistic' view on our boys recovering fantastically from chronic injuries has not served us well these last couple of years.:thumbsdown:

We might have to revisit this in 8-10 months. I think we were pretty stiff at the start of 2013 with an unbelievable string of injuries to our ruckmen during preseason, then shot ourselves in the foot by leaving West out of the finals lineup. I think at the end of the day, if the club was as pessimistic about it as you are, the simple option is to delist/retire one of the incumbents. Essentially, I don't want Simpson, McIntosh and another ready-to-go first choice ruckman on our list. I think it's overkill. And with Blicavs, Walker and presumably Vardy available to be the second ruckman, we have the ability to ease Simpson and McIntosh through the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We might have to revisit this in 8-10 months. I think we were pretty stiff at the start of 2013 with an unbelievable string of injuries to our ruckmen during preseason, then shot ourselves in the foot by leaving West out of the finals lineup. I think at the end of the day, if the club was as pessimistic about it as you are, the simple option is to delist/retire one of the incumbents. Essentially, I don't want Simpson, McIntosh and another ready-to-go first choice ruckman on our list. I think it's overkill. And with Blicavs, Walker and presumably Vardy available to be the second ruckman, we have the ability to ease Simpson and McIntosh through the year.

Agree completely. And I believe it may well happen.

Which would be a far better option than hanging on to the fragile hope that both of them will be handy for us next year.

Just cannot see that happening.

I do know that geelong have had a quiet word to another contestant on the show and someone who's currently still in the race to win the Recruit, but they haven't guaranteed anything.

I do know that geelong have had a quiet word to another contestant on the show and someone who's currently still in the race to win the Recruit, but they haven't guaranteed anything.
Apparently Morlo is being interviewed by a few clubs, but I don't think we are one of them. I heard Richmond & Carlton. Waylen has been seen at Collingwood recently, and it looks like he might end up on the Pies rookie list. Word is Waylens VAFA form has been very good.

I really liked Nathan Jackel in this show :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back