List Mgmt. Welcome to Geelong Padraig Lucey - Rookie Draft selection no. 49

Remove this Banner Ad

Apparently Morlo is being interviewed by a few clubs, but I don't think we are one of them. I heard Richmond & Carlton. Waylen has been seen at Collingwood recently, and it looks like he might end up on the Pies rookie list.
According to him we are.
But aren't all our cat B rookie list spots occupied now?
I think we're allowed 3 B Grade rookies plus an Irish rookie to be situated on that list, but don't take my word for it.

According to him we are.
Time will tell. So much bullshit speculation, and dodgy rumours this time of year.

On another note, I've read Hawthorns ruckman Luke Lowden (204 cm) is being chased too by several clubs. I hope our Club takes a good look at this one. 23 yo ruckman who can kick goals.

Last edited:
I thought you were allowed 2 cat B rookies. iirc Luxford and Blicavs are cat B atm with Blicavs almost certainly to be upgraded to senior list. So there should be 1 spot free now.

In 1997, the AFL introduced the Rookie List which is now recognised as one of the key list management tools available to clubs.

Over time, the size of the Rookie List and qualification criteria have been amended to allow clubs more flexibility in the way players can enter the AFL competition. It has created opportunities for players and encourages the development and recruitment of players from outside normal player pathways while the dropping of the maximum age qualification has encouraged clubs to also draft mature-age players.

With the entry of the Gold Coast Suns and GWS Giants into the AFL, clubs were permitted to have a minimum of four and up to eight players on their rookie list but starting from 2013 the maximum will be reduced to six. These six rookies are now classified as Category A rookies.

In addition to these six rookie-listed players, each club can include up to three additional players (now referred to as Category B rookies) on its Rookie List provided the player either:

• has not registered in an Australian Football competition for three years immediately before inclusion on the Rookie List;
• is an international player, meaning he is not an Australian citizen and has not lived in Australia for a substantial period;
• is a former NSW Scholarship player with that club;
• is a former International Scholarship player with that club;
• is a rookie Zone Selection for clubs based in NSW or Queensland.

IRISH ROOKIE PRE-SELECTION

Irish players can be signed directly to a club’s Rookie List under the International Player Rule and do not have to go through the draft. Previously, Irish players could not be listed as Category B rookies but took a spot on the main Rookie List.

Clubs can now list one Irish player as a Category B rookie but for each additional Irish player rookie listed, that player will be deemed to be a Category A rookie and the club will forfeit its last selection in the Rookie Draft for each additional player listed.

i think next we should tap into the untried welsh athlete market.

I would love the commentators to tackle something like...

Bleiddudd Cadwgawn from llanfairpwllgwyngyll.
C'mon now. Some of our current commentators struggle as it is with very simple words:D:oops:

Correct... Now for next weeks tattslott numbers!!
Perfect fit for us.. Cost nothing and doesn't take up list space.
Determined young and aggressive.
Move over Wellsy!!

S13 , was there something that appealed to you about him. I have been watching it , preferred Foster but still I'll give credit to him , he cam on strong at the end. Winning that pain challenge "Pain is temporary" was impressive.
I said Blitz would be lucky to play a game , didn't take me long to make me eat my words. Well the same here this fella will be lucky to get close to playing in two years...

But 2 years on the CatB for a 204cm guy. Thumbs up. Well done Cats. Now just find someone that could ruck in 2015.

I hope that's not the extent of our incoming ruck stocks this off season. May as well have recruited that girl with the bunny ears from Big Brother.
Reckon it might be unless Dawson gives it away. I agree with the consensus that we need to improve our ruck division but not convinced it's all that is standing between us and a flag. Carry the current group and go shopping at the end of next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon it might be unless Dawson gives it away. I agree with the consensus that we need to improve our ruck division but not convinced it's all that is standing between us and a flag. Carry the current group and go shopping at the end of next year.

a common theme on this forum was that simpson and hmac could only make us a better team then in 2013, and that a premiership was on the cards, we can only get better they said

a common theme on this forum was that simpson and hmac could only make us a better team then in 2013, and that a premiership was on the cards, we can only get better they said
My cricket club was full of people in February making bold predictions about the upcoming season. Most common prediction... Geelong to miss the 8. Yet I'm not going to remind them of it, everyone makes mistakes.:D

S13 , was there something that appealed to you about him. I have been watching it , preferred Foster but still I'll give credit to him , he cam on strong at the end. Winning that pain challenge "Pain is temporary" was impressive.
I said Blitz would be lucky to play a game , didn't take me long to make me eat my words. Well the same here this fella will be lucky to get close to playing in two years...

But 2 years on the CatB for a 204cm guy. Thumbs up. Well done Cats. Now just find someone that could ruck in 2015.
There were a few things that made me think he might be a chance.
Has made the trip from Ireland , a courageous move in itself.
Apparently tested well in Ireland and was encouraged to pursue it further.
Whilst was found wanting and. Unprepared initially with the required effort and will he showed tremendous determination and perseverance to continue and outshine the others once he got the rocket from Vossy.
Comes from a ball game background.
He's 21 and 204cm..
The Irish have been quick to adapt to our game.
Definitely worth a few years with our development coaches and who knows we might have a real player ala Blicavs!

i think next we should tap into the untried welsh athlete market.

I would love the commentators to tackle something like...

Bleiddudd Cadwgawn from llanfairpwllgwyngyll.

BT would still probably get his name wrong.

There were a few things that made me think he might be a chance.
Has made the trip from Ireland , a courageous move in itself.
Apparently tested well in Ireland and was encouraged to pursue it further.
Whilst was found wanting and. Unprepared initially with the required effort and will he showed tremendous determination and perseverance to continue and outshine the others once he got the rocket from Vossy.
Comes from a ball game background.
He's 21 and 204cm..
The Irish have been quick to adapt to our game.
Definitely worth a few years with our development coaches and who knows we might have a real player ala Blicavs!

Agree with all that , Im not confident in the long term retention of Irish guys but little to lose.

Except, SJ, Mackie, Bundy, Taylor, Kelly for starters, have all had substandard seasons.
Any improvement would be predicated on all players playing to their 2013 standard or better, not worse.
I for one, did not expect the same output from SJ, Kelly, Bartel, and Mackie was AA last year, and was not going to improve.
Our players of the Selwood/Hawkins vintage- really, there is only Varcoe, are too few in number. The tier below (Bundy, Vardy, Motlop, THunt, Guthrie, Menzel) are still inconsistent or injured; the older tier, no need to name them, are just declining.

Except, SJ, Mackie, Bundy, Taylor, Kelly for starters, have all had substandard seasons.
Any improvement would be predicated on all players playing to their 2013 standard or better, not worse.
I for one, did not expect the same output from SJ, Kelly, Bartel, and Mackie was AA last year, and was not going to improve.
Our players of the Selwood/Hawkins vintage- really, there is only Varcoe, are too few in number. The tier below (Bundy, Vardy, Motlop, THunt, Guthrie, Menzel) are still inconsistent or injured; the older tier, no need to name them, are just declining.

old age catches up with everyone doesnt it.

we could have darren flanigan in his prime and that still wouldn't be a complete fix

Lucey is a free hit outside the normal rookie list,worth a try.i dont think it says anything one way or the other about if we trade for a ruck,they are separate issues.

Based on nothing but his size, his age and what I've read in this thread, I am quite happy with this signing. Now get him down working with Ottens, STAT!

The interesting part about this and him working with Otto is that given he has NO footy background, Otto basically has a clean sheet to work with. No bad habits. No bad coaching. Of course, he probably has little to no clue as well.

For an investment, B list is as free a hit as you can get.

Go Catters

Watched the Recruit finale last night, anyone else thing Padraig looked like a different man? Has clearly been working hard already as had seemed to have dropped a fair bit of puppy fat already since the show stopped filming, was a lot slimmer in the face noticeably.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back