List Mgmt. Welcome to Geelong Padraig Lucey - Rookie Draft selection no. 49

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched Blitz at the start of 2013 (midway thru preseason) at training. Our ruck stocks right at that time were about where they are now.

Blicavs was alone on the Moorabool st wing and an assistant coach (?) was delivering boundary throw ins.
He was learning to judge the flight of the ball and to tap with left hand. The most basic of skills for a ruck.

In two years Blicavs has come a long way.

With Ottens (and Blitz helping ) this new Rookie has a great opportunity. I hope they looked for and found that " up for the contest" mongrel in him somewhere. Simpson has it, Mumford has it, Ottens had it. HMac not so much.

Good luck Paddy.

Just had a look at the video. Not much vision but looks like he can kick ok and seems mobile and athletic.
Yeah, didn't show a lot, but his skills looked pretty decent. Moves well for a guy of his size. Good base to build off.

"The Irish Cat"
With the Gaelic background and from what he did on the Recruit looks a perfect choice for a Category B Rookie
Skills look solid enough , Otto to work his magic on the hitouts - get a preseason into him and see how he looks.
Above all he is now a Cat , let's get around him :thumbsu:

Yeah, didn't show a lot, but his skills looked pretty decent. Moves well for a guy of his size. Good base to build off.
I saw a couple of his games for Ireland during the International Cup last month. Seemed to be more of a natural out of the square full forward capable of marking on the lead or in the pack. Generally a decent kick but had a shocker in the GF against PNG where he kicked poorly. Did do some rucking but Ireland had a better ruckman who did the bulk of the work. He kicked 5 goals against an impressive Nauru team and 6 goals against a French side that was not so strong in the tournament, finishing with 14 goals from the 5 games over 13 days.

I think you can see the video of the GF match online here - http://www.afl.com.au/global/aflic14/streaming

It's offical...

"When I initially met him (Wells) there wasn't much talk of coming to Geelong, it was just to have a trial. When I got down here - it just felt right. Everyone was really friendly, I just felt right at home. It felt like a team I could really fit into. It's been excellent so far and I'm enjoying every minute."

"When I came down for the trial I think they saw that I had a combination of athleticism and could mark the ball and kick the ball very well for a big guy. Obviously I'm a long, long way from making AFL standard, but i think they see the determination in me to get there someday."

10658916_732432316793432_1657446004723006239_o.jpg

Just had a look at the video. Not much vision but looks like he can kick ok and seems mobile and athletic.

Im not sure he really knows a lot about Geelong but it will grow on him im sure.I hope we put extra effort into his education , not just his football skills. One of the first thing they should be showing him is the new Jim Stynes statue and perhaps introducing him to as many of the Irish AFL guys as possible. And Irish people up in Melb? What there is nobody else Irish in Geelong. Really?

But he look quite good by foot Id have thought. The key will be his marking over head. There were some obvious comparisons with Blitz but some differences as well. Blitz was a run hardened fit athlete , Irish not so much. He looks a bit soft in the face. But kicking and mobility looks good , when we are talking about a 204 guy.

The test for him will he be come summer, and can he he put the work in to get really fit and strong. Great role model for him in Blitz , great club with an opening if he works hard , but Im always a little sus on the go home factor when it gets tough. 2 years playing VFL is not what they all imagine it will be like.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im not sure he really knows a lot about Geelong but it will grow on him im sure.I hope we put extra effort into his education , not just his football skills. One of the first thing they should be showing him is the new Jim Stynes statue and perhaps introducing him to as many of the Irish AFL guys as possible. And Irish people up in Melb? What there is nobody else Irish in Geelong. Really?

But he look quite good by foot Id have thought. The key will be his marking over head. There were some obvious comparisons with Blitz but some differences as well. Blitz was a run hardened fit athlete , Irish not so much. He looks a bit soft in the face. But kicking and mobility looks good , when we are talking about a 204 guy.

The test for him will he be come summer, and can he he put the work in to get really fit and strong. Great role model for him in Blitz , great club with an opening if he works hard , but Im always a little sus on the go home factor when it gets tough. 2 years playing VFL is not what they all imagine it will be like.

I watched the first quarter of the Irish v New Guinea match where he took two strong marks inside 50, and brought another two to ground. I*t doesn't seem to be a weakness of his I am more focused on his actual ability to ruck.

I watched the first quarter of the Irish v New Guinea match where he took two strong marks inside 50, and brought another two to ground. I*t doesn't seem to be a weakness of his I am more focused on his actual ability to ruck.

Thanks 10l , have not seen that.

Yes , he will have another steep learning curve on ruck, just like Blitz. I have not seen what his spring is like either.
The one thing I like on the show was the grit he showed. He needs to spend summer working hard. I don't even know how long he has been in Aust. , how will he cope with heat etc.

Thanks 10l , have not seen that.

Yes , he will have another steep learning curve on ruck, just like Blitz. I have not seen what his spring is like either.
The one thing I like on the show was the grit he showed. He needs to spend summer working hard. I don't even know how long he has been in Aust. , how will he cope with heat etc.

At the extreme risk of stereotyping at least he will be : durable , able to fight and defenitely able to drink.
I hope we see more of number 1 ( having a durable ruck would be nice) although I do like a Ruck who gives it out , hope we only see the drink aspect on Wacky Wednesday following GF's

I watched The Recruit and only saw glimpses of Padraig
My first thoughts it was perhaps clutching at straws
This is one of those try for free deals which could work out well
Padraig is tall, mobile and co-ordinated which is plenty to work with.
The way the game is heading, mobility is exactly what you need in future ruckman
The day of the dinosaurs is over.
Sure he looks a little soft now
but a good preseason and he will turn that baby fat into muscle
It will take him a few seasons to learn to read the game tho
Fortunately he is young enough to get there.
I just hope he is a resilient as Jim Stynes was.

Padraig made me think about other ruck opportunities

Sim Bhullar.jpg

Sim Bhullar 7'5" 148kg Canadian
a bloke like this would be worth taking in the International rookie draft
You wouldn't have to worry about his running patterns

Better still, He come in a 3 for one deal..

tanveer sim bro.jpg

his younger brother Tanveer is 7'3" and growing

Padraig made me think about other ruck opportunities

View attachment 80853

Sim Bhullar 7'5" 148kg Canadian
a bloke like this would be worth taking in the International rookie draft
You wouldn't have to worry about his running patterns

Better still, He come in a 3 for one deal..

View attachment 80856

his younger brother Tanveer is 7'3" and growing
Wouldn't have to worry if he could leap, either. He'd just have to stand there and hit the ball. His opponent would have to take a packed lunch and a water bottle to get around him to get near the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back