News PAFC 2014 Membership Tally

Remove this Banner Ad

Has anyone here not received their membership package yet? I received my card a couple of months ago with a letter saying the pack would follow but it's April and nothing has showed up as of yet ...

I thought the letter said they would be delivered in April.

Given there has only been 1 I have no idea if they made money but I suspect so. But how they would, I have no idea unless there is a timer on the cash register and the cost of staff from a certain time is costed in. Originally the crows and Port were going to hold shows in the new indoor cricket centre between the back of the western and southern stands. That would have been easy to control costs and revenue. Not sure how they do it at the Magarey room. The whole idea was the clubs would get that income stream.

But the crows have dumped that idea too - pretty sure they did below for the swans game, which is a cut and paste for the GWS game
http://19thman.com.au/ticketing/match-day-info
Post match venues
The Magarey Room (level 3 - view map) and Lindsay Head Terrace (level 5 - view map) will be open post game with bar facilities.
Thanks as always REH. Obviously when we headed back to Alberton after games the money there 'flowed' into the PAFC's coffers but I have no idea what happens @ Adelaide Oval.

Given there has only been 1 I have no idea if they made money but I suspect so. But how they would, I have no idea unless there is a timer on the cash register and the cost of staff from a certain time is costed in. Originally the crows and Port were going to hold shows in the new indoor cricket centre between the back of the western and southern stands. That would have been easy to control costs and revenue. Not sure how they do it at the Magarey room. The whole idea was the clubs would get that income stream.

But the crows have dumped that idea too - pretty sure they did below for the swans game, which is a cut and paste for the GWS game
http://19thman.com.au/ticketing/match-day-info
Post match venues
The Magarey Room (level 3 - view map) and Lindsay Head Terrace (level 5 - view map) will be open post game with bar facilities.

nope, the crows post-game function for the swans game was at the cricket centre.

here's an account of how successful it was:

I've been very vocal about Trigg, it's time for a change and yesterday confirmed it.
"He was on 5AA during the week and sprouted along the lines that we would have a shed like venue at Adelaide oval and it would be deck out in our colours and it will be a gathering place for Crow members after a game.
How embarrassing... truly it was embarrassing being there. A cricket practise centre which had a plastic floor placed on top to protect it's surface. It rose up when you walked on it and had to be roped off for fear that someone would fall walking on it.
No toilets in the facility, bugger all tables in the facility, bugger all chairs in the facility,no entertainment, no colours anywhere, nowhere to buy food, no prizes or raffles and every step you took could be your last.

Coupled with that was a show up of around 200 people at most and we had Trigg get up and state "we've had trouble with the landlord and I promise you it will get better." ( sound familiar). Players did come back but even they wanted to get out as quickly as I did.

A new move has teething troubles but this was ridiculous. They have known about the move to AO for two years. Surely in that time some forward planning should have been done. They are paid big bucks to delegate someone the responsibility of making this facility work. It's the whole package and it's just another example of someone dropping the ball again.

If you want to go somewhere after the game the Lindsay head bar( southern stand looks out over Adelaide at least had atmosphere, entertainment and toilets.)

So much was just sheer incompetence.The new shed has lost me but so has this administration. Just another on my long list of how poorly we do things at the AFC at the moment.

Fair call. But it would need to be a team from scratch we can't have another team have to change. And off top of my head in the sanfl the only club that wouldn't need to change colours would be strut?

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk
Nah, no more franchise teams to hollow out the AFL competition!
The competition is unbalanced enough with State teams & genuine clubs all mixed in together!

The next team needs to be a genuine club, the Cows have already demonstrated that no history = no passionate supporter base + nothing to play for.

I'd love to see the AFL adopt a greater connection with the State based leagues, much like the Soccer in Europe.Relegation - 2 bottom sides in the AFL drop down to State level & 2 state teams get a Crack in the AFL.
Sure, they'd need support in the first 2 years to establish as a genuine AFL contender, so maybe they get a 2 year exemption from relegation.
Would inject much more interest back into State based teams.

The competition is unbalanced enough with State teams & genuine clubs all mixed in together!

The next team needs to be a genuine club, the Cows have already demonstrated that no history = no passionate supporter base + nothing to play for.

I'd love to see the AFL adopt a greater connection with the State based leagues, much like the Soccer in Europe.Relegation - 2 bottom sides in the AFL drop down to State level & 2 state teams get a Crack in the AFL.
Sure, they'd need support in the first 2 years to establish as a genuine AFL contender, so maybe they get a 2 year exemption from relegation.

I'm coming to the same conclusion. In EPL, a Derby supporting friend of mine tells me the biggest prize in the sport is the winner of the play off to move up from the second tier. They are showered with cash and concessions to make them competitive and it creates considerable interest.

Foxtel cup could be the promotion field?

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

I'm coming to the same conclusion. In EPL, a Derby supporting friend of mine tells me the biggest prize in the sport is the winner of the play off to move up from the second tier. They are showered with cash and concessions to make them competitive and it creates considerable interest.

It is the game that results in the ultimate winner of 3v6 and 4v5 series of the Football League Championship playoffs effectively wins £60+ million because of the TV monies and other commercial benefits they get by advancing to the EPL next season. They don't get it straight away. The loser of that game gets to keep the gate proceeds as a consolation prize. Whoever finishes 1st and 2nd in the Football League Championship get the same benefits but don't have to worry about winning that playoff game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_League_Championship_play-offs

It's a nice idea that might have been possible to build here if it took root back in the late 80s early 90s as the game was going national/professional.

One thing the EPL does to smooth out the transition - the huge money difference between the leagues is - as I understand it - if you get relegated you keep some of the Premier league money on tap for a season or so. So you don't immediately lose players and find yourself dropping really rapidly.

EPL/Euro soccer in general has "full free agency and unlimited cap", not to mention several sources of quality players in equivalent leagues, so you can pick up players from anywhere pretty quickly once you jump a level, that mobility has to be there or else all the quality just moves to another premier league level club whenever a side gets relegated. IMO a "cap and draft" model isn't very compatible with promotion/relegation systems because it restricts player mobility. It demands one premier competition underpinned by feeder/development leagues like the major US sports operate. Now add our very limited free agency in and it won't work as is. Maybe it could work if we went to full free agency + cap + draft - then players would be hopping around every year. Anyone really want that apart from the AFLPA ?

Doing that would be detrimental to the game.
The AFL is trying to(I believe so) create a more even competition. Whether their methods are successful or will be remains to be seen and I'm sure much discussion can be had.

But if you look at most European soccer leagues, they are dominated by a handful of elite clubs. The rest just make up the numbers.

England - Arsenal, Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea.
Spain - Barcelona, Real Madrid.
Germany - Bayern Munich
Greece - Olympiakos
Netherlands - Ajax, PSV, Feyenord
Portugal - Benfica, Porto
Turkey - Galatasary, Fenerbahce
Italy - Juventus

So based on that, I think we can safely say that the European soccer model doesn't work very well in creating an even, fair playing field. Of course you have other factors like oil rich Arab sheiks buying clubs and pouring tens of millions into them, and corruption and match fixing.

Would we have been able to turn things around so quickly and so dramatically, if such a system that exists in European soccer was in effect in the AFL?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If another two teams were to come in I'd put my money on a Tasmanian side and a third WA side. SA won't be getting SFA for a very long time.

I've seen WA3 thrown up on an increasing basis as some sort of logical inevitability.

But where is the interest and viability coming from? This isn't a KFC strategy meeting where they discuss entering a market to compete with McDonalds and Pizza Hut. We're talking about a living, breathing football club that requires at least 35000 rusted-on members and a further x-amount of thousands of supporters behind them who will engage intermittently (matchday tickets, merchandise, etc.) with the end result being fortnightly attendances of at least 30000 emotionally and financially invested people.

West Coast, Fremantle and the other AFL clubs have had the better part of 20-30 years to saturate the WA market. Any suggestion that a third team could be built from the ground-up and command a viable marketshare in direct competition with the status quo is as fanciful as the lay calls to wind us up and replace us with a generic composite team were circa 2011.

If raw population numbers and economic wealth equated to AFL club viability Brisbane and the Suns wouldn't be the sardines they are.

I've seen WA3 thrown up on an increasing basis as some sort of logical inevitability.

But where is the interest and viability coming from? This isn't a KFC strategy meeting where they discuss entering a market to compete with McDonalds and Pizza Hut. We're talking about a living, breathing football club that requires at least 35000 rusted-on members and a further x-amount of thousands of supporters behind them who will engage intermittently (matchday tickets, merchandise, etc.) with the end result being fortnightly attendances of at least 30000 emotionally and financially invested people.

West Coast, Fremantle and the other AFL clubs have had the better part of 20-30 years to saturate the WA market. Any suggestion that a third team could be built from the ground-up and command a viable marketshare in direct competition with the status quo is as fanciful as the lay calls to wind us up and replace us with a generic composite team were circa 2011.

If raw population numbers and economic wealth equated to AFL club viability Brisbane and the Suns wouldn't be the sardines they are.

You hit the nail on the head with the 35000 rusted on members comment. This would be hard to achieve without an existing historical club as a base, would any WAFL club make the grade? I would think not. Would 2 be able to co-exist as one? Tasmania looms as the next potential, or in the near future a regional fast growing area which hasn't a historical link to a local national football/rugby team yet, ie: the Cairns(hinterland included) area where the predicted population growth is immense by rural Australian standards and the Sunshine Coast with it's growing 'Mexican' retiree population. Personally I think any more new teams and the competition is in danger of overextending to breaking point

Tasmania still seems like the logical choice to me. Their token support for Hawthorn would disappear the moment they got their own team, put them up in a boutique, clean stadium financed by the Tasmanian Government and bob's your uncle, there are your 15-20K rusted on supporters united by passion for a game they've been hooked on for 100 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back