Universal Love PAFC International

Remove this Banner Ad

I've got word that Australia Plus will be taking up coverage of the 2015 season in Thailand (at least). I presume that you can access from HK, Lockhart Road? At this stage, I don't know if it will be the 4 games per week scenario, same as the Australian Network before hand, but fingers crossed it will be this at a minimum.

I also am interested in becoming an International member, however I have sent an email to the club, via the Membership page link, asking whether the "stream" available can be used on smart tv (as opposed to tablet, pc or phone). No reply as of yet, so will give it a few more days before trying again.

I have just bought a bar in Pattaya (yeah I know - more the fool me haha), and with the locals and international visitors alike, I suspect I will have a chance of converting quite a few "newbies" into PAFC supporters this year and beyond.

Cheers

Like the suggestions by others for Slingbox, but I use an android tablet (I use the ASUS Transformer series of tablets) with a micro HDMI port and plug that in to the tv with a HDMI cable and that works fine.

Otherwise possibly stream to the smart tv via DLNA. Haven't tried it personally, but should work with most stock Android DLNA apps.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/po...strengthen-links/story-fndv8s6g-1227240526437
Port Adelaide steps up its Chinese ambitions and poaches State government adviser to strengthen links
PORT Adelaide is pushing harder into China with the Power aiming to be the first AFL team to play for premiership points in Asia as soon as 2017.

And the club’s campaign to win community and corporate partnerships in China has secured a major coup with the poaching of Premier Jay Weatherill’s senior international adviser, Andrew Hunter.
A former leading volleyball player with a strong understanding of the China market, Hunter will join Port Adelaide as the general manager of the Power Community Limited arm on March 23.
The Power’s bold ambition to play a NAB Challenge game in China this year fell apart only by the club and AFL not finding a suitable venue. But Port Adelaide president David Koch’s grand vision of the Power developing its international profile in China has stepped up rather than been dented by this year’s setback.
More ...
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/po...strengthen-links/story-fndv8s6g-1227240526437
upload_2015-2-26_20-7-53.png
Port Adelaide’s Andrew Hunter is to play a big part in the Power's push to China.

Port Adelaide steps up its Chinese ambitions and poaches State government adviser to strengthen links
PORT Adelaide is pushing harder into China with the Power aiming to be the first AFL team to play for premiership points in Asia as soon as 2017.

And the club’s campaign to win community and corporate partnerships in China has secured a major coup with the poaching of Premier Jay Weatherill’s senior international adviser, Andrew Hunter.
A former leading volleyball player with a strong understanding of the China market, Hunter will join Port Adelaide as the general manager of the Power Community Limited arm on March 23.
The Power’s bold ambition to play a NAB Challenge game in China this year fell apart only by the club and AFL not finding a suitable venue. But Port Adelaide president David Koch’s grand vision of the Power developing its international profile in China has stepped up rather than been dented by this year’s setback.
More ...
View attachment 112261
Port Adelaide’s Andrew Hunter is to play a big part in the Power's push to China.

Such an innovative initiative by the club - Can't wait to see where this takes us!

aaa.jpg

Australia Plus to Broadcast AFL Matches in Asia/Pacific

The AFL is pleased to announce that Australia Plus has assumed the rights to broadcast matches in the Asia/Pacific region from Australia Network.

Under the new arrangement that covers key markets across the Asia/Pacific region, Australia Plus will broadcast six matches per week during the Toyota AFL Premiership season, along with all matches in the Toyota AFL Finals Series. It will also broadcast a weekly highlights program across 28 weeks.

Patrick Emmett, Head of Television ABC International, said the reach of Australia Plus would be a great result for AFL fans outside of Australia.

"2015 is set to be the biggest year ever for AFL coverage in Asia and the Pacific with an additional 40 million people in the region having access to our weekly coverage on Australia Plus Television.

“This year we welcome new AFL fans across India, South Korea and Japan and look forward to bringing all the colour and excitement of the final series to Chinese audiences in the Shanghai region,” Emmett said.

Australia Plus will also broadcast live each of the 21 matches in the NAB Challenge that are being covered by Fox Footy.

Separately, one match will be shown on delay on Eurosport Asia/Pacific each week with a weekly highlights program also to be shown on Eurosport Asia/Pacific.

Key markets Australia Plus broadcast into include: Bangladesh; Cook Islands; Fiji; Guam; Hong Kong; India; Indonesia; Japan; Macau; Malaysia; Marshall Islands; Micronesia; Nauru; New Caledonia; Niue; Northern Marianas; Palau; Philippines; Papua New Guinea; Samoa; Singapore; Solomon Islands; South Korea; Sri Lanka; Thailand; Tonga; Vanuatu.

The AFL will continue to seek outcomes for those regions where AFL supporters cannot access the Australia Plus service and in the meantime encourages supporters in those markets to access all live matches via watchafl.afl.com.au.

About Australia Plus
In October 2014 ABC launched a new network across Asia and the Pacific – connecting Australia to business, travel and education interests in the region.
Australia Plus is a unique multi-platform media service delivered online, on mobile and through social media as well as via a new exclusive television service.

Australia Plus combines the strengths of a targeted international television service reaching more than 190 million people across Asia and the Pacific with an established and unique digital and social media network that is already engaging more than 2.3 million people a month in some of the world's largest markets. We now have over three million Facebook fans and a significant presence on Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, Google+, Sina Weibo, Soundcloud, Youku, QQ Video and We Chat.

And the bad news for us internationals - no broadcast of the West Coast v Port game at Norwood on March 8th.

Doubly bad for me, because I would have been able to watch this game on Sunday morning, before jumping on a plane back to Australia Sunday night. Thanks Dill.

More ...
View attachment 112261

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

And the bad news for us internationals - no broadcast of the West Coast v Port game at Norwood on March 8th. Doubly bad for me, because I would have been able to watch this game on Sunday morning, before jumping on a plane back to Australia Sunday night. Thanks Dill.
NAB Challenge games to be streamed live
February 27, 2015 4:07 PM
ALL OF this year's NAB Challenge games will now be shown live, with the AFL moving to ensure the six games not broadcast on Fox Footy will be available via live streaming on the competing clubs' websites and club apps.

The AFL announced on Friday that the six games not broadcast on Fox Footy could now be live-streamed after extensive work to repurpose AFL Media resources at the relevant venues.

The games that will be live streamed are:
* Brisbane Lions v St Kilda in Moreton Bay on Saturday, February 28, 3.10pm EST
* Adelaide v North Melbourne in Port Lincoln, Sunday, March 1, 4.10pm CDT
* GWS Giants v Gold Coast at Spotless Stadium, Saturday, March 7, 4.10pm EDT
* Port Adelaide v West Coast at Norwood Oval, Sunday, March 8, 4.10pm CDT
* Western Bulldogs v Melbourne at Eureka Stadium, Saturday, March 14, 4.10pm EDT
* Sydney Swans v Fremantle at Drummoyne Oval, Sunday, March 15, 4.10pm EDT.

For these six matches, AFL Media vision will be used in conjunction with Crocmedia radio commentary on live full-match streams.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-02-27/nab-challenge-games-to-be-streamed-live-

ALL OF this year's NAB Challenge games will now be shown live, with the AFL moving to ensure the six games not broadcast on Fox Footy will be available via live streaming on the competing clubs' websites and club apps.

The AFL announced on Friday that the six games not broadcast on Fox Footy could now be live-streamed after extensive work to repurpose AFL Media resources at the relevant venues.

* Western Bulldogs v Melbourne at Eureka Stadium, Saturday, March 14, 4.10pm EDT

For these six matches, AFL Media vision will be used in conjunction with Crocmedia radio commentary on live full-match streams.
Common sense prevails! I'm crediting Casual Keith and Kochie with this one, just because I can. :D

This doesn't make sense. Last year big promo of 18 games in 18 days, blah blah blah... obviously the midweek games got no people watching? Why wouldn't they do the same again this year? Scared to be competing against the CWC each day? cause 90% of the CWC games are crap anyway

I was watching George Megalogenis's series on Making Australia Great and he talked about the rise of Chinese immigration into Australia in modern times and how this was comparable back to the 1880s when Australia was an economic powerhouse.

He interviewed a range of former PM's and Treasurers and Bob Hawke reminded Australians of the role of Gough Whitlam in officially recognising China as well as the Labor delegation visit to China in 1971 while Whitlam was Leader of the Opposition. Hawke's view was that this has never been forgotten by the Chinese and is one of the reasons they look favourably upon Australia as a trading partner.

Bearing that in mind Lockhart Road maybe you should be handing out postcards of the pics of Gough in a traditional Port Adelaide guernsey. ;)

87925_39a007753e64315eba0356ed53c8b824.png

I was watching George Megalogenis's series on Making Australia Great and he talked about the rise Chinese immigration into Australia in modern times and how this was comparable back to the 1880s when Australia was an economic powerhouse.

He interviewed a range of former PM's and Treasurers and Bob Hawke reminded Australians of the role of Gough Whitlam in officially recognising China as well as the Labor delegation visit to China in 1971 while Whitlam was Leader of the Opposition. Hawke's view was that this has never been forgotten by the Chinese and is one of the reasons they look favourably upon Australia as a trading partner.

Bearing that in mind Lockhart Road maybe you should be handing out postcards of the pics of Gough in a traditional Port Adelaide guernsey. ;)

B0cqEvhCAAIk4Gd.jpg
Funnily enough, I immediately thought of Port when this came up!

Funnily enough, I immediately thought of Port when this came up!

Those black and white railroad tracks are well and truly laid down in my brain. Yours too it seems. :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Whitlams came back to China in 1976, and look what happened...

http://www.queenslandcountrylife.co...arthquake-reshaped-the-landscape/2715518.aspx

2101061.jpg

Peter Nicholson's famous Gough Whitlam "Did the Earth Move For You Too Dear" cartoon after the
Tangshan earthquake in 1976.

When Gough and Margaret Whitlam were caught up in an earthquake during a visit to China, a cartoonist took the opportunity to have some fun with the incident.

The Age cartoonist Peter Nicholson drew the Whitlams in bed. Gough turns to Margaret and says: "Did the earth move for you too, dear?"

Complaints about the cartoon's poor taste flooded in, but it gave the Whitlams a good chuckle.

Gough bought the original, framed it and hung it over the marital bed. The Whitlams had a sense of humour. And Gough was entirely at home with great tectonic shifts.

His government lasted only three years, but it was a political earthquake that reshaped the Australian landscape. It's an earthquake that reverberates to this day, for its achievements and its failures.

http://www.queenslandcountrylife.co...arthquake-reshaped-the-landscape/2715518.aspx

We've arrived !

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...on-says-senior-policeman-20150403-1me9gr.html

Sourcing figures from the Hong Kong Jockey Club, Ashton said that their statistics showed a slow but steady increase in betting on the AFL. The largest legal operation in the region, the HKJC handles just five per cent of the gambling market but mirrored wider activity and kept a close watch on changing betting habits.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...on-says-senior-policeman-20150403-1me9gr.html

I was watching George Megalogenis's series on Making Australia Great and he talked about the rise of Chinese immigration into Australia in modern times and how this was comparable back to the 1880s when Australia was an economic powerhouse.

87925_39a007753e64315eba0356ed53c8b824.png

George's fantastic 3 part TV doco was based on his equally fantastic book The Australian Moment - How we were made for these times published in 2012. When he was promoting the book he did the long interview on ABC radio's Conversation show - he talked about how at the 2007 Apec Conference in Sydney - then Chinese President Hu Jintao sort out Whitlam at an official function. George had spent over a decade in the Canberra Press Gallery in the 1980's and 90's and had seen Hawke and Keating up close and in operation. He said at that function it was the only time he had seen Hawke and Keating stand back and not get on the front foot and make themselves known to Hu because they knew the esteem Gough was held by the Chinese and knew that Hu didnt want to be disturbed whilst talking to Gough.

In the doco George said Gough was the first western leader to recognize the communist government. That's not accurate as Canadian PM Pierre Trudeau established official diplomatic relationship in late 1970 with China but Trudeau didnt visit until 1973, after Gough visited as both opposition leader and PM. Both Oz and Canada have deep strong diplomatic and trade relationships with China thanks in no small part to having very progressive leaders from that early 1970's period.

The Chinese have long memories and think and plan for the next couple of generations, not the next couple of months or couple of years like us westerners.

Last edited:
Hey everyone. This is going to be my first match "following" Port Adelaide. Does anyone know if there's anywhere I could watch the game online for free? It could be on demand, not necessarily live. I'm new to the game just trying to get used to it before I commit to an expensive subscription...

Hey everyone. This is going to be my first match "following" Port Adelaide. Does anyone know if there's anywhere I could watch the game online for free? It could be on demand, not necessarily live. I'm new to the game just trying to get used to it before I commit to an expensive subscription...

Great you joined.

The AFL site offers replays of the game on the website.
You'd need to get to it through an Australian proxy website, they are all pretty much the same.
Alternatively Google sport streams and some sites might pop up that stream live.

Only other option is to pay for a International streaming membership.

Great you joined.

The AFL site offers replays of the game on the website.
You'd need to get to it through an Australian proxy website, they are all pretty much the same.
Alternatively Google sport streams and some sites might pop up that stream live.

Only other option is to pay for a International streaming membership.

Thanks mate. At this stage I'm just getting to know the game as my knowledge is pretty basic, but if I do enjoy the game as much as I hope to, I know I'll end up paying for a subscription.

By the way, if you don't mind - any tips on what I should be looking for in this match? Best players, tactics from each side?

Thanks mate. At this stage I'm just getting to know the game as my knowledge is pretty basic, but if I do enjoy the game as much as I hope to, I know I'll end up paying for a subscription.

By the way, if you don't mind - any tips on what I should be looking for in this match? Best players, tactics from each side?

Ports best few
Wingard
Boak
Robbie Gray

Sydney
Lance "Buddy" Franklin
Parker
Kennedy

Port usually play quick football

Sydney play more conventional kicking accurately to their multi million dollar forwards line up

Both teams will be aiming for the grand final this year so an early win for either side is huge, should be a good game.

Welcome to the PAFC family!

There's a lot of tricky, interpretative rules for you to wrap your head around but once you get the gist of the game you'll love it.

If you want to watch it live private message me and there are ways we can help that, otherwise as mentioned above get an international live pass from the AFL. Then you can stream any game, any time legally.

For mine what you will see in this game. Sydney like to bottle the game up into a lot of ball ups/throw ins and make it extremely hard for the opposition to win a clean disposal away from those contests, if they win the contests they like to spread the ball around through handball to create space and then run super hard forward to create scoring opportunities. If they lose the clearances they try to use extra defensive numbers to create quick rebound out of defence allowing quick counter attacks.

For us we try to open the game up, we will try to beat them at their own game in the clearances, but after that we will see tactics that spread our players out around the ground to create run and open play. When moving the ball from defense you will see greater risk taking with dangerous kicks into the middle of the ground to try and open up attacking paths. Then when going forward you should see us trying desperately to get the ball deep in our forward half and then through weight of numbers coming forward, we will try to lock it in our half. Our game will rely a bit on our defensive pressure which almost unraveled Fremantle last week, We will play man on man at times but mostly will play a zone defence which allows us to close in on opponents and apply pressure to them quickly forcing errors in disposal which hopefully we turn into counter attacks.

I'd say a few things to watch out for are incredible snap goals, great off balance and out of position defensive spoils, fantastic tackles and shrugged tackles, pin point passing, super sharp hand balling around packs, a couple hard bumps, some sprint races for the ball and hopefully a high mark or two.

Also lastly make sure you tune in at least 10 mins before the start of the game so you can see the televised player intro and the fans sing "INXS - Never tear us apart" before the start.

If you do watch online wander into the game day thread in this forum and you can ask all your questions of the game with the other fans that are watching online. Remember though that things can get heated and over reactions are abundant in that thread during the heat of battle.

The longer you delay taking out an International Membership via the Club the less value you will receive.

The season cost is A$155 for which you get Global Pass for all live games and replays, and put +1 on PAFC's membership tally.

If you quickly send me a PM with your email address I'll put Ben the Brilliant on to you (PAFC Membership Manager) to set things up for you and you'll be swinging by the weekend ... provided you hesitate not.

Welcome on board! How did you find the game, and what made you want to support Port Adelaide?

Welcome to the PAFC family!

There's a lot of tricky, interpretative rules for you to wrap your head around but once you get the gist of the game you'll love it.

If you want to watch it live private message me and there are ways we can help that, otherwise as mentioned above get an international live pass from the AFL. Then you can stream any game, any time legally.

For mine what you will see in this game. Sydney like to bottle the game up into a lot of ball ups/throw ins and make it extremely hard for the opposition to win a clean disposal away from those contests, if they win the contests they like to spread the ball around through handball to create space and then run super hard forward to create scoring opportunities. If they lose the clearances they try to use extra defensive numbers to create quick rebound out of defence allowing quick counter attacks.

For us we try to open the game up, we will try to beat them at their own game in the clearances, but after that we will see tactics that spread our players out around the ground to create run and open play. When moving the ball from defense you will see greater risk taking with dangerous kicks into the middle of the ground to try and open up attacking paths. Then when going forward you should see us trying desperately to get the ball deep in our forward half and then through weight of numbers coming forward, we will try to lock it in our half. Our game will rely a bit on our defensive pressure which almost unraveled Fremantle last week, We will play man on man at times but mostly will play a zone defence which allows us to close in on opponents and apply pressure to them quickly forcing errors in disposal which hopefully we turn into counter attacks.

I'd say a few things to watch out for are incredible snap goals, great off balance and out of position defensive spoils, fantastic tackles and shrugged tackles, pin point passing, super sharp hand balling around packs, a couple hard bumps, some sprint races for the ball and hopefully a high mark or two.

Also lastly make sure you tune in at least 10 mins before the start of the game so you can see the televised player intro and the fans sing "INXS - Never tear us apart" before the start.

If you do watch online wander into the game day thread in this forum and you can ask all your questions of the game with the other fans that are watching online. Remember though that things can get heated and over reactions are abundant in that thread during the heat of battle.

I'm loving this forum so far, everybody has been so helpful and extremely informative! If all Port Adelaide fans are as nice as the bunch around here and those who have PM'd me, looks like I picked the right team :D

Thanks for all the information, it's a lot to process right now especially as I don't have a full grasp of the rules, mind you the tactics, but I love to have some info to guide my viewing - if I know what to look for in the game, it'll be easier to make sense of all the action.

The longer you delay taking out an International Membership via the Club the less value you will receive.

The season cost is A$155 for which you get Global Pass for all live games and replays, and put +1 on PAFC's membership tally.

If you quickly send me a PM with your email address I'll put Ben the Brilliant on to you (PAFC Membership Manager) to set things up for you and you'll be swinging by the weekend ... provided you hesitate not.

Thanks for that mate, but I'm sorry, what exactly does that PAFC membership mean?
Please bear in mind I'm a total newbie here, know very little about the game, just trying to get into it a bit more at this stage!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back