Universal Love PAFC International

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome on board! How did you find the game, and what made you want to support Port Adelaide?

Thank you!
Well, I am a total sports fanatic - so much that I abandoned my career as an Economist to work with sports instead (I was part of the 2014 FIFA World Cup organising committee and I'm now working for the Rio 2016 Olympic Games organising committee).

I'm mostly an association football (soccer) fanatic but my interest goes far beyond that. Recently I've really got into rugby league - I watched a St Helens game in England back in 2012, but only started following the Saints more closely in recent times - and I know it's a huge sport in Australia. One thing led to another and, also under the influence of my boss at the committee who is Australian, I've decided to check out the AFL, knowing it's also massive there.

The choice of Port Adelaide as my team was the advice of another Australian friend, who I know from a Liverpool FC forum. He was very enthusiastic about them and said 'they play the game the right way'. Well, I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to soccer so I thought I would appreciate a team that likes to attack and are easy on the eye also in the AFL. It seems like I made the right choice so far!

Last edited:
Thanks for that mate, but I'm sorry, what exactly does that PAFC membership mean?
Please bear in mind I'm a total newbie here, know very little about the game, just trying to get into it a bit more at this stage!
If you buy the Global Pass on its own on the AFL website in 2014 you paid A$139. This year you can buy it via the club of your choice and pay $155 which includes an International PAFC Membership which is non access (of course). So for a small extra you support your club financially - as the club splits the income with the AFL - and boost the membership tally +1 thereby helping the club with its profile and value to sponsors and partners.

Edit: Having read your post above I think we should have this exchange on the 'PAFC International' thread for the benefit of others in your situation, which sounds too interesting to restrict to this thread. Watch out for my post on that thread tomorrow. I'll tag you so you don't miss it.

Last edited:
Thank you!
Well, I am a total sports fanatic - so much that I abandoned my career as an Economist to work with sports instead (I was part of the 2014 FIFA World Cup organising committee and I'm now working for the Rio 2016 Olympic Games organising committee).

I'm mostly an association football (soccer) fanatic but my interest goes far beyond that. Recently I've really got into rugby league - I watched a St Helens game in England back in 2012, but only started following the Saints more closely in recent times - and I know it's a huge sport in Australia. One thing led to another and, also under the influence of my boss at the committee who is Australian, I've decided to check out the AFL, knowing it's also massive there.

The choice of Port Adelaide as my team was the advice of another Australian friend, who I know from a Liverpool FC forum. He was very enthusiastic about them and said 'they play the game the right way'. Well, I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to soccer so I thought I would appreciate a team that likes to attack and are easy on the eye also in the AFL. It seems like I made the right choice so far!
Welcome, brother of the Liverpool/Port Adelaide supporting fraternity :)

Thank you!

First things first diego, are you are Flamengo or a Fluminese fan? One of the things on my sporting bucket list is to one day go to a local derby at the Maracana. The Port Adelaide v Adelaide showdown games and set up has a similar rivalry. Or are you a black and white man of Vasco Da Gama??

Secondly - are there many Aussies that are consulting to or on the Rio OCOG?? Australian Olympic Committee president and IOC VP and #2 is John Coates is on the IOC Co-ordination Committee for Rio and Tokyo and was on it for London. He was a key player in getting Sydney's bid up and then made sure it ran so well. The IOC elected him as a member in 2001 as a result of Sydney's success and he has risen through the IOC ranks very quickly. He probably wants a few Aussies on the Rio OCOG.

Thirdly I have a mate who is an economist but he has been able to stay an economist and get highly involved in sports. He was chief economist at the governments export trading division, Austrade. He helped set up a Austrade Business Club for the Sydney Olympics, 2003 Rugby World Cup in Australia, 2007 World cup in France and the 2006 Commonwealth Games in Melbourne and the 2006 FIFA World Cup in Germany. He is always travelling to Brazil and Latin America. He traveled so much he called himself The Airport Economist and has written several books under that name. He is now an economics professor at Uni NSW, but our friends joke that he is just a marketing and salesmen with an economics degree who spends a lot of time in planes and at sporting events

Great that you chose Port Adelaide and your timing has been great for a new fan as we have made a revival after a few poor years.

The one simple fundamental rule of the game is, just like life, PLAY ON. If the umpire isnt sure if he should give a free (penalty) he calls play on, and when the layer has the ball he tries to play on and break free of his opponent.

In 2013 A Canadian guy by the name of Ogopogo joined Big Footy and started this thread on the introductions board which I posted in. He became a Gold Coast Suns fan because he could grow as the new team grew but he adopted Port as his second side thanks to the way we play and a bit of prompting from me.
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/new-afl-fan-from-canada.998715/

He is an ice hockey fan who was so taken by Australian Football that by the end of 2014 it overtook Ice Hockey as his favourite sport. I have just read your thread on the introductions board and it says you have an Aussie boss and are intrigued by other football codes. You probably have similar questions about the rules in general and history of the game and why we have 4 codes in Australia so to save time I will link you to some answers I gave Ogopogo the game and some long answers to his questions about the game and sport in Oz in general so here are some direct links to help you understand.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/new-afl-fan-from-canada.998715/page-3#post-27809187

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/new-afl-fan-from-canada.998715/page-5#post-27819325

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/new-afl-fan-from-canada.998715/page-5#post-27820921

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/new-afl-fan-from-canada.998715/page-5#post-27826701

And if that doesn't help then this might.

And whilst we might not have the samba beat, just like the Boss adopted, we can play our game and our fans as passionate as what the music of Brazil is.

Mate, there's so much to like in your post (soccer, hockey, economics, AFL, Springsteen, etc) I don't even know how to start a reply! So I'll go in parts:

First things first diego, are you are Flamengo or a Fluminese fan? One of the things on my sporting bucket list is to one day go to a local derby at the Maracana. The Port Adelaide v Adelaide showdown games and set up has a similar rivalry. Or are you a black and white man of Vasco Da Gama??

I'm a Flamengo fan mate. There's nothing like a Rio derby in a packed Maracanã stadium - been to many of them myself as I live just about a 10 minutes walk from the stadium. Would gladly show you around if you ever come to visit.

Secondly - are there many Aussies that are consulting to or on the Rio OCOG?? Australian Olympic Committee president and IOC VP and #2 is John Coates is on the IOC Co-ordination Committee for Rio and Tokyo and was on it for London. He was a key player in getting Sydney's bid up and then made sure it ran so well. The IOC elected him as a member in 2001 as a result of Sydney's success and he has risen through the IOC ranks very quickly. He probably wants a few Aussies on the Rio OCOG.

I don't know how many exactly but there are some Aussies here. My boss is one who has just arrived, and also a couple of other consultants have just been hired. I'd guess there's about 10 of them here but it could be more, I'm not sure. Most of them started their Olympic careers in Sydney 2000, I believe (I know my boss did).

Thirdly I have a mate who is an economist but he has been able to stay an economist and get highly involved in sports. He was chief economist at the governments export trading division, Austrade. He helped set up a Austrade Business Club for the Sydney Olympics, 2003 Rugby World Cup in Australia, 2007 World cup in France and the 2006 Commonwealth Games in Melbourne and the 2006 FIFA World Cup in Germany. He is always travelling to Brazil and Latin America. He traveled so much he called himself The Airport Economist and has written several books under that name. He is now an economics professor at Uni NSW, but our friends joke that he is just a marketing and salesmen with an economics degree who spends a lot of time in planes and at sporting events

That's amazing mate. I hope I can have a career of that sort one day. I still love economics so I don't want to simply abandon that for the rest of my life, ideally I would be able to use my expertise in the sports field too. My plans for after the Rio 2016 games are to move to England and do a MBA in Football Industries at the University of Liverpool. I've already applied and been accepted before but couldn't go at the time, and now I plan to go through with it after the games. There's much that my background in economics can help me in that field, I hope. After the MBA, I plan to send my CV to all over the world and work wherever I'm wanted. I'd love to get a job in England but I don't want to close the doors to any options, I'm very open minded and just want to have an international experience. My soon-to-be-wife is also looking forward to it.

Great that you chose Port Adelaide and your timing has been great for a new fan as we have made a revival after a few poor years.

The one simple fundamental rule of the game is, just like life, PLAY ON. If the umpire isnt sure if he should give a free (penalty) he calls play on, and when the layer has the ball he tries to play on and break free of his opponent.

One of the things that made me want to check out Australian footy was being told that the action is non-stop. I was talking to my boss about how I prefer rugby league to union because it is more of a free flowing game and she said I'd love aussie rules then.

In 2013 A Canadian guy by the name of Ogopogo joined Big Footy and started this thread on the introductions board which I posted in. He became a Gold Coast Suns fan because he could grow as the new team grew but he adopted Port as his second side thanks to the way we play and a bit of prompting from me.
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/new-afl-fan-from-canada.998715/

He is an ice hockey fan who was so taken by Australian Football that by the end of 2014 it overtook Ice Hockey as his favourite sport. I have just read your thread on the introductions board and it says you have an Aussie boss and are intrigued by other football codes. You probably have similar questions about the rules in general and history of the game and why we have 4 codes in Australia so to save time I will link you to some answers I gave Ogopogo the game and some long answers to his questions about the game and sport in Oz in general so here are some direct links to help you understand.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/new-afl-fan-from-canada.998715/page-3#post-27809187

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/new-afl-fan-from-canada.998715/page-5#post-27819325

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/new-afl-fan-from-canada.998715/page-5#post-27820921

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/new-afl-fan-from-canada.998715/page-5#post-27826701

And if that doesn't help then this might.

That's amazing, thanks. I'll read that carefully when I have the time.

And whilst we might not have the samba beat, just like the Boss adopted, we can play our game and our fans as passionate as what the music of Brazil is.

I was at his Rock in Rio concert mate. One of the best I've ever seen. He's called the Boss for a reason! Even people who were there because of John Mayer who played before him had to admit he was by far the best artist that night.

Mate, there's so much to like in your post (soccer, hockey, economics, AFL, Springsteen, etc) I don't even know how to start a reply! So I'll go in parts:

I'm a Flamengo fan mate. There's nothing like a Rio derby in a packed Maracanã stadium - been to many of them myself as I live just about a 10 minutes walk from the stadium. Would gladly show you around if you ever come to visit.

I don't know how many exactly but there are some Aussies here. My boss is one who has just arrived, and also a couple of other consultants have just been hired. I'd guess there's about 10 of them here but it could be more, I'm not sure. Most of them started their Olympic careers in Sydney 2000, I believe (I know my boss did).

That's amazing mate. I hope I can have a career of that sort one day. I still love economics so I don't want to simply abandon that for the rest of my life, ideally I would be able to use my expertise in the sports field too. My plans for after the Rio 2016 games are to move to England and do a MBA in Football Industries at the University of Liverpool. I've already applied and been accepted before but couldn't go at the time, and now I plan to go through with it after the games. There's much that my background in economics can help me in that field, I hope. After the MBA, I plan to send my CV to all over the world and work wherever I'm wanted. I'd love to get a job in England but I don't want to close the doors to any options, I'm very open minded and just want to have an international experience. My soon-to-be-wife is also looking forward to it.

One of the things that made me want to check out Australian footy was being told that the action is non-stop. I was talking to my boss about how I prefer rugby league to union because it is more of a free flowing game and she said I'd love aussie rules then.

I was at his Rock in Rio concert mate. One of the best I've ever seen. He's called the Boss for a reason! Even people who were there because of John Mayer who played before him had to admit he was by far the best artist that night.

Welcome to BigFooty diegodcg! Just two years ago, I was a brand-new footy fan as REH has mentioned and it has been a wonderful ride. This has become my favourite sport and I will be setting an alarm for 3am local time tonight so I can get up and watch the Suns play St. Kilda!

REH has been a fantastic resource to introduce a new fan to the game so, check out the links he provides, there is some great stuff in there! Port is a very entertaining team to watch so, you selected well in your choice of clubs. The video I give to my Canadian friends to check out is the one below. I have gotten several people interested in the game from this video so, take a look, I think you will like it:

Welcome to BigFooty diegodcg! Just two years ago, I was a brand-new footy fan as REH has mentioned and it has been a wonderful ride. This has become my favourite sport and I will be setting an alarm for 3am local time tonight so I can get up and watch the Suns play St. Kilda!

REH has been a fantastic resource to introduce a new fan to the game so, check out the links he provides, there is some great stuff in there! Port is a very entertaining team to watch so, you selected well in your choice of clubs. The video I give to my Canadian friends to check out is the one below. I have gotten several people interested in the game from this video so, take a look, I think you will like it:

Thanks for the video mate, will check it out. And honestly I'm not expecting aussie rules to overcome my passion for soccer but... I'm always open to be surprised! I've certainly enjoyed what I've seen of it so far.

Thanks for the video mate, will check it out. And honestly I'm not expecting aussie rules to overcome my passion for soccer but... I'm always open to be surprised! I've certainly enjoyed what I've seen of it so far.
In 2 years time once you are upto scratch with all the rules and nuances of the game (and you haven't broken your computer screen from some of the umpiring decisions) you will wonder why you loved soccer so much in the first place.
Welcome aboard, I am a little jealous that someone from the other side is just finding AFL. It would be like being a kid again for me and falling in love all over again.

I didn't think it would overtake hockey for me either...funny how life changes sometimes. Enjoy!

If I was to compare the two, soccer would be like a sword fight - life or death hanging on one strike penetrating a defence.

Australian Rules is like a boxing match - two teams slugging it out and trading blows with the crowd cheering each one.

You'll never get the elation of the winning goal in extra time unless we're coming back from 6 goals down in the third quarter (which rarely happens) but you won't get the injustice of dominating the play and copping a goal on the counter either.

Thanks again for all the welcomes and positive words. I'm very excited. I just told my boss I'm picking Port Adelaide and she told me to support Carlton instead! :confused:

Well, anyway. I checked the time difference and noticed that the PAFC game tomorrow starts at 6:40AM here (-12 hours and a half in comparison to Port Adelaide's time!) That's pretty early for a Saturday but I'll try to get up in time.
Once upon a time what we now call AFL was a more static game, however in recent times it has been influenced by FA tactics, in particular zoning.

If at times the game looks like an under 10 soccer (FA) match where most players are near the ball, try and look deeper and you'll see that most are in designated zones covering opposition players or areas where the ball could spill to.
The workrate nowadays equals or surpasses soccer's and given the size of the players that is impressive.

Wrt tactics its not too different. See ball, get ball, give ball to someone in a better position to set up a forward move.

Wrt who Port plays like nowadays, probably AC Milan in the Van Basten days. Predominantly an attacking side with a strong defence.

Via another thread ...

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...1-adelaide-oval.1092463/page-21#post-37869673

...we have not only a new poster in diegodcg but a fresh convert to Australian Football.

He tells his story from Rio in this post:

...I am a total sports fanatic - so much that I abandoned my career as an Economist to work with sports instead (I was part of the 2014 FIFA World Cup organising committee and I'm now working for the Rio 2016 Olympic Games organising committee).

Our new mate is on the cusp of taking out PAFC International Membership, and I've offered to make it simple for him by putting him in direct touch with Membership Ben at Alberton.
This applies to anyone else out there in the international market with kosher motives.
Send me a PM with your email address and I'll do the rest.

I can see a big drive coming from the Club re International Memberships as we nudge 60,000 ... and continuing into 2016 ... 2017 ...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

diego I will respond in full tomorrow, but we might have to get your posts and our replies put into a more dedicated thread. Ford Fairlane and other moderators, should we move this content into the PAFC International thread or maybe start up a Port goes Brazilian thread??

But before then let me give you a warning about us Aussies - if you say something like "Would gladly show you around if you ever come to visit" or "if you come over you can stay we me" - we will take you up on it and probably give you no warning that we are taking up your offer until we land on your door step. Like you have many more questions, I have more for you especially explaining the song the Boss sang in Portuguese Sociedade Alternativa and singer and writer Raul Seixas, but lets do that when these posts are moved to the correct thread.

diego I will respond in full tomorrow, but we might have to get your posts and our replies put into a more dedicated thread. Ford Fairlane and other moderators, should we move this content into the PAFC International thread or maybe start up a Port goes Brazilian thread??

But before then let me give you a warning about us Aussies - if you say something like "Would gladly show you around if you ever come to visit" or "if you come over you can stay we me" - we will take you up on it and probably give you no warning that we are taking up your offer until we land on your door step. Like you have many more questions, I have more for you especially explaining the song the Boss sang in Portuguese Sociedade Alternativa and singer and writer Raul Seixas, but lets do that when these posts are moved to the correct thread.

I'll go Brazilian.

#waxonwaxoff

diego.... far out man.... I thought he was some satanic dude with the username diegod.

Lockhart Road has already tagged me in the PAFC International thread if you want to continue that discussion there!
Apologies to the other posters if I've made this thread go a bit off-topic.

Haha and I mean it when I say I'd be glad to have you over! I've made many friends on internet forums before, although never met one of the Aussies in person :p I'm a Raul Seixas fan so I'll be happy to discuss that as well. :)

diego.... far out man.... I thought he was some satanic dude with the username diegod.

I had never noticed my username (and my email is diegodcg@... as well) starts with "die god" :eek: I'm not religious at all but that was not the intention. Haha. Just my first name + initials.

Welcome aboard diego and I did lol when RussellEbertHandball posted he would respond in full tomorrow. Block tomorrow out in your schedule. :p

Lockhart Road has already tagged me in the PAFC International thread if you want to continue that discussion there!
Apologies to the other posters if I've made this thread go a bit off-topic.

Haha and I mean it when I say I'd be glad to have you over! I've made many friends on internet forums before, although never met one of the Aussies in person :p I'm a Raul Seixas fan so I'll be happy to discuss that as well. :)
Ok once the mods move things then we will continue. Have to do a few things before I head off early for a few pre game things the club is doing. It must be midnight there. You need to get some sleep before 6.40am game start.

I dont know if you have solved your streaming issues but try vipbox.com. I have watched sport from around the world on there.

Ok once the mods move things then we will continue. Have to do a few things before I head off early for a few pre game things the club is doing. It must be midnight there. You need to get some sleep before 6.40am game start.

I dont know if you have solved your streaming issues but try vipbox.com. I have watched sport from around the world on there.
Cheers and it's very good advice actually, it's nearly 1AM here, I'm going to bed. Haha

Well that first game did not turn out very good, did it? I had to stop watching in the middle of the 3rd quarter so I missed some of the action but seeing the score now, it doesn't look like I missed that much.

My first impressions of the game were positive, but since I wanted PAFC to win on "my" first game, it was a bit frustrating. It seems to me that Sydney are not a flashy or spectacular team but very committed and (at least against us) extremely clinical. The number of turnovers from PAFC was disappointing - I wonder how many of those were forced by Sydney's strong defensive game as I'm inclined to believe the opposition deserves credit for that. PAFC looked like Liverpool FC on a bad day at times - had the possession but could do very little with it.

Still have absolutely no idea about positions or even the players from each side - getting up at 6:40AM isn't easy so I was a bit sleepy at times.

In the end I decided to get a weekly subscription, I know if I end up subscribing for the full year later it will have been a waste of money but I needed to see the service they provide first - one small annoying thing being that the video doesn't seem to work properly on my smart tv when I try to play it on fullscreen (works perfectly on my notebook, but I obviously prefer to watch it on my large tv so I'll try to sort that out later).

Look forward to seeing you trying to make some sense of the game for me if possible :D

Looks like I picked the best possible game from last year - I paused the video a while ago and resumed watching now. Currently only 12 mins into the 1st quarter and it is 43-0 already.

Which brings me to the following question, if I may ask another one: at what point does the score difference starts to be too much? I mean, what is the points difference that fans and players usually start thinking "yeah, we've lost it"?

In soccer, if your team concedes a goal, you think "come on lads, we can still win". You go 2 goals down, you are very worried but still have some hope. 3 goals down, however, is nearly certain defeat (stuff like that (link) being very rare).

I started asking myself that seeing Richmond go 43 points down still in the first quarter. Was it pretty much game over by then?

Looks like I picked the best possible game from last year - I paused the video a while ago and resumed watching now. Currently only 12 mins into the 1st quarter and it is 43-0 already.

Which brings me to the following question, if I may ask another one: at what point does the score difference starts to be too much? I mean, what is the points difference that fans and players usually start thinking "yeah, we've lost it"?

In soccer, if your team concedes a goal, you think "come on lads, we can still win". You go 2 goals down, you are very worried but still have some hope. 3 goals down, however, is nearly certain defeat (stuff like that (link) being very rare).

I started asking myself that seeing Richmond go 43 points down still in the first quarter. Was it pretty much game over by then?

Generally speaking, under 30 points is manageable (kick a few goals in a row and you are right back into it), over 30 points is getting tougher but teams semi regularly come from that far back to win games. Once you get to about 45-50 points, pretty well no chance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back