Universal Love PAFC International

Remove this Banner Ad

diegodcg - think Germany, Italy or Argentina when you see Sydney play. Their defence and mid field is ruthlessly efficient with competent forwards. Like those 3 national teams have occasionally had absolute star strikers - Sydney have recruited Franklin and Tippett over the last 3 years - their fundamental philosophy is to play a hard grinding game and are happy to strangle their opponents.

Last week Sydney were 41 pts down late in the 3rd quarter and won. 10 goals or 60 points is usually the time you draw a line and say the game is over. In 118 seasons of AFL only 3 sides have come back and won when they were 60 points down

In 118 seasons of AFL only 3 sides have come back and won when they were 60 points down

I'd love to watch one of those games! I've googled it and found one of those three instances in which teams came back from 60+ points and won the game to be Essendon v Kangaroos in 2001. There are some highlights on youtube.

I'd love to watch one of those games! I've googled it and found one of those three instances in which teams came back from 60+ points and won the game to be Essendon v Kangaroos in 2001. There are some highlights on youtube.

That Essendon win from behind is one of the greatest games I have ever seen played - unless you like boring grinding defence. The final score was 27.9 = 171 to 25.9 = 159. In soccer terms it would be like a team being 0-4 down after 20-25 minutes but end up winning 8-7.

But that Essendon win in Rd 16 - of 22 rounds before finals - in 2001 and in my opinion cost them the 2001 premiership because the effort to win was so great players picked up injuries that saw them run out of gas in the second half of the 2001 grand final.

Essendon went 21-1 in 2000 and then won their 3 finals and premiership. In 2001 they were 13-2 before this game and went to 14-2. But went 3-3 after that. Won their first, only just won their second final and in the grand final were in front by 2 goals at half time but had no petrol in the tank for the second half.

Watching this game is like watching Brazil play Ghana - jogo bonito.

Another game related question if I may.

What is the normal kicking range of AFL players? I'm pretty sure some long range spectacular goals may happen once in a while but there must be a limit from where most players won't attempt a kick or something like that? Would it be somewhere around the 50 line? I'm asking that so I have a better idea of what to expect from players and kicks in certain areas of the pitch.

Every AFL player should be able to pinpoint a kick from 40 meters. Most should be able to get 50 meters although as you extend the range you lose accuracy. Elite kicks can score goals from 60 meters out. Longest kicks at Port Adelaide are Hamish "Hammer" Hartlett and Matthew Broadbent.

Here's two of Hammer's finest from long range.

That Essendon win from behind is one of the greatest games I have ever seen played - unless you like boring grinding defence. The final score was 27.9 = 171 to 25.9 = 159. In soccer terms it would be like a team being 0-4 down after 20-25 minutes but end up winning 8-7.

But that Essendon win in Rd 16 - of 22 rounds before finals - in 2001 and in my opinion cost them the 2001 premiership because the effort to win was so great players picked up injuries that saw them run out of gas in the second half of the 2001 grand final.

Essendon went 21-1 in 2000 and then won their 3 finals and premiership. In 2001 they were 13-2 before this game and went to 14-2. But went 3-3 after that. Won their first, only just won their second final and in the grand final were in front by 2 goals at half time but had no petrol in the tank for the second half.

Watching this game is like watching Brazil play Ghana - jogo bonito.
Just watched a 40 min video from that game on youtube. Absolutely superb. The quality of the kicking was insane.

Every AFL player should be able to pinpoint a kick from 40 meters. Most should be able to get 50 meters although as you extend the range you lose accuracy. Elite kicks can score goals from 60 meters out. Longest kicks at Port Adelaide are Hamish "Hammer" Hartlett and Matthew Broadbent.

Here's two of Hammer's finest from long range.

Thanks mate. Two great kicks that.

I have Watch AFL subscription for a week so I am considering watching one of the games from this weekend. Were there any particularly good matches this round? Please don't tell me the score, just point me in the right direction!

Just watched a 40 min video from that game on youtube. Absolutely superb. The quality of the kicking was insane.

Thanks mate. Two great kicks that.

I have Watch AFL subscription for a week so I am considering watching one of the games from this weekend. Were there any particularly good matches this round? Please don't tell me the score, just point me in the right direction!

Essendon Hawthorn is worth a gander.

Not a great shot but there was one Chinese flag in the March from the Mall Lockhart Road

View attachment 124175

I understand there were 50 Chinese students taking part in the March, and that the March was only one element of the 'PAFC Experience' afforded to them on the day.

The 50+ students were this week's selection of 3,500+ Chinese students in SA being educated in AFL and assimilated into local lifestyle whilst they are studying overseas.

This is part of the SA end of the club's 'China Strategy' that will become bigger and more significant through the season - at both ends.

The University of SA will be up here with us for the 30 April event, having held discussions at Guangzhou universities the day before.

This, I believe, is a more sensible and progressive arrangement, certainly financially, than to go riding gangbusters into China wasting A$1,000,000 on an exhibition match in Shanghai as Melbourne and Brisbane did with the AFL's ignorant compliance in 2010 ... with zero follow-up.

There are none so stupid as those who assume the Chinese are stupid.

Got a couple of positive responses from Brazilian friends after I've posted Aussie rules stuff on my blog, facebook and (repeatedly) on twitter.

Who knows, I might extend the PAFC fan base here from 1 to 2 one of these days. In percentage terms it would be huge! :D

Got a couple of positive responses from Brazilian friends after I've posted Aussie rules stuff on my blog, facebook and (repeatedly) on twitter.

Who knows, I might extend the PAFC fan base here from 1 to 2 one of these days. In percentage terms it would be huge! :D

Have appreciated your special contribution to this board, and to this thread in particular. Many thanks.

It's unfortunate that the first game you saw 'live' with your weekly pass was the one in which we played the worst we've performed in two years, and the opposition played flag-winning shut-down football against us. The good thing is that this happened in Round 2 and not in a knock-out final. We have the rest of the year to get our main ruckman back from injury, get the half-dozen leading players who had their pre-season messed up back into form, and start putting wins on the premiership ladder.

This Sunday will be pivotal. We're playing a side that somehow manages to queer our pitch even though form-wise we should beat them. At least we are playing them away and can thus concentrate fully on playing and winning. However, the Docklands Stadium (Etihad) is not our favourite ground. If we can win, we'll be very happy. If we can win well, we'll be able to talk about the rest of 2015 with some confidence.

Have appreciated your special contribution to this board, and to this thread in particular. Many thanks.

It's unfortunate that the first game you saw 'live' with your weekly pass was the one in which we played the worst we've performed in two years, and the opposition played flag-winning shut-down football against us. The good thing is that this happened in Round 2 and not in a knock-out final. We have the rest of the year to get our main ruckman back from injury, get the half-dozen leading players who had their pre-season messed up back into form, and start putting wins on the premiership ladder.

This Sunday will be pivotal. We're playing a side that somehow manages to queer our pitch even though form-wise we should beat them. At least we are playing them away and can thus concentrate fully on playing and winning. However, the Docklands Stadium (Etihad) is not our favourite ground. If we can win, we'll be very happy. If we can win well, we'll be able to talk about the rest of 2015 with some confidence.

Thanks mate, I also appreciate how welcome I've been made to feel in this forum. I'm still thinking about the offer you made (subscription + membership), the only reason I am hesitating is that I'm supposed to be saving money for my wedding and the missus won't be very happy with me spending even more money on sports :D

Apologies for constantly asking questions, but what is a ruckman? Is that the player who contests the ball after the ref bounces it?
Anyway, I'm looking forward to the next game, hopefully a better result as well. I used the subscription to watch the last quarter of the 2013 Showdown in which PAFC won pretty late in the game and it was really amazing. Is Chad Wingard our best player? It looked like it in that game!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apologies for constantly asking questions, but what is a ruckman? Is that the player who contests the ball after the ref bounces it?

Yes.

I had to explain the concept to a Canadian co-worker today without the benefit of YouTube! Hard work, that. YouTube makes everything so much easier!

And keep asking- you come to the right place! More you ask the better. We're delighted to help. :)

Thanks mate, I also appreciate how welcome I've been made to feel in this forum. I'm still thinking about the offer you made (subscription + membership), the only reason I am hesitating is that I'm supposed to be saving money for my wedding and the missus won't be very happy with me spending even more money on sports :D

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the next game, hopefully a better result as well. I used the subscription to watch the last quarter of the 2013 Showdown in which PAFC won pretty late in the game and it was really amazing. Is Chad Wingard our best player? It looked like it in that game!

The ruckman is the tall bloke who goes for the tap when the umpire (not ref.!) bounces or throws up the ball. In some cases, such as Fremantle, the ruckman is not tall but excessively elongated (just under 7 feet).

Chad Wingard won Mark of the Year in 2014 and is one of our best; he is also one of the half-dozen injured (post-season knee surgery) for this pre-season fitness programme and not yet fully in form. Watch out when he is.

Thanks lads. And I have to remember, it's umpires, like in baseball, not referees as in soccer! :D

One thing that has impressed me in that game is certainly the fitness levels of the players. I saw comparisons of a Aussie rules pitch with soccer/rugby pitches and it is considerably larger. To cover that much ground really takes a lot of athleticism. Also, the fact it is an oval field is something very new to me. I had never watched a sport with that kind of field and it obviously has a big impact in the way the game is played.

I must admit the game still feels a bit strange to me. It is very different from anything I had watched up to now, in terms of football codes in particular. However, it is also exciting to be learning a new game.

In terms of the rules, I have a hard time figuring out why free kicks are or not awarded after a tackle. Sometimes they are, in others the umpire simply throws up the ball and I don't see much difference in most occasions, which makes me wonder if they are being consistent.

Thanks lads. And I have to remember, it's umpires, like in baseball, not referees as in soccer! :D

One thing that has impressed me in that game is certainly the fitness levels of the players. I saw comparisons of a Aussie rules pitch with soccer/rugby pitches and it is considerably larger. To cover that much ground really takes a lot of athleticism. Also, the fact it is an oval field is something very new to me. I had never watched a sport with that kind of field and it obviously has a big impact in the way the game is played.

I must admit the game still feels a bit strange to me. It is very different from anything I had watched up to now, in terms of football codes in particular. However, it is also exciting to be learning a new game.

In terms of the rules, I have a hard time figuring out why free kicks are or not awarded after a tackle. Sometimes they are, in others the umpire simply throws up the ball and I don't see much difference in most occasions, which makes me wonder if they are being consistent.
You have to go back and re read that post I linked to Ogopogo's thread that you liked. There is no written down rule or interpretation of what is considered prior opportunity and the laws are written "in the opinion " of the umpire so there are always so many inconsistencies. As I wrote in that post soccer has had 2 rule changes in 130 years. Plus the angle the umpire gets on means they miss frees. Thats why I said if in doubt remember PLAY ON!

You have to go back and re read that post I linked to Ogopogo's thread that you liked. There is no written down rule or interpretation of what is considered prior opportunity and the laws are written "in the opinion " of the umpire so there are always so many inconsistencies. As I wrote in that post soccer has had 2 re changes in 130 years. Plus the angle the umpire gets on means they miss frees. Thats why I said if in doubt remember PLAY ON!
Oh that's right, you did mention that in your post. It's too much information at the same time, I'm mixing things up. It was probably your post that even turned my attention to this fact in the first place. In the last videos that I've watched I've tried to predict the calls by the umpires and failed miserably in those cases. I do like that it is "play on" when in doubt though, instead of 10 players throwing abuse at the referee every time a questionable call is made as in soccer - too little is done to aid the job done by the officials, although it gets easier every day to expose their failures on tv. As a result, I've been on soccer, rugby union, rugby league, baseball and now aussie rules forums and in each and every one of them, officials are often seen as responsible for "ruining the game". I actually have a lot of sympathy for them (except Howard Webb :D)

In the old days if you dropped the ball whilst being tackled it was baaalll and a free to the opposition.
If it got knocked loose it was play on.
If the ball got stuck and didn't come out it was a ball up unless the player had enough time to get rid of it prior to the tackle and didn't.

Nowadays the first two are basically the same and as REH has said open for interpretation, but there has been a change to the third that confuses everyone week in week out.
The reason for the change is to open the game up as there used to be ball up after ball up.

Nowadays if the stoppage is caused by a player, such as dragging a ball that has come loose back into a pack on the ground, the opposition gets a free.

Oh that's right, you did mention that in your post. It's too much information at the same time, I'm mixing things up. It was probably your post that even turned my attention to this fact in the first place. In the last videos that I've watched I've tried to predict the calls by the umpires and failed miserably in those cases. I do like that it is "play on" when in doubt though, instead of 10 players throwing abuse at the referee every time a questionable call is made as in soccer - too little is done to aid the job done by the officials, although it gets easier every day to expose their failures on tv. As a result, I've been on soccer, rugby union, rugby league, baseball and now aussie rules forums and in each and every one of them, officials are often seen as responsible for "ruining the game". I actually have a lot of sympathy for them (except Howard Webb :D)
As I said in that long post about the rules and the game, its actually the AFL ruining the game more than the umpires. Dont get me wrong I have a problem with most of the umpires but the AFL is so worried about the look of the game that they every year are changing rules and interpretations of existing rules. Then the umpires coaches instruct them to make these silly changes and the umpires get the abuse from the crowds not the idiots that changed things. And as I said in the thread the abuse of the umpires then goes down the grades from semi professional state leagues to amateurs to junior levels. The AFL then comes out and says that everyone has to be more respectful of umpires yet they are completely oblivious that they are the ones who are causing all the confusion and therefore abuse from fans.

As I said in that long post about the rules and the game, its actually the AFL ruining the game more than the umpires. Dont get me wrong I have a problem with most of the umpires but the AFL is so worried about the look of the game that they every year are changing rules and interpretations of existing rules. Then the umpires coaches instruct them to make these silly changes and the umpires get the abuse from the crowds not the idiots that changed things. And as I said in the thread the abuse of the umpires then goes down the grades from semi professional state leagues to amateurs to junior levels. The AFL then comes out and says that everyone has to be more respectful of umpires yet they are completely oblivious that they are the ones who are causing all the confusion and therefore abuse from fans.
I totally see your point. I also have a problem with most refs in football - especially Brazilian football - but I see the wider context. It's not simply their fault either, even if for different reasons.

Welcome diegodcg :)

I've just caught up on this thread and your AFL/PAFC journey. I'm actually heading over to Rio De Janeiro in February next year, so I might have to get some tips from you.

As for when free kicks are awarded after tackles, you'll find that most casual fans are 1-2 years behind the rules due to the AFL's yearly rule changes. Even passionate and clued in fans would find it hard to predict the call anywhere near certainty.

This year, at least early in the year, it appears the rule is interpreted this way.

- If a player has possession of the ball and is tackled immediately stopping play, then a stoppage is created and the ball is thrown up.
- If a player has possession of the ball and is tackled immediately and the ball spills, then it is play on.

- If a player who has possession of the ball drops or bounces the ball whilst being tackled, then a free kick is awarded.
- If a player has possession of the ball and has a moment/opportunity to kick or handpass, but is tackled stopping play, then a free kick is awarded.
- If a player on the ground attempts to hold the ball in to cause a stoppage and is tackled, then a free kick is awarded.

Welcome diegodcg :)

I've just caught up on this thread and your AFL/PAFC journey. I'm actually heading over to Rio De Janeiro in February next year, so I might have to get some tips from you.

As for when free kicks are awarded after tackles, you'll find that most casual fans are 1-2 years behind the rules due to the AFL's yearly rule changes. Even passionate and clued in fans would find it hard to predict the call anywhere near certainty.

This year, at least early in the year, it appears the rule is interpreted this way.

- If a player has possession of the ball and is tackled immediately stopping play, then a stoppage is created and the ball is thrown up.
- If a player has possession of the ball and is tackled immediately and the ball spills, then it is play on.

- If a player who has possession of the ball drops or bounces the ball whilst being tackled, then a free kick is awarded.
- If a player has possession of the ball and has a moment/opportunity to kick or handpass, but is tackled stopping play, then a free kick is awarded.
- If a player on the ground attempts to hold the ball in to cause a stoppage and is tackled, then a free kick is awarded.

Thanks. If I may ask, what are you coming to Rio for? Work or vacation? I'd be glad to help if you need anything.

We beat Essendon the following week. At the time, the reigning premier Bombers had an air of invincibility about them, which was quite reinforced by the huge comeback win over the Kangaroos.

Our win against Essendon identified truly that we were a contender and is probably the most dominant team we've beaten (at the time of playing). It marked the beginning of our brilliant 2001-04. For these reasons, and many more (eg Brent Guerra slotting four goals) it stood for a long time as our greatest AFL win IMO.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back