Toast PAFC & the ANZAC Spirit – ANZAC Day Centenary Anniversary

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks LR: Yes that what my contact tells me. She is the great great niece of the Sidolis telling me of the link between the families
Keep well

Sampled her cooking? The Sidolis emigrated to Wales as well and became famous for their cakes and ice-cream.
Sidoli is also a name in Welsh rugby records, so football was in the blood.

A good drinking mate of mine (not long deceased) at the Foreign Correspondents' Club was of Italian/Welsh descent. His first name was David. His fellow singers in the choir called him Dai Mafia.

Herbert John Richard SIDOLI
Born 25 Mar 1884 in Fisherville, South Australia
Source: South Australian Births 1842 - 1906 Book: 324 Page: 169 District: Pt. Adelaide.
Note..Phillip Levi purchased sections 1104-1107 in the Hundred of Port Adelaide on May 1850 ... Part of Section 1104 was sub divided in 1852 and named Fisherville by Richard Fisher

Sensational to see this thread resurrected.

There was a doco on C2 some months back where a film crew followed the path of the Australian Light Horse charge, and eventual defeat of the enemy at Beersheba in Palestine ( now part of modern day Israel ) on the 31st of October 1917, which has been described as the last successful great cavalry charge.

There was a lot of historical pics ( backed up by footage from the movie The Lighthorsemen ), and it was those historical pics of Aussie blokes with bayonets drawn, walking their horses, trotting, and then charging at full gallop straight at enemy machine gun emplacements that got the hairs standing up on the back of my neck.

The railway station at Beersheba where the battle finished has virtually been left untouched in nearly 100 years, with 100's of bullet holes in the walls and the water tower.
It should be retained as is, as a monument to the bravery of those involved, but the narrator couldn't confirm if that would be the case.

As Lockhart Road has said - Lest We Forget

Sensational to see this thread resurrected.

There was a doco on C2 some months back where a film crew followed the path of the Australian Light Horse charge, and eventual defeat of the enemy at Beersheba in Palestine ( now part of modern day Israel ) on the 31st of October 1917, which has been described as the last successful great cavalry charge.

There was a lot of historical pics ( backed up by footage from the movie The Lighthorsemen ), and it was those historical pics of Aussie blokes with bayonets drawn, walking their horses, trotting, and then charging at full gallop straight at enemy machine gun emplacements that got the hairs standing up on the back of my neck.

The railway station at Beersheba where the battle finished has virtually been left untouched in nearly 100 years, with 100's of bullet holes in the walls and the water tower.
It should be retained as is, as a monument to the bravery of those involved, but the narrator couldn't confirm if that would be the case.

As Lockhart Road has said - Lest We Forget

My brother in-law (Tony Warren) Uncle Robert Joseph Young was in B Squadron 9th Regiment. My brother in law has some of his belongings including his gun etc that he wore in the charge. Family, say he was a shear giant of a man and astride a horse he was a towering figure. He returned from the war, to live on Yorke Peninsula and marry his childhood sweetheart. Also another family friend, her grandfather Dick Hattan was in the same 9th Light horse. B Squadront.

I have these 3 official 9th Light Horse photographs taken in Egypt.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

Last edited:
Just heard the news on ABC update. Great result for Port Adelaide and all those who worked so hard for this match. We Are Port Adelaide.

anzacday2_hero.jpg

Last edited:
Boy oh boy wowee, I bet Stephen Rowe will be thrilled by this news and will congratulate Port Adelaide from the top of tomorrow's AA show. :D

Last edited:
My holiday starts on the 27th. Thank God, I wouldn't mind missing most games but I wouldn't want to miss this one. Looks like I'll only miss one home game, assuming the next three will be away, home, away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A fantastic outcome for our club and as Rucci points out, highlights our strength at the AFL match planning table.

820143-cd6774e6-5d8b-11e4-9c68-d403f5dcc36d.jpg

Port scores Anzac Day blockbuster
Port Adelaide chief executive Keith Thomas tonight thanked the AFL for answering the club’s major request in its fixture submission.
“We are thrilled the AFL has provided us the opportunity to host such a significant game on such a significant day,” Thomas said.
“Port Adelaide has a long association with Anzac and we are humbled by the opportunity to be part of the AFL’s commemorations of the centenary of the Anzac story.
“We’ll be working with our partner, the RSL of SA, to ensure a respectful game day presentation for this significant milestone and our whole club is looking forward to being part of a special Anzac Day for the entire AFL community.
Port scores Anzac Day blockbuster

Sampled her cooking? The Sidolis emigrated to Wales as well and became famous for their cakes and ice-cream.
Sidoli is also a name in Welsh rugby records, so football was in the blood.

A good drinking mate of mine (not long deceased) at the Foreign Correspondents' Club was of Italian/Welsh descent. His first name was David. His fellow singers in the choir called him Dai Mafia.
Sidoli's ice cream is very popular in Wales and Robert Sidoli was a decent international standard player, but played during the dark years.

The atmosphere at this game will be unbelievable, can only hope it matches and outdoes the Victorian game early in the afternoon.

I for one, would love to see this game become a regular in a fixture. Port v hawks on Anzac Day. HUGE.

Lest We Forget.

What a high-status game! The rewards for the last two years are starting to come.
Would be great if it became a permanent part of the Anzac weekend, alternating between us and the Hawks hosting it.
How do our veteran community see this, or those with close connections to the veteran community? Is this what you were after?

I think that Lockhart Road posting this news as 'bullseye' tells you all you need to know. Port playing a home match on Anzac Day against the reigning premier in the coveted evening night slot. What more could you ask for? A great reward for the wheels that have been turning for some time now.

On a side note, Triggy must be wondering how easy is this? Hi we want to play a standout Anzac Day fixture. Oh you're Carlton, here you go, would you like a bag of cash with that?

Fantastic. Just rewards for our hard work and recognising the ANZAC spirit earlier this year with dignity and respect, and of course many years prior.

Well done PAFC, justifiably and rightfully hosting the ANZAC round here in SA.

:proud:

(Oh yeah, suck on that stupid - I know you reading)

The only other time Port has hosted a game on Anzac Day was against the Western Bulldogs at AAMI in 2004...

Here's hoping that's a good omen.

I am so very happy and proud of my club to learn of this much anticipated Great News.Congratulations to PAFC and thank you to everyone who have worked so hard to achieve this in order to be able to pay respect and honor the ANZAC spirit on the national stage.

Yes I heartily agree, Lock Hart Roads - "Bullseye!" - in a word sums it up.

We Will Remember Them.
LEST WE FORGET.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back