Food/Supplements Paleo Diet

Remove this Banner Ad

Says common sense, that's who, you reckon Ablett would rack up 40 touches after Pizza for breakfast & KFC drive-thru on the way?
Kevin Bartlett played over 400 games on a Friday night diet of fish and chips - in short yes, I think Ablett is a freak and he would be a gun no matter what healthy diet methodology he utilised.

After all, only doping matters eh? ;)

Kevin Bartlett played over 400 games on a Friday night diet of fish and chips - in short yes, I think Ablett is a freak and he would be a gun no matter what healthy diet methodology he utilised.

It is quite strange how you can argue that for afl footy the Macro's and type of foods you eat pre game is of such great importance yet for cycling diet is irrelevant. Just get those PED's in and you'll be fine.

Of course, but if his diet wasn't working, he wouldn't be able to perform at such an elite level, would he?

Paleo diet could give him an extra edge over other players, but its not "THE" reason why he dominates. I agree with Shupe, he would dominate (maybe a little less) regardless of what he ate.

It is quite strange how you can argue that for afl footy the Macro's and type of foods you eat pre game is of such great importance yet for cycling diet is irrelevant. Just get those PED's in and you'll be fine.
It's a bit of a contradiction, hey?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't really fall under 'paleo' because I get lazy especially on my carb load day when I usually eat nandos chips.

But so far here are the benefits I've had since started this way of eating:

- No heart palpitations at all (used to have at least one a fortnight despite being 'healthy' and active).
- Skin cleared up on my face, usually had at least one pimple somewhere on my face.
- Lost fat but maintained weight, so yeah i'm still just as skinny as before :(
- Never bloated anymore.
- My joints (no stoner) feel really oiled.
- When lifting or playing sport I feel like I have just as much energy as I did on high carb.
- I find my body doesn't crash as often.
- I get to eat more food.

Downsides:

- Pasta is cheaper than meat/veggies/nuts
- My body adapting so well to paleo that certain foods like pasta can cause me to feel really s**t, haven't had any in a month and a bit now though.

Yeah and my mate Mikey won our best and fairest every year while chucking last night's tequila up at every break. I'd like to see the km's Bartlett racked up per game compared to modern players.

I know you guys are probably just stirring up ablett, but you can't seriously believe a modern AFL player could perform at their peak on a diet of junk food in a sport that has become honed to the nth degree.

For starters Crowls would only have to give him a gentle tap in the guts and he'd be depositing that morning's KFC all over his shoes. Not that our Pinchy would ever do anything like that.

I don't really fall under 'paleo' because I get lazy especially on my carb load day when I usually eat nandos chips.

But so far here are the benefits I've had since started this way of eating:

- No heart palpitations at all (used to have at least one a fortnight despite being 'healthy' and active).
- Skin cleared up on my face, usually had at least one pimple somewhere on my face.
- Lost fat but maintained weight, so yeah i'm still just as skinny as before :(
- Never bloated anymore.
- My joints (no stoner) feel really oiled.
- When lifting or playing sport I feel like I have just as much energy as I did on high carb.
- I find my body doesn't crash as often.
- I get to eat more food.

Downsides:

- Pasta is cheaper than meat/veggies/nuts
- My body adapting so well to paleo that certain foods like pasta can cause me to feel really s**t, haven't had any in a month and a bit now though.

I've had similar results to this.

I drink a shitload of coffee though and it might be because I'm permanently dehydrated :p

Yeah and my mate Mikey won our best and fairest every year while chucking last night's tequila up at every break. I'd like to see the km's Bartlett racked up per game compared to modern players.

I know you guys are probably just stirring up ablett, but you can't seriously believe a modern AFL player could perform at their peak on a diet of junk food in a sport that has become honed to the nth degree.

For starters Crowls would only have to give him a gentle tap in the guts and he'd be depositing that morning's KFC all over his shoes. Not that our Pinchy would ever do anything like that.

Add Stephen Silvani to the Friday fish n chip diet.

While the team ate pasta at La Pochetta, he ate fish n chips in his hotel room alone.

Maybe Gaz eats sweet potato chips :D

I find white flour does that for me - I'd get tiny pimples on my chin the day after eating it.
Been avoiding it for some time and always have clear skin now.

Your analogy is very funny.
Firstly fish n chips back in Bartlett's days were deep fried in lard opposed to cottonseed oil n other junk oils used today.
Secondly Bartlett would not of had Maccas n KFC etc.. on the other nights leading upto a game.
The chips would've topped his glycogen stores.
I bet Bartlett's game day breakfast would of been fairly light too, steak n eggs was popular back then, not muesli/yogurt/powerades ers..

Of course Ablett's , and any other player for that matter, diet would effect his performance otherwise he would eat big macs before a game but there's a reason he doesn't.
Go put s**t oil n petrol in a Ferrari & see how well it performs.

Count me surprised that more AFL players aren't as meticulous as this with their diet and preparation. The "grab a footlong Subway and away we go" comment was particularly surprising.

It's surprising hey. You'd thing they'd be doing every single little thing to boost their performance and recovery through food, preparation and most importantly - sleep.

Like all other athletes and sports around the world, drugs legal or illegal would be used on some level. People live in a fantasy world where all athletes are clean..

Your analogy is very funny.
Firstly fish n chips back in Bartlett's days were deep fried in lard opposed to cottonseed oil n other junk oils used today.
Secondly Bartlett would not of had Maccas n KFC etc.. on the other nights leading upto a game.
The chips would've topped his glycogen stores.
No s**t. Regardless of personal opinion players still, by and large, carb-load before a game.

Some players are more meticulous in their preparation that others - little wonder the stars are more meticulous than Campbell Brown, who was never a chance of being a Rhodes Scholar.

Brad Johnson once called the club doctor at 2am to ask if he should take 1 or 2 aspirin, and would set the alarm every two hours to ice an injury (you can now find machines that now do this automatically, ditto applying periodic compression). Some players smoke in the off season. The differences in professionalism among the 780+ players in the AFL is quite large in some cases.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back