Food/Supplements Paleo Diet

Remove this Banner Ad

People claiming Gary Ablett's performance is because of Paleo are taking a stretch, likewise people claiming a fast food diet would still yield the same results likewise. Like most things, somewhere in the middle is the truth. The paleo diet would no doubt help give Gaz that extra edge but not the sole reason for his unbelievable games.

Correlation is not always causation.

People claiming Gary Ablett's performance is because of Paleo are taking a stretch, likewise people claiming a fast food diet would still yield the same results likewise. Like most things, somewhere in the middle is the truth. The paleo diet would no doubt help give Gaz that extra edge but not the sole reason for his unbelievable games.

Correlation is not always causation.

Who said this?

No s**t. Regardless of personal opinion players still, by and large, carb-load before a game.

Some players are more meticulous in their preparation that others - little wonder the stars are more meticulous than Campbell Brown, who was never a chance of being a Rhodes Scholar.

Brad Johnson once called the club doctor at 2am to ask if he should take 1 or 2 aspirin, and would set the alarm every two hours to ice an injury (you can now find machines that now do this automatically, ditto applying periodic compression). Some players smoke in the off season. The differences in professionalism among the 780+ players in the AFL is quite large in some cases.

Yeah but you where referring to Bartlett ate fish n Chips Friday night yet still played 400 games, alluding to that junk food doesn't effect a players performance.
I never said players don't carb load before a game, but to think what a player eats before a game or the days leading upto a game doesn't effect his performance for good or bad is ludicrous.

Ablett performing as he does while following a Paleo eating lifestyle is more so pointing out that Paleo(low carb) isn't detrimental to an Elite players performance , more so than stating if an Amateur switches from Maccas to Paleo he'll go from playing Reserves in a local league to being drafted & win a Brownlow.

What ever someone eats before a game will be used as energy as needed but certain foods are better utilised as energy than others, hence not all calories are treated equally.

Try eating a large pizza & a chocolate thick shake for breakfast on game day & report back how you play?

Yeah but you where referring to Bartlett ate fish n Chips Friday night yet still played 400 games, alluding to that junk food doesn't effect a players performance.
I never said, nor implied, nor stated that junk food doesn't effect a players performance.

That would as stupid as saying a tweak to the diet will turn an average player into a supersatr, or attributing David Warner's form reversal solely to his diet.
I never said players don't carb load before a game, but to think what a player eats before a game or the days leading upto a game doesn't effect his performance for good or bad is ludicrous.
... which is why nobody is saying that.

Ablett performing as he does while following a Paleo eating lifestyle is more so pointing out that Paleo(low carb) isn't detrimental to an Elite players performance , more so than stating if an Amateur switches from Maccas to Paleo he'll go from playing Reserves in a local league to being drafted & win a Brownlow.
Of course not - and as I've stated many times, there are a myriad of diet styles that work for different people.

Also, im near 10 weeks strict 95% Paleo with the other 5% coffee, butter and a small amount of Gouda/Cheddar and double cream. NEVER felt better, but the only down side is im developing a major intolerance to chemicals. I walk down the cleaning isle at the supermarket and my head just about explodes, my face started to come out in a rash after shaving so now i just use coconut oil and problem gone, i get headaches filling the car with petrol, its crazy.

Up side is my senses are improving big time. Most fascinating is my eyesight, at night when i wake i cannot read the digital clock as its to fuzzy but i can make out the shape to tell the time, now in the last 2-3 weeks i can actually read the numbers, not only that i have downgraded my cheap reading specs from 250 to 200.

Definitely something in going chemical free.

Have you been measuring your ketones while on strict Paleo Bazzar?
Yes, and they have dropped back from an average fasted 1.9-2.1 to 1.4-1.6. They were lower but i have started to have 20ml MCT before bed every night and that has given me better sleep and raised the fasted levels.

LCHF and Keto is great, but being Paleo and sugar/wheat/preservative/additive and chemical free is something else, i doubt i will change now as it just feels to good.

Paleo cooking show sounds great, but my general dislike of Pete Evans and the sheer amount of urine extracted out of his "activated almonds" thing will make it hard watching. Someone get Jamie Oliver on LCHF/Paleo, he already loves drowning everything in olive oil and cooks healthy meals so hes pretty much already there!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, and they have dropped back from an average fasted 1.9-2.1 to 1.4-1.6. They were lower but i have started to have 20ml MCT before bed every night and that has given me better sleep and raised the fasted levels.

LCHF and Keto is great, but being Paleo and sugar/wheat/preservative/additive and chemical free is something else, i doubt i will change now as it just feels to good.

Have you ever tried a LCHF version of pretty strict Paleo, so that you're in nutritional ketosis as well as getting the health benefits of no chemicals/sugar?

Have you ever tried a LCHF version of pretty strict Paleo, so that you're in nutritional ketosis as well as getting the health benefits of no chemicals/sugar?
Thats what i am doing now, low carb high fat Paleo. I find it a bit of a misconception that you have to be high protein if you are Paleo. Its just a matter of getting my macro's right under the Paleo guidelines. I do have some double cream and a little cheese and i have been in NK all year and yet to drop out. I'm still blown away by the slight improvement to my eye sight though, that has been an amazing bonus.

Thats what i am doing now, low carb high fat Paleo. I find it a bit of a misconception that you have to be high protein if you are Paleo. Its just a matter of getting my macro's right under the Paleo guidelines. I do have some double cream and a little cheese and i have been in NK all year and yet to drop out. I'm still blown away by the slight improvement to my eye sight though, that has been an amazing bonus.
If you don't mind me asking, what does a normal day's diet look like for you? Sorry if you've already outlined this sometime this year.

@Bazaar What's your recipe for Tom sauce?

@Bazaar What's your recipe for Tom sauce?
My Tom sauce is the replacement for bottled stuff you put on Pies etc, its very, very simple, natural and tasty and semi sweet and keeps in the fridge to my knowledge at least a month (not exactly sure as it gets used before that)

12 ripe tomatoes cut and quartered and the white core, seeds and watery bits discarded, and one granny smith apple peeled and cored (lowest GI apple) straight into blender and pureed, then into a saucepan and simmer on low for 1 hour , *Then re-puree in the blender and press through a sieve and back into the saucepan and simmer until very thick and concentrated, then bottle. That's it, simple but mega tasty.

* Pureed twice because i have a crap blender, but yehaar, i have a Vitamix on lay-buy, can't wait :D

Here's a random 'intro to/overview of' paleo article I found a really good read.

http://www.crossfit816.com/6-easy-steps-to-paleo

Don't ask what I was doing on a crossfit site, google sent me there when I was looking for something else. Honest!

Yeah Paleo is very popular amungst the crossfitters.
It's almost like following Paleo is a prerequisite to joining any Crossfit club.
"Sorry dude, no Paleo - no Crossfit session for your today!"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back