Palmer United Party

Nov 24, 2003
#impunity
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Oi Reep, he's a smart dude.

Hes got publicity for himself out of this.

Look Palmer may have funded the successful America's Cup challenge in 1983, introduced World Series Cricket and his multinational media corporation may have been caught up in a phone hacking scandal but I still say scammer.

I still reckon Palmer wants to lose the seat.
I've wondered about this too. With the power that he will have in the Senate, I'm not sure why he needs to waste his time with one vote in HOR. If I was to put on my tin foil hat, perhaps with the problems going on in the Motoring Entusiasts Party (who didn't see that coming?) he could persuade Ricky Muir to join PUP and then, for a healthy stipend, resign from the Senate allowing Clive to take a seat there.

Nov 24, 2003
#impunity
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I've wondered about this too. With the power that he will have in the Senate, I'm not sure why he needs to waste his time with one vote in HOR. If I was to put on my tin foil hat, perhaps with the problems going on in the Motoring Entusiasts Party (who didn't see that coming?) he could persuade Ricky Muir to join PUP and then, for a healthy stipend, resign from the Senate allowing Clive to take a seat there.

BUT WHAT ABOUT ALL WE MOTORING ENTHUSIASTS?!

I seriously don't think he wants to be in parliament at all.

for a couple of reasons
a) he would have to disclose his interests- why would he want to do that
b) he only ran to make noise, not for a legit contribution to Aus society.

I seriously don't think he wants to be in parliament at all.

for a couple of reasons
a) he would have to disclose his interests- why would he want to do that
b) he only ran to make noise, not for a legit contribution to Aus society.
You are almost certainly right, my tin foil postulation is probably just that.

Must be just about all over. Glen Lazurus has quit.
Name change to the Palmer Alone Party.

If only for any disparaging comments on Palmer to become a sub-editor's dream: "PAP-Smear" as a headline!

This brings up an interesting question for me. Do we vote for a party or an individual in the Senate?
Who had heard of Lambie or Lazurus (apart from sport) before. I believe if I was voting for PUP, I would be disillusioned if the party I voted for (in my state) wasn't represented.
Palmer put up the money for both of them to run, if they want to sit in the Senate as Independents, maybe they should pay Palmer back for the money he spent.
Either way, interesting times ahead in the Senate.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Falling apart much quicker than I expected.

Won't elect another senator without preference magic.

Tomjas00

Senior List
Aug 12, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
This brings up an interesting question for me. Do we vote for a party or an individual in the Senate?
Who had heard of Lambie or Lazurus (apart from sport) before. I believe if I was voting for PUP, I would be disillusioned if the party I voted for (in my state) wasn't represented.
Palmer put up the money for both of them to run, if they want to sit in the Senate as Independents, maybe they should pay Palmer back for the money he spent.
Either way, interesting times ahead in the Senate.

Lazarus is probably the only PUP candidate that had a shot at winning off his own bat and given that he is reasonably intelligent, it is a wonder that he has been able to put up with Clive for this long

Back