Opinion Paris

Remove this Banner Ad

you might be onto something here, perhaps the so-called refugee crisis is a deliberately engineered trojan horse :rolleyes:

guess what mate, there are about 1.5 billion muslims in the world and I really don't know what to say to you if you're prepared to fear and condemn all of them for the actions of a handful - they're called extremists for a reason. Thousands and thousands of refugees are fleeing the same evil that shot up Paris yesterday and that ought to tell you more than anything that this is a global issue and that you can't just turn them around and say **** off its your problem.

Exactly!

Reminds me of a certain collection of major word events that occurred over the course of 200 years, facilitated and encouraged by the Catholic church.

You know, the Crusades.
Muslim kills non Muslim - Extreme left wing nutter blames Crusades.

As someone with Irish heritage if I do harm to an Englishman can i blame the potato famine.

With the greatest respect to Bill Murray (I'm presuming the quote is true and not one of those attributed Internet quotes), that is the biggest crock of horseshit and pretty much shows a complete lack of understanding of historical context.

World War I is still seen as the greatest war. That started with a political assassination and inflamed ideological and political differences.

World War II was flat out bigotry and started with political annexation of a country's sovereign borders.

I get that potting religion is a thing and most of the time they deserve it, but this image is just flat out wrong.

"I'm hearing" as if you've got some source in the Intel world. Get a grip, you've clearly demonstrated that your knowledge and understanding on these matters doesn't extend beyond what Fox News or Andrew Bolt have told you to think.

Hey don't get your knickers in a twist.
It was hot off the press and I said I doubted its accuracy. What more do you want.

you might be onto something here, perhaps the so-called refugee crisis is a deliberately engineered trojan horse :rolleyes:

guess what mate, there are about 1.5 billion muslims in the world and I really don't know what to say to you if you're prepared to fear and condemn all of them for the actions of a handful - they're called extremists for a reason. Thousands and thousands of refugees are fleeing the same evil that shot up Paris yesterday and that ought to tell you more than anything that this is a global issue and that you can't just turn them around and say **** off its your problem.

Well better steel yourself for a whole lot more of this then cupcake. Luckily we don't have to worry too much in Oz, but Europe are doing themselves no favors with them leaky borders. Russia is also in for more issues in there southern areas after stirring up the hornets nest.

So do you just let every Tom,Dick and Harry waltze in to your country. Or stop them, check there suitability and then accept them as refugees. If there high risk why take the chance.

With the greatest respect to Bill Murray (I'm presuming the quote is true and not one of those attributed Internet quotes), that is the biggest crock of horseshit and pretty much shows a complete lack of understanding of historical context.

World War I is still seen as the greatest war. That started with a political assassination and inflamed ideological and political differences.

World War II was flat out bigotry and started with political annexation of a country's sovereign borders.

I get that potting religion is a thing and most of the time they deserve it, but this image is just flat out wrong.

You should read the quote again, because you have missed the point by a long, long way.

Last edited:
Well better steel yourself for a whole lot more of this then cupcake. Luckily we don't have to worry too much in Oz, but Europe are doing themselves no favors with them leaky borders. Russia is also in for more issues in there southern areas after stirring up the hornets nest.

So do you just let every Tom,Dick and Harry waltze in to your country. Or stop them, check there suitability and then accept them as refugees. If there high risk why take the chance.
this was an atrocious act, no doubt, but the number of human lives lost to terror to date would be dwarfed by a comparison against the other wonderful "achievements" of the human race throughout history. You don't fight hate with more hate, you don't fight evil with more evil. The situation in the middle east is INCREDIBLY complex and misunderstood (and ****ed up) and we Australian's can't be so short-sighted to think we can shut ourselves out and live in isolation.

I would highly suggest this article (to everyone) to give you an idea of what we're actually fighting http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/03/what-isis-really-wants/384980/

I'm not trying to say I've got it all worked out by any means by the way, but I'm also not naive enough to think that giving up my own humanity is going to solve this problem, nor am I more scared of losing my life than I am excited to actually continue to live it.

Have you even been to Belfast let alone lived there? Tell me about your first hand experiences of Catholic vs Protestant troubles in Northern Ireland.
View attachment 193227

A couple of things, firstly your obsessions with Belfast alone says plenty.

Secondly you produce a chart that shows a tiny, tiny amount of casualties over a 30-40 year conflict to disprove claims that it wasn't very much?What next, pointing a to glass of water to prove water is not wet? Setting fire to something to prove naked flame isn't hot? Point proven

Now what were these religious differences you claimed they were fighting about?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah but you can do all that without religion. i can name just as many organisations that do good for society that have nothing to do with religion, flying doctor, canteen, red cross, rspca and many more.

You could but you would look pretty foolish if you were trying to use that to prove religious charities don't do charitable work.

I perhaps didn't express it correctly, do religions provide society with anything positive that can't be done by non religious people? Is there any point to religions?

What sort of question is that?

If you are saying is there something that religious organisations do that others can't? That kinda misunderstands what faith is about.

If you're talking about charitable good works, is there so little need in the world we can ration who is allowed to help?

Except that is exactly what you tried to do when produced that list in counter point.
As I said before the I didn't pose the question as if hoped and I countered his interpretation to my question.

Maybe I don't understand faith properly, but I just can't see the point in it, people can be good do good things without a religious belief and it seems a lot war/acts are based on religion or religious beliefs. So what does it actually provide society?

As I said before the I didn't pose the question as if hoped and I countered his interpretation to my question.

Maybe I don't understand faith properly, but I just can't see the point in it, people can be good do good things without a religious belief and it seems a lot war/acts are based on religion or religious beliefs. So what does it actually provide society?

I can't discern whether you're taking a potshot at religions in general or are genuinely ignorant on this one froggy.:confused:

There are a lot of criticisms that can be reasonably made, maybe even legitimately made against religion but their work in the community isn't one of them.

Leaving aside any question of gods, celestial transcension etc. What they also preach is an awful lot of being nice a person and helping others. If you want to please God, be very nice, and helpful to others. That's not a bad thing is it?

I guarantee there will be a lot more jebovah witnesses, Lutherans, Jews, Mormons, Catholics, Protestants and Muslims volunteering in soup kitchens than smug assholes like you and me, who spend our time arguing over the Internet.

Then you have the radical, marginal elements who like killing and preventing footy on good Friday, these fundamental elements should be stopped ;)

There are a lot of criticisms that can be reasonably made, maybe even legitimately made against religion but their work in the community isn't one of them.

Leaving aside any question of gods, celestial transcension etc. What they also preach is an awful lot of being nice a person and helping others. If you want to please God, be very nice, and helpful to others. That's not a bad thing is it?

I guarantee there will be a lot more jebovah witnesses, Lutherans, Jews, Mormons, Catholics, Protestants and Muslims volunteering in soup kitchens than smug assholes like you and me, who spend our time arguing over the Internet.

Then you have the radical, marginal elements who like killing and preventing footy on good Friday, these fundamental elements should be stopped ;)
I appreciate the reply and I think you sort of get where I'm coming from, I understand they do a lot of good in the community but my point is how else do they contribute to society because people who aren't religious can do the same work or is it just that you're more likely to be religious if your doing something good in the community.

I appreciate the reply and I think you sort of get where I'm coming from, I understand they do a lot of good in the community but my point is how else do they contribute to society because people who aren't religious can do the same work or is it just that you're more likely to be religious if your doing something good in the community.

The people who aren't religious DON'T do as much in the community though. Those people you see out there helping others, much more likely to be religious.

for all the wacky elements of the Book of Mormon, those blokes do a s**t load more charitable work than just about anyone else. The Salvation Army? Same.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back