Past Andrew Collins

Remove this Banner Ad

16. Andrew Collins

collins_andrew_260104_l.jpg

DOB: 17/11/1988

Height: 187cm

Weight: 83kg

Draft History: Pick 73 (Richmond), 2006 AFL Draft. Traded by Richmond to Carlton in 2010 for Shaun Grigg. Pick 23 (Carlton), 2013 Rookie Draft.

Recruited From: Sandhurst/Bendigo U18/Richmond

Debut: Round 4, 2009 vs Melbourne

Career Highlights: Video to be provided

2013 Forecast:

Re: Andrew Collins

Will need to do a bit of work to break into the best 22 but is good back up and with his potential to improve it's certainly a very good get by Swicke!

Will need to do a bit of work to break into the best 22 but is good back up and with his potential to improve it's certainly a very good get by Swicke!
Maybe not far off, but I rate him a bit more highly than that TBH.

We will fall in love with his harndess at the ball, and he seems to get in the right position in front of goals a lot.

Uses his body a bit like Robbo but is probably more skillful. I was worried that losing Grigga meant we lost a little bit of hardness/mongrel, but I think we have actually just increased it a bit.

In Collins we get a guy who had to work his butt off to get to where he is.
In Grigg we lose a guy who seemed to expect things and not work hard to get better.

Just had a look back at our second meeting vs Tiges, and esp the 3rd Q when they got going for a little patch. Collins was directly involved in the first 3 goals in the third Q, slotting a nice pass to Post, then winning a free and goaling after crumbing, then crumbing again and feeding a nice HB to cousins for another.

I like him.

Na for mine it's 25 for Andy. Won't have as much pressure wearing it as say Lachie would. Good bloke deserves a historic jumper.

Na for mine it's 25 for Andy. Won't have as much pressure wearing it as say Lachie would. Good bloke deserves a historic jumper.
14 is a historic jumper.

Collins admits trade came as surprise
"I hold no angst against Richmond," Collins said from Etihad Stadium on Monday.

"They've been very good to me, it's been my home for the last four years, so I leave on good terms there. That's footy I suppose; it throws a few curve balls.

"I'm very excited. I suppose a couple of days ago it came as a bit of a shock, but I couldn't be more positive about the move. I'm really excited about the faith that Carlton has shown in me. I can't wait to get down there and get started.

"I think Shaun Grigg is obviously a quality player. Richmond were very keen on him and were willing to let me go. That's footy; it just happens."

"I've spoken to Ratts about it and it will be a bit of both I think," he said.

"In today's game you need to be able to play a few positions and that's what I want to do. I'm a midfielder who can go up forward and try and snag [a goal] or take a mark.

"[But] there's a lot of water to go under the bridge, a lot of training to be done. I just hope I can work my way into the side and eventually have an impact."
Collins admits trade came as surprise

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Andrew Collins

Andrew Collins to shadow another great
Collins started to become confident in his ability to play at senior level when the call about the Carlton move came from manager Anthony McConville last week.

"I'm excited and take it as a positive that Carlton thought me worthy of recruiting. And I have liked what I have seen of the club in recent times," Collins said.

"Their ability to beat a few good sides in 2010 appeals to me. It takes a good side to do that.

"Carlton coach Brett Ratten explained they would like me to play both as a midfielder kicking inside 50, and someone who can take a mark in the forward line."
Andrew Collins to shadow another great

Andy is a good pick up. His endurance is up with the best and he can cover the ground quickly as well. What also appeals is is ability in the air. He can take good marks on packs. As yet he is a bit light and doesn't go body on body. With work in the gym he could develop into a really good utility. He is a project worth the investment.
possibly Weaver :) said:
Andrew Collins - now this kid has the tools. I think we might have found our late-round Rishitelli (an off-the-rader, unrated gem). Collins was classy with his ball use. His kicking was wonderful at times. He looked like a 3rd year pro with his poise, clean hands and class. Played as a centreman and looks like a guy who has an AFL game. Tired badly and was running on the spot by the end - also got plenty of breathers on the bench. When he gets some AFL level petrol in his tank I really think we will add someone to the centre-square mix. And a good one - no hoofer / tackler. Genuine must-stop centreman.
Just ignore Weaver's view on Jack Riewoldt. ;) :eek: :D

Sorry I've been having trouble posting on here since I got my new laptop, thought it didn't get through properly so I deleted it. I did copy it in case I could get it working so here it is again :eek:

---

So I haven't posted on here for a while after being overseas and what not, but happened to have a chat with Andy over the holiday season when we were both out in Bendigo one night and thought some people on here might be interested in what he had to say about his move from Richmond to Carlton.

This is by no means a troll on Richmond but Andy said coming to Carlton was a real eye opener. He described it as if he had gone from a local bush footy team to a major league club (obviously in terms I could relate to having done both).

He said that the training was so much harder and better organised as well as the place just being an overall more professional club.

His exact words were '100% more professional' and ' far less amateur'.

Interesting to say that least.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back