Traded #6: Angus Monfries - Insert stock Boo-urns joke here - Retired 10/10

Remove this Banner Ad

i made this to help you decide

eZnW6.jpg

Monfries is still a large feature of the Essendon promo banners in the Virgin terminal @ Tulla airport.

Not sure how long they're going to stay there, but someone might want to let the club know in case they are unaware and would like to change it.

So looking forward to a season without this imposter. Bring on Nick O'Brien!!!

Angus Monfries was a great servant of this club.

Man showed up every week and gave his all.

He might not be an Essendon player anymore, but he still deserves our respect.

Angus Monfries was a great servant of this club.

Man showed up every week and gave his all.

He might not be an Essendon player anymore, but he still deserves our respect.
I kinda disagree. He was a loafer of monstrous proportions. He would play his customary "slashing" game (generally against Carlton) and then go missing for weeks on end. He did this year in and year out. It's because of blokes like him who have played 150 games of mediocrity that we have been so ordinary as a team for over a decade. It's about time we started weeding out this sort of fluff.

I kinda disagree. He was a loafer of monstrous proportions. He would play his customary "slashing" game (generally against Carlton) and then go missing for weeks on end. He did this year in and year out. It's because of blokes like him who have played 150 games of mediocrity that we have been so ordinary as a team for over a decade. It's about time we started weeding out this sort of fluff.

Mate, your opinion is your own and I will not deny you that.

I would ask that you reconsider Monfries - he was a fantastic servant of our club.

Mate, your opinion is your own and I will not deny you that.

I would ask that you reconsider Monfries - he was a fantastic servant of our club.
I used to be a huge fan of his - early days. But he never grew up. The kid always played like a kid to the very end. Would always fall over like a kid. Always get pushed over like a kid. Always went missing like a kid. For someone who played that many games for the club you would hope that he would have some credentials to show for it. For example, he never finished top 5 in any B & F count. Probably hardly ever made top 10. That's terrible considering we have been so bad over that period and he has played a high percentage of matches in every season. Plus he was never part of any leadership group, which says quite a lot. Especially when he had leadership aspirations back in 2006!

IMO, he has always been overrated by our own. And certainly by a few commentators. And that's because he occasionally did the flashy thing and that sticks in the minds of those with short attention spans. Until James Hird came along and demanded more. I'll never forget Hird's comments after Monfries played a blinder v Adelaide in 2011. He said Gus has finally "played like a man". Ever since then though, he crawled back to his kiddie ways and now finds himself at Port Crapelaide.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Solid player who I wish all the success in the world to. Served the club well. Think you might be being a bit harsh on him mate.
Made a hell of a lot of good points, of which you refuted none of. Just because you had his number on your jumper, poster on your wall, bought his badge at the footy, or told a mate after his 3rd game that he's 'gunna be a gun' doesn't change the fact that all of the stuff written in the post above is accurate and he rarely actually performed for the club. Looking like a nice player just isn't enough.

Made a hell of a lot of good points, of which you refuted none of. Just because you had his number on your jumper, poster on your wall, bought his badge at the footy, or told a mate after his 3rd game that he's 'gunna be a gun' doesn't change the fact that all of the stuff written in the post above is accurate and he rarely actually performed for the club. Looking like a nice player just isn't enough.

Im not going to try and change your mind you seem to be pretty firm in your beliefs. Never really had any posters of his tbh but thanks for your assumptions. Not everyone can be a superstar and monfries was a solid player that gave a lot for this club. The same as lonergan who I also wish the best.

You are correct in that these are the type of players we should be moving on however you seem to be quite scathing in your opinions and aggressive in the way you express yourself. We can all have our opinions. I was just sharing mine and stating that I didn't agree with yours.

He was ok. I am not overly fussed that he is gone though.

If we want to be a premiership side, monfries would have to be player 25-30 on our list.

That's just where our list needs to get too.

I was always comfortable with him lining up for goal.

As for the Adelaide match off the wing - was it the exception, or the rule? A fluke, or a sign of potential ability/output? Hopefully, he gets more of a chance to develop that side of his game at PAFC and can kill it on the wing (again?).

Can't really have much of a go at him for effort, decision-making, or anything else. Nothing glaringly bad about his game; maybe he has played to his limits...Even if there was a reason to have a go at him, he's gone now, and done his EFC service, so we tilt the hat and move on, which is mutually beneficial for everyone.

He was frustrating with the staging, but was a good servant for the club. I hope he flourishes at port and reaches his potential, because he simply wasn't going to be much better for us than he already was.

Change can be helpful for both parties.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-02-08/gus-gets-on-with-it

Monfries, who was best on ground in Port Adelaide's hit-out against its SANFL counterpart on Friday, has remained tight-lipped about his final year at Essendon.

He is likely to be interviewed by the AFL and the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority as part of the joint investigation into the Dons' possible use of banned supplements.

The Power said Monfries would co-operate fully with the investigation.

Quality bloke Gussy.

Very professional.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back