Delisted #13: Anthony Long - Delisted without having played senior football

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome to Essendon.

Draft profile, thanks to AFL.com.au:

Height: 187cm
Weight: 74kg

Skilful running defender with great ability to move through traffic. Agility, recovery and vertical leap are all impressive - 3secs for 20m at Draft Camp, 8.37secs for agility (top 33 per cent) and 70cm running vertical jump (top 30 per cent). Nephew of former Bomber, Michael.

Welcome, Anthony.

Best of luck in what will hopefully be a long and fantastic career at Essendon.

Welcome to Essendon.

Draft profile, thanks to AFL.com.au:

Height: 187cm
Weight: 74kg

Skilful running defender with great ability to move through traffic. Agility, recovery and vertical leap are all impressive - 3secs for 20m at Draft Camp, 8.37secs for agility (top 33 per cent) and 70cm running vertical jump (top 30 per cent). Nephew of former Bomber, Michael.

Word is that he is a (excuse the pun) long term prospect.

Unlikely to get any games next year but once he's put's on a bit of muscle he should be right to go 2011.

just for completeness he is Mick's nephew, not cousin. He is Steven's son, who in a later time would have played at AFL level, think a taller high marking Mick.

he is Cyril Junior Boy's (Hawks) cousin. Junior boy's dad married Mick's sister.

just for completeness he is Mick's nephew, not cousin. He is Stephen's son, who in a later time would have played at AFL level, think a taller high marking Mick.

he is Cyril Junior Boy's (Hawks) cousin. Junior boy's dad married Mick's sister.
Is he then related to Christensen?

I read that he too, is related to both the Longs and Riolis.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is he then related to Christensen?

I read that he too, is related to both the Longs and Riolis.

through his mum i would assume, she is a Scrymgour, they are from up around there too.

Christensen is the nephew of Marty who used to play for Geelong and Saint Mary's and the son of Brendan, who also played for Saints.

I am sorry but to me this screams as an ordinary pick, especially when Christensen is available!
I was disappointed too, however Christensen slipping to #40 suggests there's something that clubs know that we don't. And yes, that includes you.

I wish all our draftees well, but Christensen is an inside mid. I can't believe we have 4 picks inside 33 and did not take a true inside mid. Quite happy with the other 3 picks though. Wish all the draftees well though, including Long. Hope he proves me wrong.

Welcome Longy!

Don't know much about him but the pedigree is good.

The thing about the guys we have drafted is that they are winners (the 3 at Cannons anyway). They know how to win and what it takes. I think that's an underrated attribute when looking at kids.

Also, in the past few drafts we have had 1 or 2 guys that we could see making it and the rest are usually picks 40+ and just speculative.

Tonight we got all 4 guys in the first 2 rounds (of the last real draft for a few years).

Great night for us I think!

Can't wait to get to training after New Years to see these guys and the rookie picks.

BRING ON THE NAB CUP!

I wish all our draftees well, but Christensen is an inside mid. I can't believe we have 4 picks inside 33 and did not take a true inside mid. Quite happy with the other 3 picks though. Wish all the draftees well though, including Long. Hope he proves me wrong.
I think we've got the inside mids department covered... Watson, Myers, Lonergan and Hocking.

I wish all our draftees well, but Christensen is an inside mid. I can't believe we have 4 picks inside 33 and did not take a true inside mid.
No point bitching about it, at the very least until next year, but realistically for a few years.

After all, the verdict still hasn't been made on Myers after two years; some players take longer than others.

No point bitching about it, at the very least until next year, but realistically for a few years.

After all, the verdict still hasn't been made on Myers after two years; some players take longer than others.

Yep, well the reality is I have no issue with the first two picks- they were bang on. Did not expect Carlile to be there, wrapt to get him at 24. Stevens would have been nice but I do feel Carlile has more upside anyway. No dramas there.

26 was weird taking Coyler BUT it does fill a direct need. We don't have an elite small forward, he could be exactly that. Disappointed we didn't go for Bartlett but I understand why we took Coyler.

33, I won't discuss as at this stage I am not a fan. But like all draftees, I wish them the best of luck.

In the end, welcome to Essendon Melksham, Carlile, Coyler and Long. Wish them all the best in 2010 and beyond.

I wish all our draftees well, but Christensen is an inside mid.

He'll be quite the opposite if he makes it in the AFL.

He'll be a creative half forward, at best he'll be a replica of Stokes from the Cats. Mark my words.

I think we've got the inside mids department covered... Watson, Myers, Lonergan and Hocking.

Maybe, we still could get Alex Carey in the PSD draft. Ideally I'd like 1 more inside mid.

Saw him at the supermarket today. Seedy looking bloke.

Haha, nice choice of words.

Back to Long, haven't really watched closely enough to comment on him accurately.

What I will say though that with the surname 'Long' and good agility, we'll have something to work with. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back