Past Bradley Walsh

Draft Buster

Senior List
Apr 28, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Noticed this guys has been in the top disposals 2 weeks in a row in the 2's. Read the draft info on him etc. sounds like a Jet. Can anyone tell me what the Major Knock on him was as the article I read said he was just about the most rounded player in the draft, but didnt get drafted.

and is he a genuine chance to play seniors?

Thanks in Advance

Yeah Walsh is a ripper, very tough in and under, similar game to Nathan Jones from Melbourne. It was a great test in the mud on the weekend as he wouldn't have played in conditions like that very much in W.A. He actually is a very good kick on both sides of his body so look for improvement there.
Overlooked in the draft as W.A. had a poor carnival, no fault of Walsh, read previous reports in his thread :)

Any chance of Walsh getting a call up to the senior side? Played against him in junior years. Great bloke and leader

It would be nice to get a look at him. Has been playing well in the VFL. Probably the most advanced of the young first year rookies.

Also our LTI list is chocka-bloc so we have the opportunity to elevate them all.

Teagueeee15

Premiership Player
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I've seen nearly all of his games now and I do think he deserves a shot in the AFL before the season is out. Even though Gowers was rookied at an earlier selection, Walsh has him covered by a fair bit based on performances so far. Walsh is unfortunate that we have some decent strength on our rookie list with Wood, Byrne, Fields and maybe even Johnson ahead of him which is unfortunate.

I'm not sure whether he will make it or not, but his team first attitude, bravery and general work rate will be much appreciated by supporters and teammates. I know it's appreciated at the Northern Blues from the way the coaches and teammates interact with him as he comes for a spell on the bench.

I have two question marks over his game - Kicking and his ability to spread. It's hard to gauge how good he is at these aspects because the ground conditions and game style in the VFL make games scrappy and physical with space hard to find. This suits guys like Walsh and Whiley to a tee, but it isn't the reality of how the AFL is. On a fast deck against North Ballarat at Etihad, Graham and Smith were busy around the packs and also able to get the ball on the outside, getting involved in linking up play, but Walsh didn't seem to have the speed in the legs to do it. Hopefully at Etihad in a fortnights time, he links up a bit more. I know I will be keeping a close eye on him because I really hope he makes it.

vWestCoast

Premiership Player
Dec 1, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Won't be a line breaking mid with explosive pace but he'll never die wondering. Even on the training track he'd be an asset to any team and reminds me a lot of Matthew Boyd. Bulldogs players have talked about the fact he would get into the senior boys if they weren't meeting training standards even when he was just a rookie.

Appreciate the replies guys, looking forward to hopefully seeing him debut this year :thumbsu:

Won't be a line breaking mid with explosive pace but he'll never die wondering. Even on the training track he'd be an asset to any team and reminds me a lot of Matthew Boyd. Bulldogs players have talked about the fact he would get into the senior boys if they weren't meeting training standards even when he was just a rookie.

Appreciate the replies guys, looking forward to hopefully seeing him debut this year :thumbsu:

Too much of a long shot with Whiley & Holman ahead of him.

Walsh comes across as a terrific character and whether they're on the main or rookie, it's hard to see them let go.

Cachia has had a great season to date playing Richmond reserves. I feel Walsh may end up playing great football at this level, regularly.

Draft Buster

Senior List
Apr 28, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Walsh racks them up again against Box Hill

For the Blues, Brad Walsh accumulated 27 touches, followed closely by Glenn Strachan who amassed 24 disposals off half back.
Ben Walton led the goal kicking for the Blues with four, while Clem Smith played his best game for the Northern Blues to finish with three goals.
Walsh, who was forced to play a lone hand at times in the middle for the Blues, said the result was “pretty disappointing”.
“We knew it was going to be a massive challenge going in to the contest, we were hoping to take it up to them,” Walsh said.
“It was a nice day out there, and we thought if we used our skills and defended their attack by foot we’d have a chance.
“Obviously there were just too good of an outfit today.”
Walsh, who dominated contested possessions for the day (16 in total), believes that effort is not the issue.
“Skills will be the main thing that needs addressing,” Walsh said.
“It’s (skills) going to be a huge focus on that over the pre-season, it’s just a matter of momentum at the moment.
“I think we’ve lost a bit of our skills, the effort’s there, we’re getting our tackles up but if we can hit those targets [better] we’ll be a much better side.”
The Blues’ will head down to Simonds Stadium next weekend to face Geelong, who were comprehensively beaten by the Hawks last week by 50 points.
Walsh said it was the Blues’ intention to come away from the clash with the Cats with the four points, and to finish the season on a high.
“I think at this point it’s just about getting the most out of the year: we’re just going out there with a positive mindset and really just getting the little things right to get a good start to the pre season next year,” Walsh said.
“We have a really good chance next week. If we can take it up to them and use our uncontested style of footy, while winning clearances and contested possession, I think we’ll stand a massive chance.”

Walsh determined to get fitter

“It’s been a pretty positive year for me: it’s been a great atmosphere to come into at this club,” Walsh said.

“Everyone is really dedicated and we’re playing for the jumper so I’m really looking forward to hopefully playing for a long time.”

Maybe Walsh will be around for a little longer..................Good on him. :thumbsu:

PuffDragon89

All Australian
Mar 15, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings, Man City
I liked this bit most...
"Personally I just want to get a lot fitter: even just getting a taste of AFL as the sub, it’s a massive step up in aerobic fitness and speed,” Walsh said.
“I’d just like to get that little bit quicker and faster and hopefully I’ll be able to consistently get a few games at AFL level under my belt."

Crippa type determination to improve. Good luck Walshy.

lzimmer

Debutant
Jun 11, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Got high hopes for this kid! Reckon he will turn out a steal, hope he gets a chance to run out the last couple of games with murphy potentially out.

Yep. When they drafted him they spoke about his leadership skills.

Is the type of player we need around the club; guts, determination and a hard worker.

It is but we've had that with Ellard & White.

The main thing now is that the kids coming through this year don't have to look at someone 10 years their senior to see how hard you have to work.
They just look at Cripps, Graham, Walsh, Buckley, Docherty etc and they'll have a pretty good idea.

ChatFaker

Draftee
Feb 5, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Did we ever get a clear reason why we delisted Walsh? Seemed to have a solid debut season for a rookie and never got a clear run at the seniors. Surely a young hardworking leader could only be an asset?

Back