Past player - Cale Morton (2013)

Remove this Banner Ad

MORTONCale297.jpg

Details
Number 40
Height 191cm
Weight 78Kg
DOB 18-01-1990
Debut 2008 Round 1 Vs Hawthorn (Melbourne); 2013 Round 16 Vs Fremantle (West Coast)

Draft history: 2007 National Draft Pick 4 (Melbourne); Traded to the Eagles for Pick 88 in 2012
Player Honours: 2007 Larke Medal; NAB Rising Star Nominee Round 20, 2008

I just watched the 1st half of the Round 11 Melbourne VS Collingwood game. It's the same game where that coach killers clip comes from.

I watched Morton very closely, of course, and this is what I've come up with based on that half.

Pros:
Foot skills. Long kick and kicks to his teams advantage
Works hard, he wants to win the ball and he chases but he's not consistent with his desire to win the ball.

Cons:
Not at all a smooth mover. Someone said it before - he's like a baby giraffe. Looks poor below the knees to say the least and his agility is bad.
Weak. Amongst other things, he gets nudged off the ball too easily and isn't able to nudge anyone off the ball himself. Considering how long it takes him to recover if he overruns the ball after being nudged past it, it's pretty bad.
Just bails on contests sometimes. In the 1st quarter he was hungry for the footy, in the 2nd, he bailed on a few contests and waited to tackle whoever won the ball.

FWIW, he got thrown around a lot in that 1st half - Wing, back, forward, back, wing. IMO he looks the best playing in defence, especially when he's loose. He's not the kind of guy you want winning the ball, rather you want him getting easy possessions in defence and kicking it forward.

Melbourne's review of Morton in 2011:

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7415/newsid/125872/default.aspx

Cale Morton (No.10)
Career

Debut: 2008
Career matches: 64
Career goals: 31

Matches: 14
Goals: 5
Kicks: 126
Marks: 63
Handballs: 99
Disposals: 225
Tackles: 21

Todd Viney’s season assessmentCale struggled to get going. He was very inconsistent and he was disappointed with his year. It was one of those years, which he’d like to forget, but I reckon it’ll be a driving force for him going into 2012. He’s one player who needs to get fitter and stronger in the pre-season to be able to compete. So he has a fair bit of work to undertake.

And 2012:

Cale Morton
Cale Morton broke into the AFL side and played eight games this year. He put together a real block of consistency, playing as an inside mid around Rounds 4, 5 and 6, and showed some real glimpses that he could develop into an inside midfielder. His ability to run and spread, and to get out in space, is as good as any player on our list, and Cale just needs to continue to develop his contested areas. Unfortunately he sustained a shoulder injury against Gold Coast, which interrupted the end part of his season, but Cale will have a strong summer, working on getting his strength back and getting his body ready again for an AFL season in 2013. Cale played a number of roles in the VFL - back, midfield, as a tagger - and again, just showed his versatility. Cale just needs to keep developing that consistency in his game. - Aaron Greaves (midfield development coach)

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/tabid/7415/default.aspx?newsid=148521

(Log in to remove this ad.)

273712_gp.jpg

One of the first pictures of Morton in West Coast colours.

He still looks pretty thin though.
He does look a bit thin; but then he is supposed to be a midfielder rather than a key position player so he might want to stay thin to retain his speed rather than bulk up and lose some of it.

If Morton's getting a regular game, it means 1 of 2 things:

1) the club is injury ravaged
2) your midfield rotation is woefully out of form

I don't believe Morton will fit into west coast's culture of hard at it feroicus football, and that's a compliment on your football club.

If Morton's getting a regular game, it means 1 of 2 things:

1) the club is injury ravaged
2) your midfield rotation is woefully out of form

I don't believe Morton will fit into west coast's culture of hard at it feroicus football, and that's a compliment on your football club.

I said the same thing of Josh Hill, and while it did take injury problems to get him a regular gig, he turned his style of play around a fair bit I think. Won a lot of respect from Eagles fans last year. Who knows, if Morton can snare some games as a depth mid/wingman maybe he can too!

Morton update!

photo-1-jpg.9478

1.Image of Morton floating effortlessly past Carter before catching Hill holding the ball. Thanks TOA.

2. Link to a thread o the main board discussing how the recruitment of Morton has led to a betting plunge on West Coast to win the premiership.

3. Scott Burns in a recent interview when asked about Cale:
"Cale's got that ability to play in a few positions, especially with that height. He can certainly cover the ground."

Thanks prem87.

I thought this was worth posting here as a pre-season update on Morton.

This is from TOA training report on 16.01.13

Yeh, I've been quietly impressed. Did one great kick that brought significant praise from one of the assistants, 50m pass to leading forward. He can definitely play a role for us this year. Also seems to be putting in the extra effort in the drills, pushes himself to each station, seemed to always want to be the first player of the group to make it there on the occassions I saw. I think he is working really hard to make this opportunity work for him.

Happy Birthday to Mortein Morton.

Other birthdays today include Jason Segal (How I Met Your Mother, Forgetting Sarah Marshall), Kevin Costner and wrestler Dave Batista. Morton likes to think he holds the best traits of all 3 of those men.

Thanks to 92942006 for posting this from the 2013 prospectus:

Cale Morton – MID
Since Morton’s second AFL season at AFL leavel, he has gone backwards each year, culminating in a career-low return for Champion Data ranking points in 2012. He has been an outside player across his career, recording the lowest contested possession rate of any Melbourne player in that time. He was nelow-average ball-winner for a midfielder lat season while his kicking into the forward 50 rated poor, recording the lowest marking percentage of the top 22 at the Deamons. Morton managed seven games in the VFL, averaging 21 disposals, four inside 50s abd three rebound 50s per game.

http://www.6pr.com.au/blogs/6pr-perth-blog/eagles-will-look-at-buddy/20130204-2duu0.html

In this interview with Worsfold, Woosha is asked about our new recruits and he says that each of them are concentrating on slightly different things. Apparently Morton is in the gym 5 or 6 times a week working on his core strength. Worsfold believes that he needs to improve on this to become a good footballer.

No surprises really, as most people have been saying he needs to add muscle for years. Hopefully we see a stronger Morton in 2013 :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back