Past Player - Chris Knights

Remove this Banner Ad

if he learns to kick and select the right option when disposing of it then he will be close to our best midfielder
until then he will just be another Mattner/Connell

if he learns to kick and select the right option when disposing of it then he will be close to our best midfielder
until then he will just be another Mattner/Connell

He has showed glimpses of getting this right. I felt he was well on his way to having this sorted out but seemed to go backwards a little after having his season interupted by injury.

He has showed glimpses of getting this right. I felt he was well on his way to having this sorted out but seemed to go backwards a little after having his season interupted by injury.

I am a huge fan of Knighter and here sadly i must agree with your point though. Mid season this year he was superb in the games around the Collingwood game this year he brained he was playing awsum footy but then after he got injured it looked like he lost little of his touch again..

I also have news for Crow supporters like me wh are fans of Knighter he said to my cousin who is one of his best friends that after his current contract with the crows expires he is coming back home to Melbourne and playing for one of the teams down here.

On the off chance that isn't bullshit and he doesn't change his mind before his contract runs out, we'd better hope he gets his act together and shows his best so we can get a good pick out of him.

For now I'll assume it's bullshit.

Meanwhile you should probably tell your cousin to let Knights know that he should probably keep that sort of information to himself.

It is only bullshit i was just trying to see if the kid did have any supporters and if it was not a hypothetical question which it was sincerly meant to be i wanted to know what they would say about the move. I am sorry for getting you slightly heated up but i am glad i did

Anyways i know i am going on and on so i will stop now.
Now does anyone have any thoughts on how he will perform next year. What does he need to improve on to be one of the stars of the crows team?

Chris Knights Stats

Chris Knights is a 22 year old midfielder for the Adelaide Crows. He is a victorian boy who came to the crows via the easter ranges and draft 56 of the 2004 draft. He played the best game of his carrer in 2008 round 15 against Collingwood. On that day he racked up 37 disposals and worked hard to gather more than 20 handball recieves. He is not a goal kicking midfielder and along with his effeciency of his kicking that is the main area where he must continue to improve for the 2009 season

Pluses of Knighter..
He is brillant at being at the right spot at the right time to recieve te ball. Consistently racks up a huge number of disposals

Negatives
From looking at his statistical figures of the year i believe what he must definitley improve on is his effeciency ofhis disposal. He racks up a large number of disposals yes but unless he starts to use it well other teams will not mind as he does not burn a hole through their defence.

Statistical figures of 2008
Handballs:132
Kicks:201
Total Disposals:333
Marks:79
Hit Outs:16
Tackles:51
Goals:4

Knighter you star I disagree with what you were trying to say in that Knights has alot of knockers. Because he does have alot of support too.

People believe that he has alot of potential to be a good player in the afl game. Though crows supporters and I as a cats fan but avid footy watcher believe he must improve in a few areas like his kickig accuracy to step up to the plate and be the best player he can be and they believe he absolutley can be.

He was only picked up down at pick 56 in the 2004 draft because he had serious knee problems. Alot of teams spoke to him and had quite a high opinion of him so ever since he entered the AFL he has had alot of people with high opinions of him too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I very much agree. As a cats supporter i see Knights as i used to view Prismall.
With alot of talent and the ability too good to be wasted in the seconds. Just he needed to step up to the plate and start contributing as a midfielder who can also kick goals and present as a foward option like the best midfielders in our game. (though I must say Prismall belonged to a far harder and tougher midfield and team to break into)

If Knights could learn to kick of his right foot as well with accuracy and confindence and then work on trying to kick more goals and have the confindence to do it.
Chris Knights would then be able to step up and become a valuable member of the Adelaide Crows midfield.

Chris Knights
Knights missed the first six games of 2008 due to a quad injury but returned to become one of Adelaide’s prolific ball winners. In just 16 games he collected 201 kicks and 132 handballs, including a career best 37 possessions in the round 15 loss to Collingwood. It was tough work though for the midfielder, who reached the 50 game milestone against Collingwood, having to put in extra off the field after injury interrupted his progress. "I definitely wanted to improve on my year, so I really had to work a bit harder," Knights said. "I had to get some help off a few players and really turn it around a bit because, while I was going alright, I wasn’t really where I wanted to be."

He credited work with Charlie Walsh as a driving factor behind his steady improvement. "Charlie would set me challenges on the bike that he knew I probably couldn’t achieve from a physical point of view and, as an individual I had to understand that it was okay not to be able to achieve those goals. It teaches you to accept that you can’t do something and then, as a result, you have to change your tactics a little bit, make sure you keep chipping away and doing as best you can without letting it get on top of you."

From the Eastern Ranges, he represented Victoria Metro at the 2003 and 2004 National Bank's AFL Under-18 Championships. Adelaide drafted him at pick No 56 in the 2004 national draft and he made his AFL debut in 2005 after starting the season in the SANFL reserves with Woodville-West Torrens.

Knights reinvents himself as a sharpshooter

June 4, 2009

ACROSS his young career, Adelaide ball-getter Chris Knights has often picked up 30 disposals without being damaging.
But over the past four weeks, Knights has emerged as one of the Crows' most effective players while averaging little more than half that number of disposals.
A switch from midfield to half-forward on return from a facial fracture appears to have been the making of Knights, turning him from a prolific ball-winner with suspect disposal to a near-elite flanker with a marksman's eye for goal.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/knights-now-a-sharpshooter/2009/06/03/1243708507075.html

Yeah! Go Chris Knights, you little rippa!
Anyway...
I reckon Knighta's gunna play a massive role for us in the future. He should be part of the leadership group in a few years.
He has bucket loads of talent and he's only just starting to tap on it. Knighta's ability to rack up the possession's and still kick a couple of goals is great. He could definately be an elite player of the AFL.

CHRIS KNIGHTS
I was wondering what the chances are of him leaving sa. I think he would play the HFF exeptionally in our team. What would he be worth to the adelaide crows??
Not sure if he would be worth our first pick...8-9-10

i would enertain:
Monfries sa boy + 3rd round = knights
2nd round = knights
although i think we would be more inclined to give you our FRP which im noy convinced he is worth

CHRIS KNIGHTS
I was wondering what the chances are of him leaving sa. I think he would play the HFF exeptionally in our team. What would he be worth to the adelaide crows??
Not sure if he would be worth our first pick...8-9-10

i would enertain:
Monfries sa boy + 3rd round = knights
2nd round = knights
although i think we would be more inclined to give you our FRP which im noy convinced he is worth
In this years draft he'd fetch your first rounder.

In a normal draft it'd probs be:

1st rounder + 3rd rounder
Knights + 2nd rounder.

Something like that anyway. I really wish the AFL would introduce the ability to trade picks for future drafts, would complete a whole lot more trades.

My reading on Rendell's thoughts about the 2009 draft is that the 2nd round this year is equivalent in standard to the rookie draft last year. In other words, draft picks outside the first round are almost completely worthless.

From that perspective, we'd take your 1st rounder or a decent player (NOT Monfries) plus a 2nd or 3rd rounder. We're certainly not interested in 2nd/3rd rounders alone and we have no interest in 4th/5th round picks at all as we won't be going that deep into the draft ourselves.

My reading on Rendell's thoughts about the 2009 draft is that the 2nd round this year is equivalent in standard to the rookie draft last year. In other words, draft picks outside the first round are almost completely worthless.

From that perspective, we'd take your 1st rounder or a decent player (NOT Monfries) plus a 2nd or 3rd rounder. We're certainly not interested in 2nd/3rd rounders alone and we have no interest in 4th/5th round picks at all as we won't be going that deep into the draft ourselves.

why not monfries? he was pick 12 or so as a gun midfielder but just cant crack into our mids. With 3 of your mids (goodwin, dewards,mcleod) retiring potentially if not this year the next one monfries would slot straight in.
i would think monfries(who else) + 3rd rounder pick 40 or so would be more than fair.

To the other arguments..the top 8-10 picks will be VERY good players

scully,butcher,lucas,morabito,stevens,panos,martin, cunnington,etc etc will all be very good players POTENTIALLY better than the one dymensional knights so im still not convinced his worth that pick unless his kicing improves drastically

why not monfries? he was pick 12 or so as a gun midfielder but just cant crack into our mids. With 3 of your mids (goodwin, dewards,mcleod) retiring potentially if not this year the next one monfries would slot straight in.
i would think monfries(who else) + 3rd rounder pick 40 or so would be more than fair.

To the other arguments..the top 8-10 picks will be VERY good players

scully,butcher,lucas,morabito,stevens,panos,martin, cunnington,etc etc will all be very good players POTENTIALLY better than the one dymensional knights so im still not convinced his worth that pick unless his kicing improves drastically
So.. he's not good enough to play in your midfield - but he should slot straight into ours? Right.....

Goody & Macca don't spend a lot of time in our midfield these days anyway, mostly playing in defence. Our midfield is actually quite full of youngsters, most of whom are better than Monfries, with Edwards being almost the only exception.

Pick 40 is worthless, such is the nature of the 2009 draft. It doesn't sweeten the deal in the slightest. Another year and you might have had some interest, but not this year. Make it Monfries and your 2nd pick and I'd consider it, but we're probably both better off sticking with our current assets.

Fact of the matter is that I rate him similar to Douglas, which isn't particularly highly. Neither of them are good enough to play particularly well as midfielders and neither have the flair necessary to make it as small forwards. They're both caught in no-man's land.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back