Delisted Daniel Markworth

Remove this Banner Ad

It was his 20m time that stood out, 2.89, which placed him equal sixth, but only 0.03 sec from first

For comparison this year's results:

20 metre sprint results (seconds) 2014
Code:
Marvin Baynham     2.81
Oleg Markov        2.87
Jarrod Pickett     2.87
Reece McKenzie     2.87
Connor Menadue     2.88
Nakia Cockatoo     2.90
Ed Langdon         2.92
Paddy Brophy       2.93
Conor McKenna      2.93
Nathan Drummond    2.93

Markworth's repeat sprint results also distinguished him
(it's worth noting that Ahmed Saad finished first in both the 20m and repeat sprint events that season).

Repeat sprints (seconds) 2012

RankTotal Time (seconds)Name
1 23.64 Ahmed Saad
2 23.79 Lachlan Delgleish
3 23.82 Devon Smith
4 23.87 Matthew Haynes
5 24.23 Shannon Taylor
6 24.31 Daniel Markworth
7 24.34 Jed Bews
8 24.35 Liam Sumner
9 24.38 Luke Brown
10 24.49 Brad Hill

Comparison with this year's result

Repeat sprint results (seconds) 2014
Code:
Nakia Cockatoo         23.93
Nathan Drummond        23.95
Daniel Nielson         23.99
Daniel McKenzie        24.02
Ed Langdon             24.06
Oleg Markov            24.14
Connor Menadue         24.14
Conor McKenna          24.16
Matthew Goodyear       24.49
Jack Hiscox            24.36

Last edited:

I saw him in the city around six months ago and he is definitely taller than 189cm. I'm around 190cm and he was taller than me.

Want the guy to succeed. Looks like he's too late to football though imo. Blicavs might make it because he can play ruck. But DM will need to be a good user of the footy & have good footy smarts if he's to play wing or HF. Don't see that he has that unfortunately. My two cents only.

Of all our players yet to debut i'm most excited and pumped about Dan Markworth. (Pumped for them all of course though!)

Bring on 2015 and hopefully the bad luck is behind him!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Want the guy to succeed. Looks like he's too late to football though imo. Blicavs might make it because he can play ruck. But DM will need to be a good user of the footy & have good footy smarts if he's to play wing or HF. Don't see that he has that unfortunately. My two cents only.
Is that opinion by watching him play at Sandy?

The games that I've seen would suggest his ball use is very good. If anything it was the physicality of the game that Dan needed to improve ( which is understandable coming off an ACL).

Agree with Manimal, I'm very bullish about DM & what he can do in 2015.

The games that I've seen would suggest his ball use is very good. If anything it was the physicality of the game that Dan needed to improve ( which is understandable coming off an ACL).

Good point.
Some players react differently when coming back from an ACL. Can sometimes take a yr till they feel 100% comfortable again.
Then sometimes if your not running with your usual stride/gait because your not comfortable with the knee it can trigger other problems with straining other leg muscles.
This kid just needs a bit of luck & a bit of confidence. Would be great if he could get a couple of runs in the Nab pre season games.

Only in highlights on the Saints website and his drafting vid. I'm over in Adelaide, so haven't seen him live.

Could be well and truly way off. He looks so unnatural with ball in hand, as if disposing of a football was 3rd or 4th nature.

But, my opinion is limited to a few vids.

Very outside player... He is prone to Gilbert/Steven like decisions. Is tall, but plays short.

But
Very fast acceleration, and Moves very well in traffic....

Only in highlights on the Saints website and his drafting vid. I'm over in Adelaide, so haven't seen him live.

Could be well and truly way off. He looks so unnatural with ball in hand, as if disposing of a football was 3rd or 4th nature.

But, my opinion is limited to a few vids.
I have a very good feeling about Dan & what he can bring the senior side. Just need to get games under his belt now...the decision making will come with experience.

I think he would have played plenty of footy this year if Watters had stayed on.

He's not a bad user of the ball, but sometimes doesn't slow down and compose himself before kicking… skills-wise very good though.

Fingers crossed he can stay injury free, not easy to find players with his combination of size/speed/skill.

Another injury riddled year would be the end.

It's easy to get impatient, but it's worth baring in mind that he has only had 1.5 seasons worth of VFL games in his 3 years so far. A full year with a knee & that high hammy last year has really cruelled his chances of playing at AFL level so far.

Last edited:
Good point.
Some players react differently when coming back from an ACL. Can sometimes take a yr till they feel 100% comfortable again.
Then sometimes if your not running with your usual stride/gait because your not comfortable with the knee it can trigger other problems with straining other leg muscles.
This kid just needs a bit of luck & a bit of confidence. Would be great if he could get a couple of runs in the Nab pre season games.
This was very well said. This is exactly right. He's got all the potential. Skills, speed, good hands. Just needs to regain back that confidence to fight back other injuries. He's going to very, very very good if he can stay injury free. He's class

He is what 22-23yo and on zero games? So coming from a fair way back if it takes 50 games to adjust to afl footy. That takes him to 25. So 2015 or bust.

Excellent athletic attributes. But question marks over footy smarts and resilience. Clearly hes at the cross roads. Like most above - Id love to see the kid finally emerge in 2015.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back