Past David Ellard

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks TRP. I'm really hoping that he is right to go this weekend, as he has been looking good out there. I guess if he doesn't come up though, we'll probably give McLean another shot, which I am happy to do as well.

Has been a very important and underrated player to our side these past few weeks. I am becoming quite the fan of this kid. The pressure he applies is great, the way he runs all day and the way he just keeps presenting is a huge improvement.

Not to mention his 3 goals yesterday. Definitely in our best 22:thumbsu:

No longer on the injury list, meaning he's available for selection.

Was very impressive throughout the preseason and had it not been for unfortunate timing, may have found his way into the senior side for round 1.

I don't expect to see him in the senior side straight up, rather he'll need to force his way up through the VFL, but I'm looking forward to seeing him push his case for selection in the coming weeks.

Don't be surprised to see him in the senior side at some stage, probably sooner rather than later. Has his deficiencies but is a real goer which I think appeals to MM. If he can recapture some good form he's just another option we have at our disposal to play through the middle of the ground. Augers well for our depth and our prospects in 2013.

The Grunt Match Report - Rd 2

David Ellard was impressive in his first match since a hamstring complaint a month ago, finishing with 20 touches and three goals floating across the wing and half forward.

The Grunt Match Report - Rd 2

First game back from injury for Davey and he looks to have continued the good form he was in prior to succumbing to injury.

Being named in the best players and kicking 3 goals first up is a great effort.

He's the exact type of player that Mick will love and I think he'll be back in the senior side before too long. Probably not this week against the Eagles but stranger things have happened.

The Grunt Match Report - Rd 3

In just his second game if the season, David Ellard was at his damaging best, amassing 23 touches and four goals as the Blues won their third match from as many starts in 2013.

The Grunt Match Report - Rd 3

Another strong performance from Davey in the VFL sees him well and truly banging on the door for senior selection.

43 touches and 7 goals in the opening two games of the season after a hamstring injury restricted his preseason preparation, is a fantastic effort. Clearly looks to now be a class above VFL level.

He's going to be very hard to ignore at selection. May well see him in the senior side as early as this week.

Could he be called up for Simmo?

No doubt he can be called up into the senior squad. I expect that to happen sooner rather than later, possibly even this week against Adelaide.

However that won't be at the expense of Simpson. Kade has had a slow start to the season, but as they say - form is temporary; class is permanent. Works as hard as anyone out on the field so expect him to turn it around. Put in an improved performance against West Coast on Saturday night so that might be the start of things improving for him.

Blokes a freak?
easily in our best 22

Don't think Ellard is in our best 22, but certainly had he not been struck down by injury earlier in the season he'd have more than 2 senior games next to his name.

Some believe his time to be up but I'm not so sure on that front. He's a terrier who leaves everything he has out on the park and in many respects that's exactly what we lack.

MM is clearly a fan as well, so all things considered I'd be somewhat surprised should he not be on our list next year, but it does depend on how deep the list is to be cut at the end of the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't think Ellard is in our best 22, but certainly had he not been struck down by injury earlier in the season he'd have more than 2 senior games next to his name.

Some believe his time to be up but I'm not so sure on that front. He's a terrier who leaves everything he has out on the park and in many respects that's exactly what we lack.

MM is clearly a fan as well, so all things considered I'd be somewhat surprised should he not be on our list next year, but it does depend on how deep the list is to be cut at the end of the season.

100% agree with you, but seriously dominated VFL last 2 weeks, deserves a chance before getting delisted.

100% agree with you, but seriously dominated VFL last 2 weeks, deserves a chance before getting delisted.

He does deserve an opportunity, and with Brock unlikely to fully recover from his injury, I think that opportunity will come his way on Saturday afternoon.

yeah lets replace one of the few blokes that shows heart and balls and replace him with yet another marshmallow-good call
I guess he doesn't have a pretty hair cut to make it in the AFL

Eager Ellard ready for 2014
"I have to make sure I have enough strings to my bow to play multiple roles because I don't want to be considered as just a tagger or an inside mid," Ellard said.

"I've got to make sure that I can adapt to playing up forward, through the midfield, out on a wing, anywhere the coach sees fit.

"I've got to be able to adapt to whatever the coaching staff throw at me on game day. If I don't, I won't play many games."

"Even when I start in attack I sort of play a bit higher forward than closer to goal," he said.

"But I try to take every opportunity that I get because it's really important to hit the scoreboard when you can.

"As I said, it's all part of having other strings to your bow."
Eager Ellard ready for 2014

Should be in the mix to replace Betts as a forward who can go into the midfield.

great clubman to have on the list. Still not in the best 22 but does all the tough stuff and great depth keeping other honest. club legend, sadly will struggle to get his name on the locker

Seems to have taken Betts' position and is already becoming victim to the shithouse delivery that Eddie used to get.

You know Ellard will bust a gut, but except for short bursts, he spends a lot of the game doing nothing & his lack of pace makes me wonder who would win a 100m sprint between him & McLean. I noticed a number of times yesterday his opponent just running away from him, at one stage quickly getting a 10 metre break, with Ellard just giving up the chase.

In the long run if Ellard is still in our team we will not be making any progress. The real hope is that Temay can string some games together in the VFL & put his name forward as a better option than Ellard. Temay has so much more talent than Ellard that they are not in the same universe.

Can't help but love and admire the way he conducts himself.

He's slow, small & not particularly skilled but one thing you can be sure is that he's hell bent on giving 110% every time he crosses the white line. He's a very limited footballer and he knows it, but he doesn't let it get in the way of doing his best to contribute.

Can run through the middle of the ground and add some grunt, and can also push forward and have an impact on the scoreboard. Certainly knows where the big sticks are and is far from our worst at converting.

Some may say we're in strife if he's a regular, but I disagree. Consistently shows a desperation that few others around him can match. He deserves a senior gig each week until such time as that changes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back