Retired #19: David Hille - Three games short of 200.

Remove this Banner Ad

Continually lagged behind play, would rather Belly just rucked the whole game or Gumby or even Merret went to ruck contests.
well in my opinion he rucked better than belly on the night, what people need to realise is ruckmen need to ruck, you take him out and ask gumby to ruck thats taking him away from playing his forward role and totally upsets the balance of the team and surely your taking the piss with the merrett comment?

of course not, and West is their #2 behind McIntosh. But that's not what this argument is about, stop deflecting

well i reckon the jury would still be out on that considering hank hasnt even played a game for Geelong

well in my opinion he rucked better than belly on the night, what people need to realise is ruckmen need to ruck, you take him out and ask gumby to ruck thats taking him away from playing his forward role and totally upsets the balance of the team and surely your taking the piss with the merrett comment?
Obv the Merret comment was for exaggeration.

Hille is better suited to the smaller Docklands than the MCG. I worry about his effectiveness next week. Fortunately he might only have to account for the lumbering Hudson.

I think its more his opponent than the arena, which is why I expected him to go alright this week. Probably quite lucky we didn't draw any athletic rucks in Paddy's absence.

I thought 'serviceable' is the best description you could have used. St Kilda clearly got on top when Hille was in the middle.. and it was evident that he was not able to keep up around the ground. Hille contested well.. gave Belly a chop out.. and made sure McEvoy was worked over.. that was his job and David did it well.

VERY good 'cover' option and definitely wasn't an embarrassment but there is NO WAY you would consider having Hille in with the other two or instead of the other two. Very clearly now the 'third' option.

Great servant of the club.. true clubman..

I am going to go against the game and call for him to be dropped unless Jolly comes up. Went to the game and he is too lazy or cannot run. In one case St. Kilda lining up for goal. Hille could run the extra 30 meters or so to stand on the goal line and Tayte went to take the opponent. Hille sent him back. The ball dropped short and he wasn't there to contest. Hooker gave him a well deserved spray after.
His ruck work however got better as the game went on, at first seemed to struggle to make it to contest but got used to the faster pace there quickly.

If Hurley gets up should be dropped

If Hurley doesn't get up he'll play. JD shouldn't make his debut in a high-stakes, high-pressure game like ANZAC Day

Shame he'll most likely fall short of 200 career games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shame he'll most likely fall short of 200 career games.

he only needs 5 more games - I reckon the club might help him get there. Couldnt hurt to play him again this week against GWS and then only needs 4 more so should make it (hopefully) as hes been a great servant of the club

Yeah.. I think he might squeeze in 5 games this year. Unlikely that TBell will play all 22.. and Ryder will probably get a rest for a game at some stage..

200 games would be a good result. Shame injuries and a poor team robbed Hille of a chance to become an elite ruck man. Early signs were good but lost his best years with the injuries and hard to shine in a team getting pumped everyweek.

I like Hille. But I seriously doubt he had it in him to become an elite ruckman. He took a long time to have a really good season (but wasn't AA), assuming they'd all have been like that after the knee injury might be a bit much.

Hille is better suited to the smaller Docklands than the MCG. I worry about his effectiveness next week. Fortunately he might only have to account for the lumbering Hudson.
Agreed. Should have had his M.C.G. papers stamped in the final against Carlton when Robbie Warnock put him
to the sword... Probably could stake claim to being the best 3rd string ruckman in the league though.

Has been pretty serviceable this season with occasion flashes of his best. Love ya, big guy!

Was watching St Kilda v Essendon from 2010 last night and he kicked 4, was dominating in the forward light. Vintage Hilley

Did some nice things today. Will make way for Ryder. I could see Bellchambers being rested at some stage, at which Hille comes back in.

was painful to watch yesterday. it took him 7 centuries to pick the ball up, do a half turn and snap at the goals from 10 meters out...... and miss for a behind.

was painful to watch yesterday. it took him 7 centuries to pick the ball up, do a half turn and snap at the goals from 10 meters out...... and miss for a behind.
Yeah, spot on. Shocking game from Hille because he got rid of his player easier than he realised, then turned around too slowly in the 2nd quarter at one stage. Should never play again.

I thought Hille struggled in this game (as was expected) because he was up against a more agile opponent. The club gave David a contract so that he could fill gaps for injury/suspension/rotation and he did that just fine. I thought we were a bit top heavy against the Giants but so be it.

Hille will only play if 2 or more talls go down.. I hope they give him the opportunity of a 'known' send off game.. he has been a good servant of EFC.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back