Retired #19: David Hille - Three games short of 200.

Remove this Banner Ad

Farewell big fella, gave great service and was a bloody good player at his best.

I actually wouldn't have minded him playing on for one more, you look around the league and you don't get many better VFL / injury backup ruckman. But I understand he wants to hang em up.

As for the rumours, well I know a young lady who can vouch for quite the opposite, not that it necessarily means much either way. Who gives a s**t, great club servant.

A very solid player for us over the last 10 years. A great clubman and respected highly by many in the club, testament to that being when David was captain filling in for Lloyd. Wish him all the best post-footy.

Thanks David.

Has been unlucky the last couple years that he's had to compete with Bellchambers and Ryder. Still AFL standard IMO.

Anyway, all the best to him. My favourite game of his was sometime in the first half of the last decade when he went up against Darcy at his peak and destroyed him in the ruck and kicked 4 goals.

hopefully we can draft another ruckman and he can add to the big man legacy of Somerville and Hille.

name must end in 'ille'.

You're the draft watcher here, who is it?

Love this bloke. Never forget an interview with the Sunday Inquisition last year where he knew he had opportunities to move to GWS etc., but was determined to stick with the club and do what was best for the club, even if that meant playing this year in the reserves.

Super clubman.

He was so damn athletic, it's a shame that became only a distant memory in the last two years. I have fond memories of him destroying a very good Saints outfit a couple of times up forward.

Very good player at his peak. If not for Bellchambers being given a bunch of 'development' games he would have easily played 200. Might even still play on next year too.

It's a shame that we only really saw him combo with Ryder for a year. They worked well together.

All the best for his future.

View attachment 28351

Genuinely decent person who deserved more success than he ultimately saw.

I remember that game. When Charman went down Hille immediately ran over to make sure he was alright, a genuinely great guy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Champ. Was one of the better guys through those dark years. Shame he did that knee on Anzac Day...

Saw him at Big Day Out once whilst RATM were playing. Tall ruckman is tall.

probably the same year i saw him watching The Presets (when they were underground). had a quick chat and a handshake before i had to excuse myself wit a neck cramp.
was it 2008? the year he was captain?

all the best Fridge!

Was a player who took a while to come good, as most big men do, then after becoming one of the best ruckmen in the league did his knee in his prime. He came back strong but was never quite as good as pre-knee.

He's been a magnificent servant of the club and I wish him well post football.

Glad someone posted that Charman photo, that's the one thing I always remember him for.

That, and his 3 last quarter goals against Melbourne in that elimination final

A rare highlight in what was a dark decade for the club.

Immense respect David Hille, your service to the club will not be forgotten.

Yup. Like I said, he deserved more success than he was a part of.

Top bloke! Remember him beating Cox on a few occasions, loved him for that.
Better than a few team's first ruckman, thanks for staying on Hilley!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back