Past player - David O'Connell (1988-1990)

Remove this Banner Ad

David O’Connell

DOB: 22/6/1963

Height: 193 cm

Weight: 89 kg

Playing number: 21

Arrived: Signed from Claremont at the end of the 1987 season.

Debut: Round 15, 1988 vs Geelong – 41st Eagles player

Games: 27

Goals: 6

Departed: Traded to Fitzroy at the end of the 1990 season with Joe Cormack and pick 78 (Dean Harding) for Dale Kickett, pick 69 (Gavan Cooney) and pick 83 (Mark Williams).

The brother of inaugural squad member Michael O’Connell, David played in Claremont’s 1987 premiership before joining his brother at West Coast.

The younger O’Connell was an athletic key position player who could pinch hit in the ruck. He made his debut late in 1988 and played 7 games for the year, including the historic first final. His most consistent season came in 1989 when he played 18 games, backing up Phil Scott in the ruck and finishing 10th in the Club Champion award.

After playing just two games under Mick Malthouse in 1990, O’Connell was traded to Fitzroy along with Joe Cormack. He played 21 games with the Lions in two seasons.

Wow - that trade was just one big pile of mediocrity wasn't it? (This was before Dale Kickett became consistent and less hot-headed)

Was never a fan of O'Connell. Was a much bigger fan of his brother and took it out on David because his brother stopped playing for us.

You do weird things as a kid, I know.

Wow - that trade was just one big pile of mediocrity wasn't it? (This was before Dale Kickett became consistent and less hot-headed)

Might have been better if the Mark Williams we drafted had been the future Hawthorn premiership player and not some random guy from country Victoria.

Interested in Eagle87 's recollections

Might have been better if the Mark Williams we drafted had been the future Hawthorn premiership player and not some random guy from country Victoria.

Interested in Eagle87 's recollections

The 2 O'Connells were interesting players. David was less talented in my opinion but also seemed less likely to break out a bong at half time ...

To be honest I found both of them frustrating. David was an average player with just ok football ability and wasn't quite good enough either as a ruckman or a KP forward. He also had a penchant for the sort of inexplicable skill/brain errors that we saw from J Watts on the weekend when attempting that chest mark.

Michael was more frustrating because he had the size and pace to be a decent flanker - and he played some good footy - but was prone to more brain farts than just about anyone that's ever played at our club.

The 2 O'Connells were interesting players. David was less talented in my opinion but also seemed less likely to break out a bong at half time ...

To be honest I found both of them frustrating. David was an average player with just ok football ability and wasn't quite good enough either as a ruckman or a KP forward. He also had a penchant for the sort of inexplicable skill/brain errors that we saw from J Watts on the weekend when attempting that chest mark.

Michael was more frustrating because he had the size and pace to be a decent flanker - and he played some good footy - but was prone to more brain farts than just about anyone that's ever played at our club.

Michael O'Connell gets points for his 5 goals versus the Cats at Kardinia Park in our Round 1 win over them in 1988.

Plus - he also booted 8 goals in a practice match against Melbourne in 1988. That match is the answer to a never-to-be-asked trivia question. What was the first WA team to win a football match at the MCG? Answer - the 1988 West Coast Eagles. I don't care that it was a practice match. Dammit, I'm counting it.

Sorry David O'Connell... I've derailed your thread with talk about your brother.

Michael O'Connell gets points for his 5 goals versus the Cats at Kardinia Park in our Round 1 win over them in 1988.

Plus - he also booted 8 goals in a practice match against Melbourne in 1988. That match is the answer to a never-to-be-asked trivia question. What was the first WA team to win a football match at the MCG? Answer - the 1988 West Coast Eagles. I don't care that it was a practice match. Dammit, I'm counting it.

Sorry David O'Connell... I've derailed your thread with talk about your brother.

And therein lies the issue with Michaels career. Undoubted talent but was also just as likely to have 2 bounces and then stab pass the ball to an opponent who was 50m from an Eagles player ....

David just didn't have much talent ....

PS: Didn't Michael spend a considerable period in Broome "painting" post football?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

And therein lies the issue with Michaels career. Undoubted talent but was also just as likely to have 2 bounces and then stab pass the ball to an opponent who was 50m from an Eagles player ....

David just didn't have much talent ....

PS: Didn't Michael spend a considerable period in Broome "painting" post football?

You might be right about that.

Do you know why both Michael and David (like their Dad, John) played for Claremont in the WAFL while their brother Peter played for Perth?

I'm guessing it has something to do with the opportunities available at Perth in the early-to-mid 80s as opposed to Mossy's Tigers, but wasn't sure.

You might be right about that.

Do you know why both Michael and David (like their Dad, John) played for Claremont in the WAFL while their brother Peter played for Perth?

I'm guessing it has something to do with the opportunities available at Perth in the early-to-mid 80s as opposed to Mossy's Tigers, but wasn't sure.

I don't know. But I'll make some enquiries and if I can add anything i shall ...

Pretty sure David never thought he was any better than what he really was, and after finishing at Fitzroy, played a scratchie or two with Prahran in the VFA, but pulled the pin before seasons start, pretty sure just did not have the passion, plus his workload was increasing. One thing I know,is he is a fantastic bloke, a trait of all the O'Connell family

Remove this Banner Ad

Back