Delisted #20: Henry Slattery - Leaving to "pursue other opportunities"

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 20. Henry Slattery

True. His kicking was way, way off. I thought Slatts actually had a couple of nice touches - about our only quality delivery to a lead - and was unlucky not to get the free when he got whacked around the head.

I was going to say that I thought Hibberd improved towards the end, but then I remembered it was just that he didn't kick it out of bounds on the full. That was an improvement.

I know it sounds horrible, but I really don't want to see Slattery get to 100 games. And yeah, I know how many he needs. It's less about watching him play and more about not having to use him. That would be nice.

Slatts' biggest weakness last year was that he offered nothing offensively. Based on yesterday's performance he's clearly been working on that and improved quite a bit.

If he's pushing for selection because he's defending and attacking, it's just more strength in depth.

Lord Nich, do agree.
Would be better if he had 3-4 more, then we could just play him GWS & GC and get him over the line.
Good footballing bloodstock IIRC, at least a couple of his brothers play/played SANFL.

Ben - agree. That was supposedly the knock, and it did look improved.

True. His kicking was way, way off. I thought Slatts actually had a couple of nice touches - about our only quality delivery to a lead - and was unlucky not to get the free when he got whacked around the head.

No he wasn't....seriously, go to the afl.com.au and watch it again.

I watched it about 4 times trying to see ANY contact to the side of his face/upper jaw that he was clutching, and no contact was made at all.

And what's worse is that the West Coast player who crumbed the mark that Slattery had dropped was close enough for him to tackle or at least get close to and pressure....yet Hank decided to pretend he'd been hit instead.

Yes he did kick that one ball well to a target inside 50, but the incident you speak of was one of about 4 bad decisions that Hank made that resulted in an opposition shot on goal.

Again, go back and have a close look before anyone responds, and you'll see clearly that no contact was made to where he was holding - if this was soccer he should be red carded for faking, but being afl he should at very least be grilled by the coaching staff as to why he gave away the goal by dropping the mark and then not applying pressure to a man 2m away from him.

Dropping a mark you should take is one thing, but failing to apply pressure afterwards is unacceptable.

Again, go back and have a close look before anyone responds, and you'll see clearly that no contact was made to where he was holding - if this was soccer he should be red carded for faking, but being afl he should at very least be grilled by the coaching staff as to why he gave away the goal by dropping the mark and then not applying pressure to a man 2m away from him.

Yeah, saw this. If anything he got a whack on the other side of the noggin.

Yeah, saw this. If anything he got a whack on the other side of the noggin.

The free kick was there.. but nothing to go to ground for and drop the mark.. his done.. how's his endurance? Should just play him as a tagger for Bendigo... he ain't much of a small defender..

AFL don't have the slow-mo or close-up that Fox showed.
There was fair contact to the side of his head on the slow-mo, can't tell on the AFL replay as it's from miles off on the wrong side. The bloke had a fair swing at it and you can't see that arm on the AFL website.

While it was preseason, his total lack of ability to monitor and manage his opponent was on full display. Made some terrible decisions, but was not alone.

He is surely gone at seasons end along with the other chaff on the list that needs to go.

sadly though, he still could get a contract extension simply because we are so crap at the lock down defender. Many have commented we drafted too many hbf'ers. I think it is obvious that the coaching panel has little faith in our existing small backmen and is trying to find a winner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was fair contact to the side of his head on the slow-mo, can't tell on the AFL replay as it's from miles off on the wrong side. The bloke had a fair swing at it and you can't see that arm on the AFL website.

Do they need slow-mo. That was such a blatant smack in the head. A free kick is a free kick. Unfortunately competency is not a word we use often with umpires.

Had to also laugh at the knee (foot) point (that was a goal). Irrespective of the goal umpire being crap, since when is it ok to push a bloke in the back (with your hand is squarely in the middle of his back)? All the commentaotrs went on about was the review, but none of them had any brains to mention the blatant push. What's worse is WC a few minutes later got a free for something less obvious.

The one where Monfries got utterly taken out in the forward pocket. Monfries getting some rubbish free kick when he tripped over and a bloke fell on him. Someone (Davis? Hibberd?) getting a free kick for running into 2 blokes when he didn't have the ball. The knee-kick. Slatts' free kick.

They struggled. Badly.

One I do need clarification on, the handball from a metre behind the line, back into play - isn't that a point?

The one where Monfries got utterly taken out in the forward pocket. Monfries getting some rubbish free kick when he tripped over and a bloke fell on him. Someone (Davis? Hibberd?) getting a free kick for running into 2 blokes when he didn't have the ball. The knee-kick. Slatts' free kick.

They struggled. Badly.

One I do need clarification on, the handball from a metre behind the line, back into play - isn't that a point?

Would assume over the mark it is ok. No different to a kick.

What I don't get is how players don't have to kick/handball over the man on the mark and clearly deviate sideways yet to do not get called for it.

Glass's deliberate was another pearler - he was pushed and knocked the ball fwd int he process.

Umpires are rusty. Sad thing is - they don't ever blow off the cobwebs. Mentally weak clowns that just umpire based on the crowd.

Would assume over the mark it is ok. No different to a kick.
I very much doubt the line was drawn behind the goals.

This is the one where there was a long kick to the square, mark taken "on" (we'll go with that) the goal line, and the WCE bloke (Masten?) just handballed it back into play - from behind the goals - to a bloke who kicked it from 1m out.

I thought the afl site was just a steam of what the tv showed the day before??

Anyways you'll just have to trust myself and Lord Nic - it was a clumsy attemt to spoil and for mine was line ball for a free as contact was certainly made to the neck moreso than the head (and it was actually a fraction after Slatts had already dropped the mark), but ZERO contact was made to where Hank was holding.

Basically it was clear that he pretending to be hurt so he could get a free kick, rather than make up for the dropped mark and actually put pressure on the guy 1-2m away who was trying to straighten up for a shot on goal.

A goal to West Coast was the end result of Hank's poor decision. :thumbsdown:

I very much doubt the line was drawn behind the goals.

This is the one where there was a long kick to the square, mark taken "on" (we'll go with that) the goal line, and the WCE bloke (Masten?) just handballed it back into play - from behind the goals - to a bloke who kicked it from 1m out.

Yeh saw the same & still don't know how the hell that is play on as that handball looked clearly behind the line so if he plays on from there it must be a point:confused: - & no-one questioned it so my guess is nobody had a clue as to the correct ruling, including the umps

They struggled. Badly.

I agree the umpires had a stinky day and that unfortunately we often didn't get the rub of the green.

Jake Melksham at one stage was in the middle of a pack and the ball bounced into his hands and was instantly tackled to the ground....it was payed as if he dived on it, but he was actually standing when he recieved it and had it pinned with no prior opportunity.

Myers had at one point beaten his opponent (who had gone to ground) and was about to run off with a loose ball get when he was tackled before he took possession - this caused him to go to ground as he took the ball and was tackled an pinned for holding the ball....terrible call.

....and the handball from behind the goals i'm pretty sure is okay as long as it goes somewhat over the man on the mark, and the player hasn't moved off his line in the proccess.....i do however stand to be corrected on that one.....

Anyways you'll just have to trust myself and Lord Nic - it was a clumsy attemt to spoil and for mine was line ball for a free as contact was certainly made to the neck moreso than the head (and it was actually a fraction after Slatts had already dropped the mark), but ZERO contact was made to where Hank was holding.
What does the ball and/or mark have to do with it? Just interested.

....and the handball from behind the goals i'm pretty sure is okay as long as it goes somewhat over the man on the mark, and the player hasn't moved off his line in the proccess.....i do however stand to be corrected on that one.....
The man on the mark would've been on the goal line.

He was definitely not "behind" - as in, going towards goals - him, since he was in the 3rd row of the stands.

He's shocking overhead and always has been; he's a pretty bloody good stopper man-on-man at ground level and always has been, and he's a decent enough but not damaging kick. THE END.

I don't know why they keep isolating him on guys who will do him in the air. Just about all his best form has been playing 60m+ out from goal and absolutely all of his worst form has been isolated in the goal square one-out with the ball kicked up high.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back