Jumper No: 29
Height: 195
Weight: 90
DOB: 24/02/1989
Drafted at: Pick 14, 2006 ND.
Recruited From: Glenelg(SANFL)
Contracted until: End of 2008.

About
James Sellar, earmarked as an early draft pick a year before the 2006 NAB Draft, endured a nervous countdown when the draft arrived. But the good news about being overlooked by some AFL clubs was that it gave Adelaide the opportunity to pounce on the promising 195cm ruckman/forward with its first selection at No 14. “I was over the moon ... I’m a pretty big Crows fan and to see my name called out by the Crows, it’s a wonderful opportunity and I’m rapt,” said Sellar. “If I was writing a script and could choose where I wanted to go I would have chosen this, so someone is looking after me. It’s fantastic that I get to stay home … I guess that makes the transition a lot easier. But there’s still a lot of hard work to be done and I’m looking forward to getting into it.” Sellar, who played eight SANFL league games for Glenelg in 2006, spent a week with the Crows in 2005 as part of the AIS program. He does not turn 18 until March 24 this year. He has played most of his junior footy in the ruck but in the AFL probably will develop into a key forward or defender. Sellar won the Kevin Sheehan Medal at the 2005 national under 16 championships and played international rules for Australia U17 against Ireland. He also made an outstanding league debut, kicking four goals in the first half. But leading into the 2006 national under 18 championships he was struck down by food poisoning. He lost 8kg in the 10 days before the carnival and he says he played three of the worst games of his junior career. “You won't hear any excuses from me," Sellar said. “Once you put your hand up to play you are expected to perform, and I didn't.” Sellar chose football ahead of a volleyball career. He captained South Australia's under-17 volleyball team at the 2005 national championships, got picked in the All-Australian team and was treated like a movie star when he travelled to Taiwan with the national under-19 side for the world youth championships.

Bio Links:
http://afc.com.au/Season2007/Player...layerId/15505/teamId/40/typeId/2/Default.aspx
http://au.sports.yahoo.com/afl/clubs/adelaide/10/james-sellar/250418

Pre Draft Articles:
http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,20673259-21543,00.html
http://about.theage.com.au/view_award.asp?intid=154

Post Draft Articles
http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,21138592-12428,00.html

Colin Wisbey Pre Draft Synopsis

195cm skilled, well-built footballer with athleticism, smarts, hands, disposal. Flaky '06, intensity query but you don't physically lose what he had displayed prior. Very bottom-age. I'm prepared to virtually ignore '06 as he apparently had to endure various on and off-field difficulties. In the '04 and '05 U16 Champs, I considered him even more impressive than Gibbs.

Started 2006 as #1 in my rankings (Gibbs #2). In the end, Gibbs' performances were just so compelling, and without the queries that Sellar's '06 form raised, that I had to slip Sellar behind but I dropped off him only marginally. Even in his "disappointing" '06, he kicked 4g in 1st half of his 1st SANFL Seniors game (as CHF!), beat the highly rated Gumbleton as CHB, and averaged 17 disposals in the U18 Champs. (How many 195cm types, let alone any who had just lost 8kg through illness, do that in any U18 Champs?). By comparison, we were all quite satisfied with the Champs form of Gumbleton, Hansen and Leunberger, and they averaged 15, 13, and 11 disposals respectively and Sellar's disposal was the best of the lot. He even had 15d in just the 2nd 1/2 of one Champs game (albeit as virtually a loose wingman). Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater. He did NOT have a disappointing year for a bottom-age 195cm kid, even a highly rated one. He just had a disappointing year for Sellar, based on our expectations of him specifically.

Why did we have such high expectations? Because of the talent he had shown over a 2 year period prior to that. I suspect he has a personal issue to conquer but I would have taken him on the assumption that he can, such is his upside. Should be very versatile but especially has the makings of an outstanding CHB (although his preference is CHF). An exciting, and rare, combination of not only leap, 195cm, marking strength, defensive and negating skills, cool head and smarts but, importantly, the pace and confidence to give regular run and linking out of defence and roost the ball long to a target. I foresee him regularly turning defence into goal-scoring opportunities. I also think he is more suited to the straight ahead aspects of CHB than the "stop/start" of CHF.

Excellent ruck skills and could well be a good AFL ruckman/follower a la Goodes (without the freakishness), despite being only 195cm, as he has such a big leap and athleticism and he seems to enjoy ruck contests. Has virtually all the attributes of a modern CHF also and I do rate him highly in that role. Makes the right decisions. Good evasion. Good vision and disposal (including depth), even on the run. Good hurt factors. Trademarks are (1) Fluency - in everything. (Always looks to be doing every action "on the bit", effortlessly). (2) One-grab mark, positioning and timing well, then either a quick, accurate feed or immediately run off his opponent and do a fluent, long, probably accurate kick. (3) Run to link, moving with arms stiff and hanging down, seemingly moving in slow motion until you notice the opponent struggling to keep up.

Re: #29 - James Sellar

Van Berlo once mentioned that he didn't like the shirt James was wearing. It will be years before he emotionally recovers.

Maybe he would be better served by playing at CHB for the Bays. That way he can get a feel for what is required from him and would fast track his education to play good footy as a CHF. This way he will always be near the footy and he would be more accountable.

Could we see the real James Sellar next year? The one that we saw in 2006...was he playing injured throughout the whole off year?

My guess is yes..yes he was. He's being eased back into it now on the bikes and so on, I gotta funny feeling that he will explode next year.

Update via Neil Craig:

Jimmy has groin soreness and won't be back into full training until Christmas.

Neil expects Jimmy to take the next step next year, which is a good sign.

sounds like it.

he definetely had OP throughout 07, however, the AFC denied it, hence why everyone was on his back.

the result of being flogged in the pre season IMO.

i guess the AFC should have realised that flogging a 17 year old who is still growing quite rapidly because he is not as fit as NvB is sometimes not the right way to go about it.

hopefully james gets the right treatment he needs the PS, and afc learns from their mistake with james in relation to this years and future draftees.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

sounds like it.

he definetely had OP throughout 07, however, the AFC denied it, hence why everyone was on his back.

the result of being flogged in the pre season IMO.

i guess the AFC should have realised that flogging a 17 year old who is still growing quite rapidly because he is not as fit as NvB is sometimes not the right way to go about it.

hopefully james gets the right treatment he needs the PS, and afc learns from their mistake with james in relation to this years and future draftees.

Didn't they quote as much recently? The initial week with new recruits is about assessing their fitness levels and programming because they recognize not all are as fit at vB or Dougie.

OP, if that is what this is, is a big issue, and its complicated. Not sure that it is fair to suggest AFC is responsible by pushing some 'one size fits all' program.

Didn't they quote as much recently? The initial week with new recruits is about assessing their fitness levels and programming because they recognize not all are as fit at vB or Dougie.

OP, if that is what this is, is a big issue, and its complicated. Not sure that it is fair to suggest AFC is responsible by pushing some 'one size fits all' program.
They pushed James Sellar too much.

Can't deny that.

He's had or still has OP.
Lets hope it goes away...you all saw what happened to Luke Ball over the last two years...he is a GUN...better than Bartel & Ablett when he's fit...now he's long forgotten, OP is serious and players shouldn't be playing with it.

Hope he gets over it, he'll be a star.

Can't deny that.
And how do we know this for a fact?!

We can assume but assumptions is mother of all **** ups!

We as a club have always been responsible in this manner. We have always tailored programs to fit certain cases. Now kids themselves come in eager to impress and put their name up for considerations and to do that, they try to push themselves that little bit harder to impress and thats when things like this happen. Maybe James just wanted to impress so much that he pushed himself to the limit and his body broke down. Maybe the club did overtrain him. None of us know for certain whats the story here but I am willing to back in our fitness department here because they are all world class.

And how do we know this for a fact?!

We can assume but assumptions is mother of all **** ups!

We as a club have always been responsible in this manner. We have always tailored programs to fit certain cases. Now kids themselves come in eager to impress and put their name up for considerations and to do that, they try to push themselves that little bit harder to impress and thats when things like this happen. Maybe James just wanted to impress so much that he pushed himself to the limit and his body broke down. Maybe the club did overtrain him. None of us know for certain whats the story here but I am willing to back in our fitness department here because they are all world class.

I would say that that program was the start, since it was basically at that stage that Sellars groin problems began - played one game for the Crows against the Demons down in Gambier, pulled up sore, was rested a little, played for Glenelg pre season, pulled up sore, rested a little, played his first league game for the year against Sturt in rd 2, kicked a goal but definetely wasn't 100% (remember watching him), he then missed 6 weeks with groin problems.

This was the stage that the Crows came out and emphatically denied he had OP, however towards the end of 2007 season they came out and admitted he had OP.

He was in and out of the league and ressies side ever since, playing Glenelgs first final, but once again wasn't 100% and missed the rest of the series (which turned out to be 1 more game for Glenelg).

Now, 2 things.

1: The club either lied to us, and/or don't know how to diagnose or recognise OP.

and

2: Even when they did admit he had OP, why did he keep playing? He had nothing to gain, everything to lose in regards to his playing future, so surely a player who the Crows would love to build their side around would be exempt to properly recover from an injury that can potentially ruin careers (see Luke Ball as someone mentioned above).

Also note how the Crows are taking it easy with him now, albeit a little too late.

So with all these coincidences, both in timing and the clubs public acknowledgement of James' injuries, I'm fairly sure, without being 100% certain, I can form a decent argument/opinion that James was pushed a little too hard in PS.

Edit: Oh and another coincidence. Two new players that are the same age as Sellar was (bottom age 17) have both done soft tissue injuries when coming into the much tougher regimes at the AFC.

PS, just looking at that photo of him almost 1 year on, he looks a LOT more trim and footy ready now.

He's DEFINETELY done some work over the break. I saw him out running while driving past once, and given Neil Craig is now starting to mention his name in contention for a place next year, I would say he's now taken a professional approach to his training and got up to speed.

Good luck to the big fella. :thumbsu:

Whilst the club has to look into these early soft tissue injuries as they may be pushing the youngsters too hard, it is also possible, as has been mentioned earlier, that the young blokes are pushing themselves too hard to try and impress, whilst not warming up and down properly perhaps. However there is also an onus on the adelaide footy club to watch this and ensure these blokes don't push themselves too hard.

Can't deny that.

clearly i can...i just did;)

Seriously, we don't even know what injury he was suffering all last year, he came to the cub with poor fitness, was pretty red faced about it and may have pushed himself over the line after the media attention. To many unknown's to make a judgement IMHO.

I would say that that program was the start, since it was basically at that stage that Sellars groin problems began - played one game for the Crows against the Demons down in Gambier, pulled up sore, was rested a little, played for Glenelg pre season, pulled up sore, rested a little, played his first league game for the year against Sturt in rd 2, kicked a goal but definetely wasn't 100% (remember watching him), he then missed 6 weeks with groin problems.

This was the stage that the Crows came out and emphatically denied he had OP, however towards the end of 2007 season they came out and admitted he had OP.

He was in and out of the league and ressies side ever since, playing Glenelgs first final, but once again wasn't 100% and missed the rest of the series (which turned out to be 1 more game for Glenelg).

Now, 2 things.

1: The club either lied to us, and/or don't know how to diagnose or recognise OP.

and

2: Even when they did admit he had OP, why did he keep playing? He had nothing to gain, everything to lose in regards to his playing future, so surely a player who the Crows would love to build their side around would be exempt to properly recover from an injury that can potentially ruin careers (see Luke Ball as someone mentioned above).

Also note how the Crows are taking it easy with him now, albeit a little too late.

So with all these coincidences, both in timing and the clubs public acknowledgement of James' injuries, I'm fairly sure, without being 100% certain, I can form a decent argument/opinion that James was pushed a little too hard in PS.

Edit: Oh and another coincidence. Two new players that are the same age as Sellar was (bottom age 17) have both done soft tissue injuries when coming into the much tougher regimes at the AFC.
Its not the first time and it certainly won't be the last time an AFL club has been telling porkies. It goes with the territory.

Now, I don't see anything wrong with them trying to get the lad fit. We have done it in the past with youngsters and they handled it well. Sellar is slightly different but its not like we are out to destroy his career. We have nothing to gain with that. We want this kid to succeed BADLY!

Now, Sellar has groin soreness and is on modified porgram at the moment. His groin would have settled down over the time off. What might have happened here is Sellar seeing whats happened with Pfeiffer, Welsh, Hudson et al and then looking at his season last year and saying "Gee 2007 was a bit of a disappointment for me. I need to prime myself up, have a good pre-season, impress the coaches by presenting in good condition and hopefully saving my AFL career". Then HE might have decided to bust his bolier over the time off so he comes back in great shape and put his name right in front of the coaches. He might have worked himself into the ground during the time off and as a result he is suffering from groin soreness. Just as you can put the blame at the club, I could put it somewhere else. Fact is, neither of us knows.

And just on OP, there are different levels of OP. Some OP you can play with and manage and not suffer any long term effects. Other, more serious cases, you need to operate on. Burton, Welsh, Bock and a few other have played with OP in the last few years and it hasn't affected them in the long run.

As I said, we have some of the best fitness staff going around and I am confident in their ability to get the lads fit and tailor the program to fit individual cases. James Sellar will be better in the long run for it.

Whilst the club has to look into these early soft tissue injuries as they may be pushing the youngsters too hard, it is also possible, as has been mentioned earlier, that the young blokes are pushing themselves too hard to try and impress, whilst not warming up and down properly perhaps. However there is also an onus on the adelaide footy club to watch this and ensure these blokes don't push themselves too hard.

Nail hammer head

Sellar, Walker- recruited to the club of their dreams, definately likely to push too hard, causing injuries

Dangerfield- all the bs (from this ******** included) about his drafting, I have no doubt he would be wanting to impress and pushing himself

BTW is an excellent sign that Craig is mentioning Sellar by name in the media, as we know if he is not pleased with a player we hear SFA

A good sign

2008- Year of big bad Jimmy S :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back