Past Player - James Sellar

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: #29 - James Sellar

Yet another in the series of "Getting to know" articles, this time about young Jimmy.

http://www.afc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/4417/newsid/86644/default.aspx

Who spends the most time getting ready at the club?
I spend a bit of time with Chris Knights and he's usually pretty slow. But if you're ever going out to dinner - or anywhere really - with Brad Moran, give yourself a good hour-and-a-half because there are hair straighteners, gel, wax, hairspray and maybe even some fake tan involved. It can really be an amazing thing to watch.

Apparently he's good friends with Knights, Bock and Vince, is learning the guitar and reading positive energy self-help books and his car is a mess.

I saw in the Sunday Mail an article about the Crows participating in Movember.

James Sellar was featured along with Chris Knights and it mentioned that it was a matter close to Sellar's heart because he has lived with depression for the past four years :(

From memory, he said he has been lucky enough to receive treatment for it so hopefully he's in a clear state of mind now.

Thats horrible, hope he is going alright, cant be easy to concentrate on anything in your life with that sort of illness. I hope he has managed to overcome it and can move on!

I knew he was having issues with wanting to continue footy, but I didn't know he had depression.

Hope he's mind is free.

James Sellar was featured along with Chris Knights and it mentioned that it was a matter close to Sellar's heart because he has lived with depression for the past four years :(

From memory, he said he has been lucky enough to receive treatment for it so hopefully he's in a clear state of mind now.

With some of the abuse he's copped it's hardly surprising:(

Alot of people need to remember there's real people on the end of their words.:thumbsdown:

That's disappointing to hear - as someone who has felt the effects of depression in my own family, I know just how devastating it can be, regardless of how talented the person in question is.

Fortunately, I've also seen that it can be conquered with continuous, focused efforts, and that the sufferers can achieve wonderful things once they are on top of the wretched illness. When people are at the point that they are willing to admit it in public, they are usually well on their way to being in control of depression, so hopefully Sellar is ready to show us his best form :thumbsu:

Wow, did not know that. Hope he is mentally sound now, depression can be a devastating illness and its a credit to him that hes been able to keep up with the demands of AFL football :thumbsu:

You could see why he would be depressed. He's grown up as a star and had all the hype when drafted only for it not to work out so far. He is under a lot of external and internal pressure. Good luck to him, would be great if he had a huge 2011.

You could see why he would be depressed. He's grown up as a star and had all the hype when drafted only for it not to work out so far. He is under a lot of external and internal pressure. Good luck to him, would be great if he had a huge 2011.

I don't think it's fair to assume that it's anything to do with footy and the hype/pressure involved. I'm sure James has plenty of other things going on in his life outside of footy. It could be to do with any other facet of his life, it's not something we should really speculate about, tbh.

Depression is a mental illness. Yes, it can be (and often is) set off by factors such as disappointment or stress, but there needn't be any dramatic or immediate problem for it to strike. That's the real viciousness of it - somebody can have a wonderful life, but still be depressed, which makes it very difficult to treat (because you can't simply work to remove the problems in your life and call it a day). It's different (despite sharing the same name) from just feeling down because things aren't going your way.

Sad for Jimmy, have known him for many years as he was growing up and played footy with him, was always a great kid.

Changed a little when he was touted as a First Round Draft pick, but was always going to grow up with some unwanted pressure.

I could imagine with the barrage of crap he gets from Adelaide and Port Adelaide supporters it would bound to get to him, and his family (more so his Dad) arent particularly the best to support him imo.

His Dad has a pretty horrible attitude and would put a lot of pressure on James to succeed. Cant be very helpful that his career isnt going aswell as he would have hoped. (Though I have heard his Dad has become a little better in the past 12 months.)

Every year I hear from James that he is considering stopping Footy and taking up an apprenticeship, not sure what keeps him playing to be honest.

No offence to you guys, or the Crows but I was hoping he would get to move to Carlton as I think the move from his Family and a move to a team with a Weaker Tall Forward Line would really help the kid and he would develop into the player he can, and should become.

Anyway, good luck Jimmy for this year mate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry to jump in, bit been reading about Jimmy's depression and just wanted to express how glad I am he's been given another crack. Why Craig didn't play him at Adelaide and than brought him to us I wasn't sure, but he seems to have embraced the club for giving him a chance. When he started the season up forward he looked like, in comparison to Clark anyway, an absolutely terrible recruit. However, he's been moved down back in recent weeks and has actually beaten Merrett, Dawes and Crameri. Hopefully its all up from here for him, and Craig has learnt his lesson.

Sorry to jump in, bit been reading about Jimmy's depression and just wanted to express how glad I am he's been given another crack. Why Craig didn't play him at Adelaide and than brought him to us I wasn't sure, but he seems to have embraced the club for giving him a chance. When he started the season up forward he looked like, in comparison to Clark anyway, an absolutely terrible recruit. However, he's been moved down back in recent weeks and has actually beaten Merrett, Dawes and Crameri. Hopefully its all up from here for him, and Craig has learnt his lesson.
Yeah, it certainly nice to see him string together some decent games for Melbourne this year. From close sources to him, I've heard he is a great bloke and works very hard at his footy, so have always had a soft spot for him. Nice to see he might be able to string together an ok career in the AFL.

Yeah, it certainly nice to see him string together some decent games for Melbourne this year. From close sources to him, I've heard he is a great bloke and works very hard at his footy, so have always had a soft spot for him. Nice to see he might be able to string together an ok career in the AFL.

Yeah I really hope he makes it work at Melbourne. We drafted him very young and it was always going to take time for him to hit his straps, and we could never give him a consistent run. I thought he needed a month down forward to prove or disprove himself which he never really got, and with our new game style this year he would have benefited from the quick ball movement much better.

Deserves a second chance.

Got to know the guy a little through player sponsorships, is a real nice, easy going kind of guy. Great to see him finally getting a decent run at AFL level. Always showed signs that he could develop into a decent defender, unfortunately due to injuries, our previously strong KPD stocks and Glenelg's insistence that he play as a KPF/Ruck, he never really got a proper opportunity. I'm not sure how much of an influence Craig would have had on Melbourne's decision to recruit him, I suspect they asked him about him and decided he was worth a punt.

Sadly it doesn't surprise me that he's suffered some depression. Right from word go there was extreme pressure on the lad as our "great white hope" up forward. Something which as a Crows supporter growing up he would have known only too well. He was billed as a potential #1 draft pick from when he was 16 and as soon as it looked like he was struggling Crows supporters turned on him like nothing else. I think actually ending up at the Crows was the worst thing for him in the end, he probably would have been far better off being drafted to a Victorian team, away from the fish-bowel of Adelaide and the spotlight it placed on him.

Kudos to Melbourne for giving him a shot, it certainly hasn't surprised me that he's been able to play some pretty decent footy as a key defender.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back