Retired Clinton Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

GWS could do a lot worse than putting CJ in for a couple of years- he trains hard and sets an amazing example to a bunch of spoon fed kids who have done it all the easy way. Gwilty would be a great get for any club as a third tall swingman.

Very good players... Both of them

Clint especially... A terrific run with onballer, but could also find the ball at will offensively. If I were a WAFL club I'd have a big cheque with his name on it... He'll dominate state footy for two years

Jimmy had good moments early and then had a really good 2010/11... His knee a killer. Ended up too heavy and slow. At 188 he was asked to do ridiculous jobs.

south fremantle sacked their coach and have come good. add clinton to that and gee they could be a threat next year

GWS could do a lot worse than putting CJ in for a couple of years- he trains hard and sets an amazing example to a bunch of spoon fed kids who have done it all the easy way. Gwilty would be a great get for any club as a third tall swingman.

if i was wce i'd rookie him, just for insurance

This thread needs more:

Sydney-Swans-5950038.jpg

I remember that bump. Pure courage. That was very early on in his career. It was that moment that made me decide, "This guys is a keeper."

The ultimate Clint Jones moment:

Buddy Franklin in his prime tries to Cale Hooker him, Clint is having none of it. From memory we went on to win in a huge upset coming back from 5 goals down at half time, and ultimately made top 4 on the back of that win and late season form.

I just read this article:

WHEN the prospect of playing for Sandringham next year was put to Clinton Jones, the delisted St Kilda midfielder expressed one reservation.
Jones, 30, told new Sandy coach Paul Hudson he wouldn’t want to take the position of a young Saint in the VFL.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/...is-lane-to-sandy/story-fngnvmn9-1227135760498

And this is after, upon being asked to leave his team, he retired and didn't announce it because he didn't want to take anything away from Lenny.

Just a really classy way to be, and it conflicts so strongly with the whole midget campfire thing. Anyway, I feel like the guy doesn't get enough credit, so I thought I would post this.

Very - impressive. Looks like the club is doing a lot right in terms of player contentment . Only a guy who has genuinely bought in to what the club is trying to achieve would say that - you would think - the fact that he wants to stay on at Sandy would be proof enough - I think I read TDL has done the same ?

Despite not being the most talented guy getting around, he gave everything every time he pulled on the jumper. Hopefully something he's passed on to the younger lads. Really respect the way he went about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He gave everything he had. That wasn't enough for some, but it was all you can ask.
Drafted as a mature age recruit and lets be honest, he was a crap kick:p
But the fact that for about 3 seasons he was the best tagger in the AFL, shows how strong his work ethic & mental toughness was.
Will be fondly remembered as a great foot soldier for us :thumbsu::thumbsu:

He closed down Ablett, a few times. He chased Buddy half-way down the ground and nailed him. He kicked some surprising goals.

He kicked well some games, then badly. A curiosity. You have to wonder that he ran himself so ragged he didn't have the energy, then the confidence, to kick well. Handballs then became the norm.

I will remember him fondly. Good luck to him at Sandy.

Unfortunately he's probably one of those guys who was born 5-10 years too late. Not that he didn't carve out a decent and very respectable career, but it came at the time where the game was evolving to become more tactically precise.

The one on one full ground match ups disappeared and full presses came in. Unfortunately the result of this meant that any susceptible kicks were going to be found out and found out quickly as a weak link in any team and simply could not be carried despite their defensive negating skills.

Even when I wasn't happy he was being selected I was ecstatic that he was at the club because between him and Rooey there probably could be no better standard being set on the training track

I think he lost too much confidence in his kick too. There were times when he just needed to hoof it into the forward line and he'd try to HB off causing a turnover. Good careee though, is he one for coaching?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back