Past Player Of The Week - Chris Mew

Remove this Banner Ad

Sadly, I saw a very young and clearly destined for greatness, Wayne Carey tear him up one day.
Yep, it is often referred to when Carey got hold of him. Mew towards the end and Carey at the start. It is still odd to think that Duck covered such a long era in footy in that respect.

Sadly, I saw a very young and clearly destined for greatness, Wayne Carey tear him up one day.

Meh, never....once or twice. Equates to much the same over the length of a great career.

FTR - I wonder if that was a night game at Waverley? Perhaps even the 1991 Night Grand Final. I have the old video of that and you could see than that Carey was destined for greatness...........even though we won comfortably if I recall correctly.

Disagree - I would take Mew over Knights any day of the week. Not as Flashy but just a pillar of our success.

Different styles altogether would have thought....Mew was a champion at playing the percentages & a no-fuss, get the job done kinda guy....Knights on the other hand, was an athletic freak, who would take a good 6-10 Marks of the day almost every week & could run like the wind!

Mew could play Full back also, but Knightsy could play almost any position on the ground, such was his ability....Knights was in altogether another stratosphere to Mew as a player....Mew was a champion, but Knights was a bona-fide super-star of the game.

There is no comparison!

Different styles altogether would have thought....Mew was a champion at playing the percentages & a no-fuss, get the job done kinda guy....Knights on the other hand, was an athletic freak, who would take a good 6-10 Marks of the day almost every week & could run like the wind!

Mew could play Full back also, but Knightsy could play almost any position on the ground, such was his ability....Knights was in altogether another stratosphere to Mew as a player....Mew was a champion, but Knights was a bona-fide super-star of the game.

There is no comparison!
And yet, I would still take Mew at CHB all day, everyday.

And yet, I would still take Mew at CHB all day, everyday.

Fair Enuf....Suggest you re-watch the 75, 76 & 78 Grand Finals for a refresher then!;) Mew could save you a game, but Knights could both save & win you the Big one's!....therein lies the difference IMO.

I'm solidly with Procrastinator and TFP's!
I was lucky enough to see a substantial amount of both their careers live.
Much admiration for Mew but Knights was the best!

Cheers

Yep, Chris Mew is an all time great of the club, probably in our Top 10.

But Peter Knights was an athletic freak who played like he was dancing ballet.
He was just beautiful to watch.

I've met Mr Mew a few times thru work and I still get all giddy like a schoolgirl when I do.

He's Chris ******* Mew.

Champion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Loved Mew, reliable, played on the best centre-half forwards of the modern era and beat them hands down with no fuss. Knights was flamboyant and a great leap, both class acts and that is why they are both in the team of the century.

Like someone else metioned the first player Jeans selected on a thursday night.

Last edited:
Great players both of them mate i guess each to their own
We can agree on that. Both Champions and both under rated outside of Hawthorn. Both would suit the team we have now to be honest and both would fit todays game of AFL too. Mew would make the perfect Stratton type. Stratts has actually always reminded me of Mewy.

Mew did his job. He did it so well, you didn't notice him doing it.
Knights did his job, he did it so well well that having missed 7 games in 1976, he was tieing for the brownlow with one round to go. And in 1978 he missed the brownlow by 1 vote having missed two games.

It comes down to whether you prefer a player whose job goes unnoticed because of the efficiency with which he goes about it, or the one who takes three screamers a day and gets their photo in the paper.

I remember a game at Junction Oval against Fitzroy where Knights booted the ball out of the centre, it rolled into the forwards line nobody grabbed it off the ground, the next thing you see is knights picking it up out of the pack and goaling.

That kind of sticks in your memory.

But Mew, the kind of things he does (shutting down an opponent day in day out and taking exactly 4 marks per game) you end up instead of remembering particularly stunning pieces of play, trying to remember if he ever had a bad game or not.

Mew did his job. He did it so well, you didn't notice him doing it.
Knights did his job, he did it so well well that having missed 7 games in 1976, he was tieing for the brownlow with one round to go. And in 1978 he missed the brownlow by 1 vote having missed two games.

It comes down to whether you prefer a player whose job goes unnoticed because of the efficiency with which he goes about it, or the one who takes three screamers a day and gets their photo in the paper.

I remember a game at Junction Oval against Fitzroy where Knights booted the ball out of the centre, it rolled into the forwards line nobody grabbed it off the ground, the next thing you see is knights picking it up out of the pack and goaling.

That kind of sticks in your memory.

But Mew, the kind of things he does (shutting down an opponent day in day out and taking exactly 4 marks per game) you end up instead of remembering particularly stunning pieces of play, trying to remember if he ever had a bad game or not.
I could not have put this better. Great summation.

Loved Mew for his outstanding consistency. Loved Knights because he was a human highlights reel.

How does one even rank Mew, Knights, Langford and Moore???

52271.jpg

How does one even rank Mew, Knights, Langford and Moore???

Very difficult question, all Hawthorn legends and all great players over a long, long time.
And all were great players in Grand finals, which is my personal highest accolade.

I would put Knights first only because he was my favourite when I was younger.
Such a brilliant player!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back