Past Player of the Week - Danny Morgan

Remove this Banner Ad

Danny Morgan

2729196-1x1-100x100.jpg

DOB: 20/08/1974

Height: 178 cm

Weight: 84 kg

Playing number: 43 (1995-96), 36 (1997)

Arrived: Drafted with pick 23 in the 1993 AFL Mid-Season Draft.

Debut: Round 13 vs Sydney, 1995

Games: 16

Goals: 2

Departed: Delisted at the end of the 1997 season

The great-grandson of Fitzroy's Gerald Brosnan, Danny Morgan first entered the AFL in 1991, being drafted by Carlton in the 1990 draft. An on-baller who could go forward, he spent his two years at the Blues playing in the reserves, and was delisted at the end of 1992. He went to play for the Preston Knights in 1993, catching the eye of Essendon, who drafted him in the Mid-Season Draft. But he didn't get to play for the that year's premiers at all, nor did he play in 1994, playing instead in the reserves and winning the best and fairest. It was only halfway through 1995 that he finally broke into the firsts, playing eight games for the season, including a 24 possession game which earned him two Brownlow votes.

He only played sporadically in 1996 and 1997, winning another reserves B&F in '96 and managing to only play in losses in all five of his '97 games, and was delisted at the end of the season. From there he went on to play for Leeton and Shepparton United, before returning to Essendon (with Bendigo) as a runner and eventually going to the ABC as a journalist.

That is literally the only photo I can find of him. If someone can find player Danny instead of journo Danny that would be nice.
Will be able to get one in a couple of weeks. He appears in an Essendon cookbook that my mum still has at her place. That is pretty much all I remember of Morgan, other than his red hair.

Yeah, but people like to talk about players they have seen. People would prefer to talk about Heath Hocking rather than Dylan Van Unen in 15 years.

I'm sure there are people who have seen Danny Morgan. I'm sure there will even be people who have seen some of our one game players.

I'm interested in their stories. If you're not, fine, come into the thread when we have a 150+ game player.

I'm sure there are people who have seen Danny Morgan. I'm sure there will even be people who have seen some of our one game players.

I'm interested in their stories. If you're not, fine, come into the thread when we have a 150+ game player.

Even a 60 - 100 game player, not blokes fleetingly come and gone in the flash of a pan. The points of these threads is traffic. Going to hardly get any when no one can remember them. If your to do no names, maybe list guys post 2000 who some have the chance to actually remember. (baring in mind the average age group on BigFooty here would be under 25).

Even a 60 - 100 game player, not blokes fleetingly come and gone in the flash of a pan. The points of these threads is traffic. Going to hardly get any when no one can remember them. If your to do no names, maybe list guys post 2000 who some have the chance to actually remember. (baring in mind the average age group on BigFooty here would be under 25).

I will be doing every player that has played for Essendon since 1987 (the year the national competition began), as well as well known players from before then.

I am not doing these threads for traffic. I am doing it because I want to hear if people have stories about people that have played for our club, no matter how big or small.

In the past 2 weeks we've had Marc Bullen and Terry Daniher. Neither player got a huge amount of traffic. These threads are more about just reminiscing about a player for a week then moving on. They're never going to get huge traffic, especially during the season and even moreso now with the ASADA thing rearing its head.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They'll get their chance.

Obscure players are interesting and worth a week in the spotlight.

not really! what's there to talk about except for "do you remember what they look like"!

Last edited:
Guys, sorry but it's not compulsory to enter the thread if it doesn't interest you.

If The Speaker wants to do obscure players, then that's completely his choice. And, we do have some older posters around the place who might be able to actually share some insight here.

yaco55 might recall him- I can't say I do, even though I was following Essendon from 1993 onwards.

I've got his autograph in a book somewhere from when I went to a bombers training in 1994 as a young fella. His signature and another elite two gamer called Lachlan Ross always stood out to me as to why the heck I got them.

Don't remember speaking to Danny but Lachlan Ross was a great guy.

A sweetener, no doubt.

I prefer to roast my pumpkin before I mush them into soup. ;)

Man, Danny went to a lot of effort for his pumpkin soup. I boil pumpkin, spuds and onions in chicken stock with some S&P, then blend when everything is uber soft.

I would play with the recipe but for the fact me 3 year old who hates vegies laps this up, not realising it is all vegies. I don't want to mess with that.

As for Morgan himself, I'm with Yaco. I can remember him being an honest battler with not a great deal of skill.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back