Past Player of the Week - Glenn Hawker

Remove this Banner Ad

Is this thread degenerating into a discussion about the lack of quality beer being drank by 4 double premiership legends reflective of Hawker? Did he love a few grogs back in his playing days?

Reading the Daniher book, TD and Neale certainly did with crates of - yep - MB longnecks stacked up around the back door. Wouldn't surprise if Hawker was a regular visitor to their house

I think the previous photo was from Roger's 50th - held up in Qld.

Back on topic: this guy was awesome... Quick & a great kick. Also took no s**t from anyone!

Possibly our best kick to a leading player in those days. Never seemed rushed with ball in hand. Was poised, laconic and dishevelled all at the same time. Socks were generally around the ankles (not in above pic though!).
A personal favourite of mine.
View attachment 104125
Agree with all you say apart from the best kick part , Hawk was a great kick but for me clearly the best kicker of a footy in those days was Timmy Watson, now I seem to remember we traded him to Carlscum, didn't enjoy seeing him there but vaguely remember getting something decent for him, can anyone remember the facts ? Was a magic era for the EFC. had a big number 32 on my duffle coat surrounded by the numbers 5,6,18,27, 33 and 34. fair set of players, Watson T.D, Neale, Simon, Hawks and Merv....oh the mullets...

Agree with all you say apart from the best kick part , Hawk was a great kick but for me clearly the best kicker of a footy in those days was Timmy Watson, now I seem to remember we traded him to Carlscum, didn't enjoy seeing him there but vaguely remember getting something decent for him, can anyone remember the facts ? Was a magic era for the EFC. had a big number 32 on my duffle coat surrounded by the numbers 5,6,18,27, 33 and 34. fair set of players, Watson T.D, Neale, Simon, Hawks and Merv....oh the mullets...
I did specify 'to a leading player', and 'possibly'. He rarely missed targets over shorter distances. Timmy could smash it from over 50 metres to advantage or for a running goal but he had good competition from Hawk for hitting-up targets.

Hawker was a very funny guy with a few drinks in him - particularly if he started dancing.

Very very good player.

Hated Ken Judge.

Played a huge part in the famous 1 point victory against Carlton in 81.

I began following the Dons because of the 84 Gf. I think I was around 8 at the time. He struck me as all class but I always wondered where he fitted alongside blokes like Watson, Baker, Williams, and Neagle.

And then when he went to Carlton he wasn't the same player so I probably underrated him a bit more.. Reading the list of his achievements mine eyes have been opened.

Hawk was gifted, was he left footed ? Was he right? Who knew ? You couldn't tell. That puts him above Watson(for kicking) imo as Tim was average on his left.
I'm positive we got Mick Long when trading Hawk to that filth. Crushed me to see him wearing "that" jumper.
Met him at a gambling night many years ago, both pretty hammered, and the c***ton subject came up. "Essendon man mate, don't worry about them, I'm trying to forget it happened"

Pure class. Great skills by foot, and could weave through traffic with ease - similar to Hird in that regard.

His 1986 season was sublime. Easily won the B & F and was 2 votes away from a Brownlow.

Star.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back