Past Player of the Week - Maurice Rioli

Remove this Banner Ad

Each week we take a look at one past player, if you want to contributed, visit this thread and post your interest.

Maurice Rioli

I don’t know exactly what “footy smarts” are, but I know Maurice Rioli had them. He was truly a big game player with the ability to turn a match. His time with Richmond was all too short, and peppered with controversy. Someone really should make a film about the bloke.
331of86.jpg

Honours :

Brownlow: Runner up, 1983, 1 vote behind Ross Glendenning
Norm Smith Medal:1982
Richmond Best and Fairest: 1982 and 1983.
All Australian: 1983, 1986, 1988
Nominated as top 10 Class of the Century in the 100 Tiger Treasures
WA Representative: 5 times between 1983-1987 (every year he was a Tiger), a total of 13 times

His story

Rioli was from Melville Island, NT, and part of a famous football family. He was uncle to Cyril Rioli (Hawthorn) and Dean Rioli (Essendon). He was strongly built, weighing 85kg at 176 cm (5 foot 9).

His older brother, Sebastin, was one of the first indigenous players from NT to play in the WAFL, and Maurice joined him at South Fremantle in 1975. He played 121 games, including 3 consecutive Grand Finals (1979, 1980 and 1981), with a premiership in 1980 coached by former Tiger Mal Brown. Maurice Rioli won the Simpson Medal as best on ground in the 1980 and 1981 grand finals. I can’t find stats for 1981, but in the 1980 GF, Rioli had 14 kicks, 7 marks, 19 handballs, and 2 goals. Fair game.

Rioli was recruited to Punt Road in 1982, and played 118 games for Richmond from 1982 to 1987. He kicked an amazing 80 goals from 113 scoring shots.

9puc8m.jpg

In the 1982 Grand Final, he became the first player to win the Norm Smith Medal in a losing side. Only 4 players have achieved that in the 36 grand finals that the medal has been awarded.

When Rioli came to the Tigers as the best centreman in the country, he found himself on the same team as Geoff Raines, the best centreman in the VFL. Raines had also won the B&F the 2 previous seasons (1980 and 1981). The coach, Francis Bourke, picked Rioli in the centre, most games. He played alongside other midfielder stars like Dale Weightman and Barry Rowlings.

Through no fault to Rioli, his presence at the club might have contributed to some off-field instability. In 1983, Raines asked for a pay increase that was knocked back. He left Richmond to join Collingwood, much to the ire of administrator Graham Richmond. GR then embarked on the famous “Trade Wars”, that saw many good players depart Punt Road, with some under-performing players brought in. It was the beginning of many lean years for the club.

15oie7s.jpg

The end of Rioli’s time at Punt Road was also controversial. Geoffrey Edelstein bought the Swans in 1985, and vowed to fill their list with the biggest names in the game in 1986. Rioli was given a lucrative contract, but apparently, never appeared for training. It’s hard to figure out what actually happened. Some reports state that he moved to Sydney with his family, living in a hotel. At the same time, a Perth Supreme Court heard civil action by South Fremantle, who claimed Rioli was tied by a three year contract to them until the end of 1987. In the ensuing shitfight, Rioli was linked by the media to Essendon and St Kilda. Whether he was contracted to Richmond, South Fremantle or Sydney, the upshot was that the Sydney Swans were fined $20k for poaching and Rioli played for Richmond in 1986 and 1987.

He was selected in the state team for WA 13 times, and was captain in 1987, playing against teammate Dale Weightman, who captained Victoria.

He returned to South Fremantle in 1988, and played until the end of 1989 as captain. Taking a step down in the level of football that he played, Rioli moved to the Northern Territory in 1990, playing in Darwin until 1991, and coached for 2 seasons after that.

Outside of football, he was elected into the Legislative Assembly (NT parliament) for the seat of Arafura in 1992. His opponent, fellow Tiwi Islander Bernard Tipiloura, called Rioli a “yella fella”, and ran the slogan “Put a ceremony man into government”, suggesting that Rioli’s heritage wasn’t “black enough”. After winning the election, Rioli showed much dignity, saying “Look, I respect the man [Tipiloura]. Before the final votes had been cast, I went up to him and shook his hand. I don’t think there is any ill-feeling between us”.

Rioli had his flaws, as we all do. Rioli remorsefully admitted to pawning parliamentary property, including a bar fridge and other furniture, to raise the money to get to the AFL grand final. He had been invited to the MCG to present the Norm Smith Medal in 1993, which was won by fellow Territorian, Michael Long. Apparently, Rioli was broke due to gambling at the time, but couldn’t turn down the invitation.

Rioli died too young, at 53, after suffering a heart attack in 2010. He was given a state funeral.

In 2016, he was inducted into the AFL Hall of Fame. I personally take it as acknowledgement of the esteem that although 5 other fine players were also inducted at the same time, the main story the Herald Sun ran the next day was about Maurice. “(We are) Very proud, long-awaited, but enjoyable. The family is loving it,” Rioli’s son Gavin said upon accepting the award for his father. “He’s one of the players from the old days who you could put into modern football because he set the standards by getting 12-15 tackles per game like they do now.”

Footage of Maurice

YouTube footage specifically of the best Rioli playing footy is hard to find (plenty on Cyril, who isn't bad, but just wears the wrong colours.)

The sort of repeat efforts he was known for vs Essendon at the start, followed by a game winning burst vs Hawthorn -

Tribute from Richmond on his passing. Check out the tackling at 1:05.

If you have the patience, Rioli slots the type of game-turning goal that he often produced at 3:23 in this package of WAFL highlights from 1979. (It's worth watching to see the amazing calibre of the WAFL at that time. Ken Hunter screamers, Krakour brothers magic...)

References:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurice_Rioli
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richmond_Football_Club
http://www.richmondfc.com.au/club/history/chronology
http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2...presentative-games-while-playing-for-richmond
Tony Greenburg, Talking Tigers podcast 2014, Round 4 episode
Accessed on Trove, http://trove.nla.gov.au/
21 February 1986, The Canberra Times
9 Nov 1992, The Canberra Times
15 Oct 1993, The Canberra Times

Last edited:
Didn't get to see him play but from those highlights, he wouldn't look out of place in our current side! Freakish talent! He has a son doesn't he?

Didn't get to see him play but from those highlights, he wouldn't look out of place in our current side! Freakish talent! He has a son doesn't he?
Mate he would instantly be the best player in the current side, don't you worry about that. Unbelievable ball handling skills and a fantastic tackling machine. The complete offensive and defensive player.

So many Tiger greats over the years & Maurice Rioli is right up there at the top, imagine a player more freakishly skilled than Cyril who played at his best every week! Bruce's head would have exploded in orgasmic fury!
Taken far too soon, a true great.

Love your work mate. Well presented. Never saw Maurice play, before my time but the footage I have seen showed he was a special talent.

Love your work mate. Well presented. Never saw Maurice play, before my time but the footage I have seen showed he was a special talent.
The funny thing is that you knew he was going to get the ball no matter who he was up against and somehow, like Houdini, he would evade one, two, three or four opponents and leave them in his wake. There have been few players that have graced the field that were so majestic. On wet days when everybody was slipping and fumbling he would be a one grab player who would always keep his feet. Really well and truly a once in a generation special talent.
I really feel privileged to have seen him play. I was sitting in the top deck of the Ponsford stand in that game at the MCG against Essendon shown on the highlights (over 90,000 people there Easter Monday 1982). I can tell you he kicked that goal from the boundary and it came straight toward me and it split the middle of the goals to the millimetre. We all went bezerk! What a player. I feel sorry for the youngsters who didn't get to see him at all. He was that good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Easily one of the best players I've ever seen. "The wizard" or "Mr Magic" way before other indigenous players. He was the shining light in some pretty ordinary sides. Raines was one of my favorite players, but Rioli was the better centreman. They were different players as Raines had a massive kick and could take spekkies, and Rioli hardly left the ground. But for pure skill and evasiveness, he was a master. Something ALWAYS happened when Rioli found the ball. He would dart in and out of packs and somehow end up with the ball, and then weave out of that pack with opposition players often running into each other as Rioli ran off with the ball.

There one memory of Maurice I'll never forget. It was at the Ponsford end of the MCG against Collingwood and the ball was kicked into our forward pocket, the ball bounced once and there were FOUR Collingwood defenders waiting to see where the ball would bounce. They had it well and truly covered. Rioli cam charging in, and the ball happened to bounce his way and he picked up the ball. The four Collingwood players TRIED to corral him, tried to tackle him but he showed them the candy, baulked and then blind turned out of the contest and snapped a goal on the left from the pocket. In seconds, he turned "nothing", into a 4 on 1 contest and bamboozled the defenders. It WAS magic. This was all in the era of the Krakouer brothers, Phil Narkle.

I remember he was highly skilled, ran all day and was very quiet. I think he was the first player in VFL/AFL History to win the Norm Smith in the losing GF side.

Remember going to the Richmond Fitzroy game at VFL park early in the season. He came into the team and had an instant impact. He was unbelievable. He was great with the ball and even when he didn't have it he applied amazing pressure. Still one of the best tackles I have ever seen.

Remember going to the Richmond Fitzroy game at VFL park early in the season. He came into the team and had an instant impact. He was unbelievable. He was great with the ball and even when he didn't have it he applied amazing pressure. Still one of the best tackles I have ever seen.
Remember that game well. Gave a reasonably good opponent that day an absolute bath. Was hitting Brian Taylor with lace out passes. The Fitzroy players were completely bamboozled. They just couldn't lay a hand on him. Saw one Fitzroy player scratching his head thinking "how the hell did he do that?". We all knew immediately we had a very very special player on our hands.

Last edited:
Sorry to be a mungrel, but you said he kicked 80 goals from 113 scoring shots. Maurice had 137 scoring shots throughout his career for Richmond and kicked 80.57.

Well pointed out, PB. Using Wikipedia as my source on that one, so I deserve everything I get. Seemed way too good to be true, but hey, it was Maurice, so I believed it.

Best Richmond player I've seen, by some distance.

Thank God for this thread!
Indeed, handing out likes like you wouldn't believe:eek:
Could go a bit too, Maurice, gave Jacko a real hiding in the boxing ring when Jacko went to South Freo - Maurice and Benny Vigona!

But for pure skill and evasiveness, he was a master. Something ALWAYS happened when Rioli found the ball. He would dart in and out of packs and somehow end up with the ball, and then weave out of that pack with opposition players often running into each other as Rioli ran off with the ball.

I reckon this might be the reason I struggled to find highlights. His work was truly amazing, but somehow, unspectacular. He'd win the unwinnable ball and handpass 25 metres to hit a running player. ALWAYS made something happen, as you say, but that's not making the highlight reel.

Hard to think of a modern day equivalent. Maybe Sam Mitchell. Always setting up his team mates with incredible skills and understanding of the game, but never gunna take mark of the year.

I think he was the first player in VFL/AFL History to win the Norm Smith in the losing GF side.

I believe so. It was his first year in the team too. For a bloke whose play was so team-oriented, that is amazing. Didn't take him long to figure out where everyone else was.

For me, the fact he was BOG for 3 grand finals running says it all. He just understood the game better than almost anyone who has pulled on boots.

sitting 1 inch behind the mcg fence like i did often all those years ago and seeing this magician from a few metres away was and unbelievable, mesmerising and unforgetable experience, he was like poetry in motion, weaved his magic at a fanatical pace yet seemed to do it in 's l o w' motion and so gracefully in the twinkling of an eye.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back