Past Player: Scott Selwood (2008 - 2015)

Remove this Banner Ad

With the "official" release of the Eagles' Dreamteam prices today came the un-surprising announcement that Scott Selwood, my man, is the highest priced Eagle. We all knew of Scott's greatness and now it has been confirmed in the reliable, respected and valued medium of AFL Dreamteam. I'm picking him, not because I'm his sponsor or because I have unashamedly a small amount of man love (no homo) for him, but because he's a gun. At $587500 he's even more expensive than Joel.

But we've all known the prices for a few days now.

So, having seen Emac and Schoey get on the piss at my work the other day, one can only assume that Scooter was doing the same in Victoria somewhere. This is a good thing, they seemed to be having a great time, getting it out of their system before they knuckle down for pre-season again. I don't care what he does as long as he rocks up sober with his skinfolds down or whatever they measure now.

Go hard Scotty :thumbsu:

According to our ever reliable media man Steve Bandy, Scooter has been positively training the house down. His endurance, skills and leadership have been noticeable. Doesn't really come as a surprise although it is good to hear. If I was a betting man (only when I'm drunk) and there was a market for "next West Coast Eagles captain" I would be putting my money on Scooter, he seems to be a leading candidate since Waters' shoulder failed him, again, and he would be a good replacement for Glass when he hangs up the boots (or just the captaincy).

And and and he is now a vice captain!!!! Well done Scooter!!!! :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

Sorry Clint Beastwood I don't mean to takeover your thread I am just here to let everyone know how proud I am of Scoot! :)

It will be a good year for him.
No more broken thumb so only thumbs up now.

From WCE Website.

Scott Selwood has sent a stern warning to his club’s cross-town rival a fortnight ahead of their NAB Challenge encounter.

West Coast will kick off its pre-season campaign with a clash against Fremantle on Tuesday, February 18 and the newly crowned vice-captain has predicted that senior coach Adam Simpson will field close to the squad’s best team in a bid to generate familiarity with a fresh game plan.

“Going into these games, I think we will field a pretty strong side our first game,” Selwood told SEN last night.

“Just to do with a new game plan and getting our head around a lot of that kind of stuff, so we all want to make sure we’re on par and ready to go for round one.

“Some teams who have been around for a while, like Hawthorn with the same coach, they might send younger teams out, but we’ve got a new coach and we think it’s pretty important to send close to our better team out there and get some experience into the new coach and things like that.”

With just three players missing from the training track yesterday, it looks like the new coach will be spoilt for choice when he sits down to select his first team.

Selwood rejected persistent rumours circling on the east coast questioning Nic Naitanui’s fitness, saying the ruckman was in top condition.

“We actually had the most numbers we’ve had in a training session for the last probably 12 months, which was really exciting,” Selwood said.

“Nic Nat had a slow progression towards Christmas, some sore days, some not sore days, but his last three weeks have been perfect.

“He did the whole training session and Beau Waters completed about three quarters of it, so those two guys are going really well.”

Selwood also revealed that changes are afoot in terms of personnel, with forwards Jack Darling and Mark LeCras likely to spend time in the midfield this year.

“I think everyone will be excited by Jack,” Selwood said.

“He’s had a big pre-season, he’s hardly missed a session, and he’s joined in some midfield work as well, so that’s going to be really exciting.

“He’ll get some pinch hitting in the midfield, along with Mark LeCras, and he’s going to be awesome in there.

“He’s just what we need, he’s a bit body in there, he can throw his weight around, just for a few minutes and then get back down forward.”

From WCE Website. :hearts:

DOM SHEED is a ready-made AFL players and is likely to play in the NAB Challenge, Eagles teammate Scott Selwood believes.
Selwood, who was recently announced as the Eagles' new joint vice-captain with Josh Kennedy, played nine matches in his first year in 2008 after being recruited with pick No.22 in the previous year's national draft.
The 2012 best and fairest says he has been very impressed with Sheed throughout the pre-season.
"Dom's a guy with a big build who can come in and is ready-built for AFL footy," Selwood said.
"He's still got a lot to learn in terms of game-plan and structure and things like that but in terms of his attitude and the way he goes about it is first-class."
The Eagles have taken a few days out of their preparations for the NAB Challenge by visiting Albany, one of the southern-most towns in WA, for their Australia Post Community Camp.
The break has allowed Selwood the opportunity to reflect on his elevation to a senior leadership role at the age of 23.
"I was absolutely rapt and shocked at the same time," Selwood said of the appointment. "I didn't know how it would go or who would get voted in.
"We've got very strong leadership qualities within the whole playing group and I was absolutely stoked to be in there as vice-captain and hopefully I don't stuff it up."
Selwood is following in the footsteps of his older brother Joel, who became Geelong captain at the same in age in 2012, although he has not leaned on his brother for too much advice.
"A little bit every now and then," Selwood said.
"It's hard because we're different players and he doesn't know the club, but we've got some great players who have helped me out and I know they've helped the other boys out, guys like Dean Cox and also past players that have been there. Andrew Embley was very good in helping me with that kind of stuff."
Selwood also doesn't believe the Eagles vice-captaincy appointment will lift him up a notch within the family.
"(Joel) has still got three premierships on me," Scott said. "That's the one that counts in the Selwood family unfortunately."
The Eagles midfielder expects to play more of a run-with role in 2014 than he has done in the past two years.
"We've lost a couple of older guys in Andrew Embley and Daniel Kerr and we'll start bringing in some new guys.
"I think it's probably better that they can go out there and just play footy and then I'll probably go back to playing more of a defensive role." - See more at: http://m.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/2014-02-06/sheed-readymade-for-afl#sthash.RIov8PFO.dpuf

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well well well Scott Selwood. You have made a very powerful ally in me.

Obviously knew I was not a fan so he has backed my boy. Loses points for not saying Shred.

NAB Challenge Games 1 (vs Fremantle) and 2 (vs Sydney)

Scooter's had a productive few weeks. After reportedly training multiple apartment complex's down during the off-season he's started well this year. He worked his way into the season with a solid 19 disposals in our big win over the Dockers, collecting 8 kicks and 11 handballs, 70 DT points and even one hitout which, I'm under no illusions here, was crucial to us winning the game. Then, in our game against Sydney last night, he again managed 19 disposals, but this time recorded 89 DT points, seven tackles and one goal. Hopefully as we approach the season proper he is nearing top form and is ready for another huge year.

Would like to see him leading the tackle count. Still can be really sloppy with the ball but it's only preseason and we all know how good he can play.

Should have a reasonably good season.

Would like to see him leading the tackle count. Still can be really sloppy with the ball but it's only preseason and we all know how good he can play.

Should have a reasonably good season.

So would I. Perhaps with a few more regular midfielders he'll go back to his old in and under/tagging role and rack up huge tackle numbers instead of setting up the play all the time.

So would I. Perhaps with a few more regular midfielders he'll go back to his old in and under/tagging role and rack up huge tackle numbers instead of setting up the play all the time.

That is where he is best as well. He really now (along with Shuey and Masten) at that age where he needs to step up and start playing his best football week in and week out.

Well. Another pre-season game. Another win. But who's counting right? For once in my relatively short life I attended a game at Subiaco and I intend on doing so as much as I can throughout the year, bank account permitting. But coincidentally it was one where Scott Selwood was not playing. Of all the frigging games I go to, he's not there. Clearly he didn't want to blow me away with such a good performance that he wouldn't be able to replicate in the season proper. Anyway, let us use our imaginations to fill in the gaping hole that he has left. By my calculations he finished with 12K, 14H, 6 tackles, 2 goals 1 behind, two hitouts, 3 free's for and four marks. All this in 70% game time. On top of this he "accidentally" dacked Ryan Crowley and pinched Matthew Pavlich's nose. If this isn't a successful, albeit imagined (or not), night, then I don't know what is (or isn't).

Round 1 vs the Western Bulldogs

A win hey. It's a good feeling. But a win where Scott Selwood was one of the best afield? An even better feeling. He finished with 29 disposals, 15 kicks, 14 handballs, 6 marks, 5 tackles, 1 goal 1, one free for and 2 against. Pretty solid match in my humble opinion. Undoubtedly one of the highlights was the opening passage of play for the season, a beautiful, soft, Naitanui palm down to a running Selwood, long kick into the 50 where Darling takes a good mark and duly slots the goal. Perfect way to start the year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back