Traded Rhys Stanley

Remove this Banner Ad

Have people lifted their expectations of Stanley now? I don't have any "Roo replacement" expectations, I'd be more than happy if he just proves he can lock down the forward/ruck role for years to come, anything more than that is gravy.
I don't have him as a Roo replacement as that is impossible, but i think if he can build on yesterdays performance and become a consistent performer we could have a handy 40+ goal a season forward which is what i've been hoping for from him all along really.

Have people lifted their expectations of Stanley now? I don't have any "Roo replacement" expectations, I'd be more than happy if he just proves he can lock down the forward/ruck role for years to come, anything more than that is gravy.

+1 thats all we need

pressure to replace roo should be on the lees/whites

I don't have him as a Roo replacement as that is impossible, but i think if he can build on yesterdays performance and become a consistent performer we could have a handy 40+ goal a season forward which is what i've been hoping for from him all along really.
I'd say he's a potential (significant) upgrade on Kozi rather than a replacement Roo...

All it took was for someone to kick to him. Brucey next
This. If you can, go to Smart Replay, and look at Riewoldt's goal from the Joey handpass, 14:42 in the final quarter. That's set up with Lenny at the 50m. Look at Bruce, first in the goal square, then near the left point-post... all by his lonesome. Nobody is even near him - for about 8 seconds! He's flapping his arms about like he's about to fly. NOBODY notices! Agh. So frustrating.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree.
He's been at our club for a while. He has played a lot of ordinary games. A few OK ones and now 1 bloody fantastic one.
It was just good to see the kid take the game on and go for his leads with confidence. He certainly has a great reach on him.
Hope he can find more consistency in his game. I think he will start to show a bit more now but we cant expect a game like that every week.
Good on him:thumbsu: The kid must have a bit of ticker co's its not easy being in and out of the team and im sure the so called 'whipping boys' must see some of the crap that is written about them on social media and think WTF!!!
He seemed humble in his interviews and deflected his good game onto the team. Well done Rhys:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

On refection the way our forward line set up was about stretching them. Good delivery and a spread of guys that all looked dangerous were hurting Freo's team zones. isolating all their individuals upsets them. We moved the ball in fast and then ran an organised spread of talls. Bruce and Longer were deep but were happy to spread away from the goal square to clear it out. Roo and Stanley never stood still and used their athletic ability to not let the Freo defence stay in their zone position. Guys like Shenton, Gwilt and fisher were happy to take the defensive forwards of freo on and with Pav well help and punch drunk we had a very attacking game plan with out a lot of resistance.

He is still only 23 so should be coming into his prime as a KPF - 24 - 28. Showed what he can do, still expect him to have quiet days and I still think we need a number 1 KPF to replace Reiwoldt but I think Rhys can be a big part of our next challenge.

The crashing into the pack in the 3rd quarter drew comments from our members' area on Level 2.

A few points:

- when he wins a hitout, it's usually to advantage
- he's a CHF, so I wouldn't expect too many games with lots of goals
- he's one of the better field kicks in the team, so you want him up the ground hitting the wings and then delivering the ball into our forward 50
- he's improving with his leading patterns, learning from the best
- you'd rather have him kicking for goal from outside 40 rather than from 15-40 metres out

Rhys ability to kick a set shot from 55 metres is a massive weapon for us. Sure 50/50 chance when he may be a 66/34 chance from 40. But it is just about impossible to set up a defence to stop a tall leading forward from marking 50 out. Spread your defence out enough to stop it and you end up defending nothing.
I'd say he's more a 34/66 chance from inside 40m. Gets too far inside his own head, like Richo used to.

I'd say he's more a 34/66 chance from inside 40m. Gets too far inside his own head, like Richo used to.
Sorry I'm going to need something more specific. ;)

You're crazy. It's clearly more like he's a 33.86/66.14 chance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back