Weight: 96kg

Draft History: Pick 14 (Carlton), 2012 Rookie Draft

Recruited From: Templestowe/Morningside

Debut: Round 17, 2012 vs Western Bulldogs

Twitter: twitter.com/thomasbell91

Career Highlights: Video to be provided

2013 Forecast:

Draft rings true for new Blue Bell
Save for the draft screening, he had no real dealing with Carlton’s recruiters throughout - other than a fleeting moment during Morningside’s recent semi-final at Southport “when I was taking my place on the interchange bench and saw [Carlton’s National Recruiting Manager] Wayne Hughes taking photos of me”.

“After that I had a little idea I might get a call from him,” Bell said.

“To be honest I really don’t know anything about the Carlton Football Club. It’s all pretty new to me,” Bell said. “That said, I had a look at the facilities last year when I was down for the state championships and they’re unbelievable.”

“I’m very committed, I’m one of those people who’ll never give up and I’ll give 100 per cent in every aspect of the game,” he said.
Draft rings true for new Blue Bell

[YOUTUBE]m9BzuezvTpk[/YOUTUBE]

Tom Bell 2010 highlights

Tom Bell is AFLQ Rising Star
Now Blair, a father figure of Queensland football, wants another one. And he's identified 2010 premiership team member Tom Bell as a more than worthy target for AFL talent scouts.

"I'd love to see him (Bell) get drafted because if there's one player who deserves an opportunity it is him," Blair said.

"He's dedicated his entire life to the AFL dream for the last 18 months. Not only has he given up his full-time apprenticeship but he's applied himself incredibly well.

"He doesn't just train every day of the week he really puts in. He trains hard. That's been reflected in the improvement in his football this year - his kicking has improved immensely.

"He's one of the most coachable kids I've ever had anything to do with. He's a sponge. He takes in everything you say and he tries to use it to better himself. He loves footy that much."

"I really believe if he got a chance at an AFL club he'd take it with both hands and he wouldn't let anyone down. He's the perfect modern-day footballer," he said.
Tom Bell is AFLQ Rising Star

What the Blues say
Hughes says: "He had a really good year. He plays on a wing. Aerobically he's very good - a fifteen-and-a-half beep tester - and he's best described as a very tough footballer. At 95kg and 187cm, he's built like a brick outhouse."
What the Blues say

Was a bit of talk up here that he would get nabbed in the national draft, so you guys have done well to get him where you did.

Very attacking wingman/hbf. Nice height and doesn't mind the physicality of football. Very athletic type who loves to take on the opposition. Biggest knock would be his kicking, can be quite hit and miss at times. Plenty to work with though.

Was a bit of talk up here that he would get nabbed in the national draft, so you guys have done well to get him where you did.

Very attacking wingman/hbf. Nice height and doesn't mind the physicality of football. Very athletic type who loves to take on the opposition. Biggest knock would be his kicking, can be quite hit and miss at times. Plenty to work with though.

He'll fit right in then ;)

Cheers for the info, I really like the sound of this guy.

True enough Zee, it's amazing in the span of a couple years we've improved that area so much. I think our ball use can still let us down badly at times but there are other reasons for that besides pure kicking skills. We really are far better off than some of the others we could mention :)

On Tom, it's hard to judge from a highlights video, but I imagine with some work and just getting him to neaten his skills a bit that he'll be fine. Sorta like what we've done with Robbo.

Excerpt taken from review of VFL game against Frankston July 2012.

Bell... Terrific game from this player. Started a bit slowly, but was decked bhind play by an opposition player, seemed to stir him up. His attack and aggression & inside bullocking work at the ball was fantastic, and was everywhere either setting up or himself kicking some nice goals. Played particularly well in the 2nd half when Warnock was dominating the hitouts. Kicked 3 nice goals under pressure. Big impact on this game. Best game I've seen him play for the NBlues. Definately a keeper on this game. 9/10

This bloke seriously has incredible potential. Once he gets used to running the right lines in senior footy he will be a lethal weapon. That hit on Newman was a thing of beauty.

Is it wrong that I've already pencilled him into our Best 22 for 2013?

You can't help but love Bell and what he's doing. Blokes with his sort of attitude are absolute gold and well worth holding on to.

Skills need some work but his attitude is just brilliant. Will put his head over the ball without hesitation and he'll do anything he can to get it. Won't matter if there are a few opponents in his way, he'll try to bulldoze through them.

Can't wait to see him and Robbo in the same side.

Plenty to love about Tom and the way he's acquitting himself. Keep going with this sort of attitude and the coaching staff will find it exceptionally difficult to look him in the eye and tell him his performance in any given week isn't good enough.

Had a good feeling about him ever since I saw the VFL highlights video.

He just has something... besides being a crashing monster ;)

He seems to fit in pretty well too especially considering it's only his second game. Could be very interesting to see how he improves when he properly settles into AFL level.

Is it wrong that I've already pencilled him into our Best 22 for 2013?

No, because you can always erase it.
I'm loving Bell as much as anyone else, but his skills will need to improve to have him tabled as a definite starter.

Still though, he has come a long way in a short period of time and especially so considering he basically missed the first half of the year.

As long as he's putting in the efforts of the last 2 weeks, it will be his position to lose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

https://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208 /newsid/148102/default.aspx

so they elevate mr blunderbuss give away free kick merchant - Zach Tuohy and an unproven Casboult and an average midfielder in Curnow...whilst let other clubs have a look at Tom Bell because they won't have the room to elevate him.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

For me, he was about the only good thing about Carlton this year....admittedly I watched fewer Carlton matches than in past as it was so frigging depressing- yet he will probably end up at another club. Maybe Adelaide can get him - makes a double with Sam Jacobs.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208 /newsid/148102/default.aspx

so they elevate mr blunderbuss give away free kick merchant - Zach Tuohy and an unproven Casboult and an average midfielder in Curnow...whilst let other clubs have a look at Tom Bell because they won't have the room to elevate him.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

For me, he was about the only good thing about Carlton this year....admittedly I watched fewer Carlton matches than in past as it was so frigging depressing- yet he will probably end up at another club. Maybe Adelaide can get him - makes a double with Sam Jacobs.

I get that you're a fan of Bell, and I don't blame you. However, I don't see the point in talking down and under-rating other players just because they are possibly impeding him. The three guys that you mentioned have been in the system a lot longer and are far more proven at AFL level than Bell. Those three certainly deserve a promotion to the senior list. That doesn't mean that Bell doesn't deserve that promotion, but there are only so many spots available. He showed a lot of potential and toughness, but playing in a handful of games doesn't bump him above those other guys. All we can hope for is that he likes the club and appreciates us for giving him an opportunity this season, and will stay on as a rookie and keep working on his game with the assurances of the club that he is well and truly in our long-term plans.

I get that you're a fan of Bell, and I don't blame you. However, I don't see the point in talking down and under-rating other players just because they are possibly impeding him. The three guys that you mentioned have been in the system a lot longer and are far more proven at AFL level than Bell. Those three certainly deserve a promotion to the senior list. That doesn't mean that Bell doesn't deserve that promotion, but there are only so many spots available. He showed a lot of potential and toughness, but playing in a handful of games doesn't bump him above those other guys. All we can hope for is that he likes the club and appreciates us for giving him an opportunity this season, and will stay on as a rookie and keep working on his game with the assurances of the club that he is well and truly in our long-term plans.

Forget normal practice, who is a good bloke, who deserves promotion and who deserves to stay. I hope (if religious, would pray) that commonsense prevails in this case. This board (and all other supporters) has been screaming for a big bodied midfielder, despite a couple of rough edges, this kid is it. Surely the Malthouse broom will make room for the boy on the senior list. His value to the club going forward already outweighs over a third of the list. We have some great guys on our depth list, many are much loved and rightly so, however the likes of Davies, White, Ellard, Curnow, Lucas, Joseph, even Collins and Duigan would sit behind Bell in what they can bring to the side. Unless Malthouse makes dramatic changes to his game plan, we will not have much use for the hard working, yet limited tagger types, if they cannot reinvent, they will be in the crosshairs.

Trust me, I get what you're saying. I get it well and truly. We have been crying out for a guy like Bell, and it would be great to get him on the senior list. All I am saying is that his style of play isn't the ONLY thing we've been crying out for. For example, we've also been crying out for a big-bodied key forward, such as Levi.

My point is that while we'd all love Bell to be promoted, he isn't the only one who deserves it.

^^^^^^
I hope Tom is as loyal as you are to that McKinley fella
Can't go changing my name.. who would ever do that? only ever see products change their name if they need to re-invent themselves due to poor performance/sales..gotta look after the brand mate (will surely be changed if he gets delisted ;))
back on tom bell - please update us as soon as he re-signs

My point is that while we'd all love Bell to be promoted, he isn't the only one who deserves it.
Bell is not your average player. He is a physical freak. I doubt if there is anyone his height at AFL level who is bigger than he is. I doubt there is anyone who is his weight who has his engine or burst speed. Fair average players like Kennedy (Syd), Watson and Hayes (all similar height mids) did not show as much at the same age as Bell has shown this season.

If Bell plays no better than he played this year I want him in the starting 22. No one can know whether he will ever be in the class of the 3 I have just mentioned but IMO his trendlines suggest he will be every bit as good, and possibly better.

Now, like you I have much time for Tuohy, Casboult and Curnow. Casboult is thus far the least accomplished of the 3 but has the greatest upside. If any of those 3 walked and went to play for another club I would wish them well. I will be gutted if we lose Bell.

Stop pumping Bell up as the next Judd or Dustin Martin.

Injuries aside, I'd trade Bell for Gary Rohan in a heartbeat.
Gary Rohan is a very special talent so that's a fair call but I also think Bell is too, I really hope he stays as I think he will become a great player.

Gary Rohan is a very special talent so that's a fair call but I also think Bell is too, I really hope he stays as I think he will become a great player.

You really think Bell could become a great player?

I don't quite see it but I respect the opinion.
Just don't see his vision as being anything special just yet, but I'm in if you think so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back