Traded Tommy Walsh

Code:
Pos Number Player           Age    Games    Price        2009            2008            2007       
                            DT     SC     Played    DT Avg    SC Avg    Played    DT Avg     SC Avg    Played    DT Avg     SC Avg
FWD 36 WALSH, Tommy (Rookie)    21    0    $77,800    $83,400    0    0.0    0.0    0    0.0    0.0    0    0.0    0.0

stfan

The Fan in Waiting
Mar 12, 2008
Melb
AFL Club
St Kilda
Re: Sandringham Zebras 2010

Thanks for the reports.

However specifically how did Gaertner and Walsh go?

Walsh because he is just exciting and interesting see how he is going.

Gaertner because with Zac out of form another full back option is worth monitoring, especially after his early season form.

Right here and now of the players outside the 22 the ones I see as possible ins this year are:

* Steven. Looks to be "ready". Unfortunately for Steven he did his ankle at exactly the wrong time and is now in the queue behind Armo, Geary and Peake, as well as the more established Schneider and McQualter.
* Ben. Gardi and King are currently preferred, but injuries wil see him given more games (Gardo has on0going knee soreness I believe and so resting some weeks may be good for him). Steady improvement and he may pass King and particularly if he can make those marks up forward stick. Kin's ruckwork and 1 %ers currently give him the edge.
* Stanley. Still raw, but I expect the excitement machine to be given a taste at some stage while Roo is out.
* Gaertner is my smoky to tried at FB it if he continues to perform and if Zac continues to be out f sorts. Zac's second half as a key forward was his best football since 2009. However not many teams have 2 big forwards and so the Saints may consider dropping Zac and just using Blake there. If the Cat's current trial of three big forwards works against the better teams then another tall back may be required if Zac stays out of form. Johnno is a possible too, but we have seen little of his as yet.
* J Smith. If he gets back fit and match practiced he is too good not to get promoted.
* Dempster. Gwilt and Rraph may keep him out this year. Injuries may get him some games.

Eddy gets as peacial mention. He will play his guts out and be very good at VFL level, but unless we have a major injury run it is difficult to see him forcing his way back in.

Kosi is back this week and Roo in limbo.

The other Saints players I mainly see as being developed for future years.

A Smith could be a chance to take Peake's role, but will be a better proposition in 2011 once he has a few more kg of muscle.

Gaertner because with Zac out of form another full back option is worth monitoring, especially after his early season form.

A Smith could be a chance to take Peake's role, but will be a better proposition in 2011 once he has a few more kg of muscle.

Wool is a terrific athlete, and he can blow his opponent away despite being 199cm. Massive leap.

Whilst he doesn't tend to get done on the lead (a great strength for a full back), has been pinged a few times for putting his hand in an opponent's back when they prop (due to a bad kick, or just trying to win a free). Would be frustrating for him, as he's not actually pushing the opponent, but he'll need to learn how to use his hip and elbow (the umpires just pay the hands every time unless you're a top line player who gets a bit of slack).

When he gets the confidence that he's strong enough, or maybe he's just trying not to get too much into body-on-body contests given his main strengths, I've no doubt (assuming he keeps producing solid performances), the Saints should promote him onto the Senior List (although with Zac, Blake, Fish, Raph, Gwilt and Gilbo it may be an end of season thing).

Drago is an interesting one. Has so much to learn, like when the ball hit the behind post he threw the ball to a guy to kick in from the square (obviously thought it counts as a point). But I get the feeling he is learning quickly, and has the size, pace and depth of kicking. For mine, when he gets the hang of the game he'll be switched forward. But would think this will be after another half dozen games at least.

Dunno what to make of Ali S. Sometimes looks silky and a ball magnet, but can also drift out of games or struggle with his kicking. Probably need to watch him more closely for a few games.

blues2010

Team Captain
Jan 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
St Kilda

Thanks for the reports.

Right here and now of the players outside the 22 the ones I see as possible ins this year are:

* Steven. Looks to be "ready". Unfortunately for Steven he did his ankle at exactly the wrong time and is now in the queue behind Armo, Geary and Peake, as well as the more established Schneider and McQualter.
* Ben. Gardi and King are currently preferred, but injuries wil see him given more games (Gardo has on0going knee soreness I believe and so resting some weeks may be good for him). Steady improvement and he may pass King and particularly if he can make those marks up forward stick. Kin's ruckwork and 1 %ers currently give him the edge.
* Stanley. Still raw, but I expect the excitement machine to be given a taste at some stage while Roo is out.
* Gaertner is my smoky to tried at FB it if he continues to perform and if Zac continues to be out f sorts. Zac's second half as a key forward was his best football since 2009. However not many teams have 2 big forwards and so the Saints may consider dropping Zac and just using Blake there. If the Cat's current trial of three big forwards works against the better teams then another tall back may be required if Zac stays out of form. Johnno is a possible too, but we have seen little of his as yet.
* J Smith. If he gets back fit and match practiced he is too good not to get promoted.
* Dempster. Gwilt and Rraph may keep him out this year. Injuries may get him some games.

Eddy gets as peacial mention. He will play his guts out and be very good at VFL level, but unless we have a major injury run it is difficult to see him forcing his way back in.

Kosi is back this week and Roo in limbo.

The other Saints players I mainly see as being developed for future years.

Walsh is a project that is in its early stages and forget him for this year but I have seen him improve weekly but is unfair on him to think this year in terms of playing at the Saints
Gaertner to me was a bit disappointing in the first half and looked lethargic but after half time was pleased to see him turn it around and was much better, speaking to him after the game he said he felt flat in the first half but felt better in the second.
To me the story of the day was McEvoy, before yesterday I didn't rate him and thought Stanley was a better option but Big Ben was fantastic and really showed what the Saints see in him.
Jack Steven was another who was very good and ready to step up when needed, to me he is ahead of Ali Smith, who needs a bit more time to build up his body. I think the Saints will need to make sure Ben and Jack are kept out of the hands of Gold Coast(noticed their recruiter there) as I think they would be playing AFL at most other clubs and they are great backups and depth for the mighty Saints

blues2010

Team Captain
Jan 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
St Kilda

I think that Cahill back to Reserve grade is simply a structural thing. It allows him to continue developing as CHF while Pattison gets some experience there in the Ones with a view to seeing how he goes and possibly bringing him in to Saints at some stage in the future.

Walsh is at CHB which is a good learning spot as you are generally facing the direction you want to kick it - which simplifies it somewhat for him.
Can't see them dropping Pauly back to the seconds. His form this year has been very good and with Sautner out he will be the main focus up forward.
Willy are very strong but Sandy has a good side in and hopefully they can get up and prove themselves against one of the powerhouses of the VFL.
All will be revealed tomorrow.
Go Sandy

2010 VFL Reserves

Williamstown 3.2 7.3 11.5 14.5 (89)
Sandringham 1.1 4.2 5.5 7.11 (53)

GOALS:
Williamstown: Young 3 Dimartino 3 German 2 Florance 2 Lawson McCallum Fogarty Purton-Smith
Sandringham: Boland 2 Cahill Allan Worner Andrews Simpkin

BEST:
Williamstown: Dimartino Purton-Smith Tiller German Mugavin Tanner
Sandringham: Gower Stapleton Smith-Cameron Andrews Johnston Paterakis

REPORTED PLAYERS:
Williamstown: Nil
Sandringham: Nil

2010 VFL Seniors

Williamstown 0.2 4.5 4.7 9.9 (63)
Sandringham 5.4 5.5 9.9 9.10 (64)

GOALS:
Williamstown: Little 2 Panos 2 Jones 2 Wood Hill Stack
Sandringham: Irving 4 Tregear 3 Hutchings Archer

BEST:
Williamstown: Davies Wood Cravino Minson Jolley Markovic
Sandringham: Irving Pattison Tregear McEvoy Walsh Howard

REPORTED PLAYERS:
Williamstown: Nil
Sandringham: Nil

Well looking at that, There was clearly a wind favouring one end :p

Zagg

Club Legend
St Kilda Saints - Tom Ledger Sponsor 2013 St Kilda Saints - Tom Ledger 2012 Player Sponsor St Kilda Saints - Nicholas Heyne 2011 Player Sponsor St Kilda Saints - Nicholas Heyne 2010 Player Sponsor
Jul 16, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Norwich City

Good win and great to see Walsh in the best :thumbsu:

Zebs dominated first quarter - 2.7 to 0.3.

Rob Eddy plenty of touches but kicking is a bit off.

Walsh going well and growing in confidence.

Kazak struggling to get into the game.

Field kicking is poor from both teams despite good conditions.

Lynchy going OK - getting a few touches at ground level.

Pattison pretty good, Macca only fair at this stage.

Spoke to Blake McGrath - had some minor knee surgery but will play next week.

Couple of quick ones to Coburg early in the second with Wool having trouble with Polak. Kazak missed a relatively easy shot on goal. Sautner kicked his 2nd after some good work from Irving. 3.8 to 2.3.

Poor finish to the quarter with some errors down back and ordinary kicking into F50. Had most of the play but trail by 1 pt at half time. 4.9 to 5.4. Sautner 3 goals.

8 point win in the end, but they made hard work of it kicking 10.18 in near perfect footy conditions.

Kazak had a real tough day, along with a number of his Saints teammates.

Peake was pretty decent in the 2nd half, but it was mainly the Zebras players who stood up - Irving, Bruno, Magner and Tregear all getting their share of the ball. Hutchings was OK and goes in hard for a smaller type. Walsh played well pretty much the whole game - still learning.

Can provide reports on individual players on request, although not much to write home about.

vicco

Team Captain
Aug 3, 2009
Oakleigh
AFL Club
St Kilda
Re: Rhys Stanley is struggling

For some good news Tommy Walsh had a solid game in defence. Looked confident and got involved even directing other players around at times. Very promising.

Good to hear that "still learning" Walsh has been named among the best two weeks in a row.

If it takes him a couple of months to be among the best in a VFL team, how long until he is slightly above average on an AFL team.

His size, pace and ability to kick long means that Drago stands out at VFL level. Body positioning and reaction to his man is improving, along with disposal decisions, and his marking is pretty reliable. Hard to explain, but all those other little things are where the learnings are - like when to run off your man, when to shepherd, kicking on the left side, knowing when someone is running you down - but to tell you the truth, I've been surprised with the rate of his development.

The other thing to consider is that Wool is getting the best forwards, although noting that they are not playing Drago in defence to develop him into a backman.

Some stats of interest from the game (a number of strong performances):

Peake - 22 possessions, 7 tackles

Heyne - 21 poss. (10 contested), 9 tackles

Walsh - 17 poss., 11 marks

Ali Smith - 21 poss. (10 contested)

Rob Eddy - 5 tackles to go with his 28 poss.

Hutchings - 19 poss. (10 contested), 6 tackles

Wool - 18 poss. (9 contested)

Lynch - 19 poss. (13 contested), 6 marks

Macca - 13 poss., 8 tackles, 10 hitouts

Thanks , much appreciated.
Interesting to hear that analysis of Stanley and McEvoy's games.
What did you think of our Irish Lad.

What SS said. :thumbsu:

Tommy Walsh reports are always welcomed.

I'm happy to see his stats this week. I remember his intra-club performance and thinking this kid has a mountain to climb but to hear that he's holding his own in the VFL seniors is a real positive. With 17 kicks and 11 marks he's starting to get a bit of it too. You'd think the more he can get his hands on the ball the quicker his disposal and decision making will improve.

BTW thanks for the report Tiger. People like Squizzy, Blues2010 and Zebraman do a great job but it's nice to hear some thoughts on our players from an opposition supporters perspective.

Thanks for the updates.

2010 VFL Seniors

Port Melbourne 4.2 13.5 16.7 25.12 (162)
Sandringham 3.4 5.5 10.8 10.10 (70)

GOALS:
Port Melbourne: Sinclair 4 Galea 3 Raymond 3 McMahon 3 Lynch 2 Dalton Brewer Keddell Pinwill Dillon Thornton Martin Neville Bentick Valenti
Sandringham: Peake 2 Magner 2 Cahill Stanley Smith Heyne Sautner McEvoy

BEST:
Port Melbourne: McMahon Martin Raymond Pinwill McGrath Sandilands
Sandringham: Gallagher Walsh Gaertner Magner Tregear Irving

REPORTED PLAYERS:
Port Melbourne: NIL
Sandringham: NIL

Walsh again. Geezuz.

So anymore on JWS?

Zagg

Club Legend
St Kilda Saints - Tom Ledger Sponsor 2013 St Kilda Saints - Tom Ledger 2012 Player Sponsor St Kilda Saints - Nicholas Heyne 2011 Player Sponsor St Kilda Saints - Nicholas Heyne 2010 Player Sponsor
Jul 16, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Norwich City

Port smashed us, so I wouldn't read too much into the bests list. They probably had the best 6-7 on the ground.

Walsh was alright, but his man got the better of him a few times. He has a booming kick which could be a good weapon in the future. However he sometimes hesitates too much, which he can get away with at this level, but the faster pace of the AFL is probably too much for him at the moment.

JWS had a fair game. Some good stuff, but also a couple of clangers. Lovely goal and just great to see him back on the pitch again. He ran the game out without any problems.

Stanley went off either during the 2nd quarter or at half time. I saw him suited up at the 3/4 time huddle and he didn't look in any distress, so not sure what was wrong with him.

Squizzy can probably give a better assessment of most of the players - he was far better at recognising them than me. Was good to meet him and blues2010 - they both know their footy pretty well :thumbsu:

B10 mentioned Kazak playing a half was pre-planned. Did hurt us late, as Port had all the run at the end.

Bonnadio was pretty quiet in a comfortable win by Port, so the club would be pretty happy with Walsh. Couple of very long (60m) passes hit the target.

Macca played well around the ground in the second half, although we got beaten in the ruck again this week.

Wool was playing well until the Zebs thought it would be a good idea to put him up forward. The ball pretty much didn't go there for the rest of the game. If we wanted to make a move when PC went to full back, thought we erred in not putting Wool in the ruck (Macca could've gone forward).

Some good signs for JWS. I was quite surprised he played 1's, but as Zagg said he got through OK. Holding the ball 2-3 times, but was more some pretty severe officiating (we did not get the rub with the Port crowd baying all day for more free kicks) than being run down.

Thought Zeb players Hunter, Bruno, and Magner were good along with Gallagher.

Pattison, Smith, Eddy, Peake all OK. Rob Eddy would have to be the most smothered footballer in Australia - dunno how but even his handballs were getting deflected away today.

B10 said the 2's were up by 5 goals before being over-run in a thriller. Leigh Fish was the best player with 3 goals. Archer also 3 goals. Tommy S another game under his belt. Ooh Aah didn't play. B10 also mentioned the luckless Lynchy will miss 3 weeks which was a shame as he would have been handy today.

bluejay

All Australian
Oct 11, 2005
Barcelona
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
FC Barcelona
Re: Make a team from these players

I would have Jack Steven as a captain (having been captain at the Geelong Falcons counts a lot in his favour)!

For the rest, I have very high hopes on Tommy Walsh, let's hope he will develop nicely along the years (I'm a foreigner who hadn't even heard of aussie rules up until I was 25 and it took me 4-5 years of training and playing to begin getting a feel of the game and how to play it: how to react in different situations, when to go for the spoil or for the mark, or just what to do under pressure; so I suppose that with the kind of learning and training he's getting it would take at least 2 years to develop).

SaintsPremiers08

Club Legend
Apr 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Nuggets
Re: Time is right for Stanley

Time for Tommy Walsh IMO.
Apparently going very, very well in the 2's.
The kid is a FREAK. Surely would provide more than Kosi

sculls_6

Debutant
Apr 17, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Liverpool
Re: Time is right for Stanley

Time for Tommy Walsh IMO.
Apparently going very, very well in the 2's.
The kid is a FREAK. Surely would provide more than Kosi

Would love to see Tommy Walsh, if for no other reason than to get a glimpse of the future. I think Ross would be far more reluctant to throw in Tommy than Rhys however, confidence is a huge thing for someone who is just learning the game. If he were to come in and have a shocking game it could prove extremely disheartening to the big irishman, whereas for Rhys he would have a greater idea of what he would need to work on to improve.

Fingers crossed we will get a glimpse of Tommy before the end of the season, I don't believe it will happen anytime soon though.

Zagg

Club Legend
Jul 16, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Norwich City
Re: Tommy Walsh

any reports on how the guy is progressing i heard he was in the best last week? is he a chance this year ?
He's been named in the best for the past 3 weeks for Sandy. He still has a lot to learn about positioning, and I think he would get found out with the speed of the AFL as at the moment he's still learning and isn't as instinctive as someone who grew up playing the game. However he's strong and can take a decent mark. He also has a booming kick and when I watched Sandy on Saturday he kicked a good 60 metres direct to a target on a couple of occasions in the first quarter.

I'd say he's a slim chance to appear before the end of the year, but if he keeps progressing and appearing in the bests he may surprise us. Also if we have a few injuries he's a strong body capable of stepping in.

Jun 16, 2008
here
AFL Club
St Kilda

because he didn't grow up playing the game he will not be as predictable in our forward line where he can make acouple of mistakes. he has evasive skills for a big guy. if he could take acouple of marks a game. he can then take his time and kick 50+meter goals. he could not be worse than our present forwards. teams would not have done much homework on him either.

He's been named in the best for the past 3 weeks for Sandy. He still has a lot to learn about positioning, and I think he would get found out with the speed of the AFL as at the moment he's still learning and isn't as instinctive as someone who grew up playing the game. However he's strong and can take a decent mark. He also has a booming kick and when I watched Sandy on Saturday he kicked a good 60 metres direct to a target on a couple of occasions in the first quarter.

I'd say he's a slim chance to appear before the end of the year, but if he keeps progressing and appearing in the bests he may surprise us. Also if we have a few injuries he's a strong body capable of stepping in.

So cut to the chase, obviously he's not the football messiah just yet, but is he worse than Kosi?

Back