Retired #10: Mark McVeigh - Appointed coach of GWS Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

As much as it saddens me to think about it, it's best for both parties that he moves on.

Hopefully they let him choose a young player to take over his #10 for next season once the inevitable happens.

Thanks for everything Mark.

If this is it for him, id love for us to try and get him to GWS, don't really care if we got anything in return or not, Just so he can go out on his own terms.
He has been a pretty good leader of our club in one of its hardest times, and as it stands he wont even get a farewell game, i think that's pretty sad, so i hope things work out for him. Getting another year, finish under his original coach in sheeds, and mentor some young kids would be a nice way for him to go out, if they swung it so his last game was against essendon that would be a nice touch.

That is probably all just wishful thinking.

Good on him. Sad that his body let him down in the end as a 30 year old his old head and damaging left boot would have been handing next as we continue to blood players like Merrett and Kavanagh. I have no doubt that McVeigh will continue to work for the club.

Despite looking a bit foolish at different times over the last few years his passion to get the most out of himself, fly for marks and tackle like a mad man will be a good influence on the younger blokes around the place.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If this is it for him, id love for us to try and get him to GWS, don't really care if we got anything in return or not, Just so he can go out on his own terms.
He has been a pretty good leader of our club in one of its hardest times, and as it stands he wont even get a farewell game, i think that's pretty sad, so i hope things work out for him. Getting another year, finish under his original coach in sheeds, and mentor some young kids would be a nice way for him to go out, if they swung it so his last game was against essendon that would be a nice touch.

That is probably all just wishful thinking.

I would be surprised if Sheedy didn't give him a call. He is another of those senior players who would help give the kids a chop out.

Shame to see his career end like this, deserved to have a farewell match.

Sad to see the end, even though we all knew it was coming.

Thanks for the memories Spike, a quality player and great club man throughout a time of adversity for the club. He can retire happy knowing he got everything he could out of himself.

Hopefully we give him a lap of honour or a banner dedicated to him at the final home game against collingwood

We all saw this coming but I think we all expected him to break back into the side and finish out the year, you can see the burning passion for the EFC in him and it's so disappointing to lose someone that bleeds red and black.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back